1. EB Schmidt , H Arnesen , R de Caterina (2005) Marine n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease – Part I. Background, epidemiology, animal data, effects on risk factors and safety. Thromb Res 115, 163–170.
2. EB Schmidt , H Arnesen , JH Christensen (2005) Marine n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease – Part II: clinical trials and recommendations. Thromb Res 115, 257–262.
3. TA Mori & LJ Beilin (2001) Long-chain omega 3 fatty acids, blood lipids and cardiovascular risk reduction. Curr Opin Lipidol 12, 11–17.
4. D Mozaffarian & JH Wu (2011) Omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: effects on risk factors, molecular pathways, and clinical events. J Am Coll Cardiol 58, 2047–2067.
5. LJ Appel , ER Miller , AJ Seidler (1993) Does supplementation of diet with fish-oil reduce blood-pressure – a metaanalysis of controlled clinical-trials. Arch Intern Med 153, 1429–1438.
6. JM Geleijnse , EJ Giltay , DE Grobbee (2002) Blood pressure response to fish oil supplementation: metaregression analysis of randomized trials. J Hypertens 20, 1493–1499.
8. MC Morris , F Sacks & B Rosner (1993) Does fish-oil lower blood-pressure – a metaanalysis of controlled trials. Circulation 88, 523–533.
9. GE McVeigh , GM Brennan , JN Cohn (1994) Fish-oil improves arterial compliance in non-insulin-dependent diabetes-mellitus. Arterioscler Thromb 14, 1425–1429.
11. JP Chin (1994) Marine oils and cardiovascular reactivity. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 50, 211–222.
12. TA Mori , GF Watts , V Burke (2000) Differential effects of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on vascular reactivity of the forearm microcirculation in hyperlipidemic, overweight men. Circulation 102, 1264–1269.
13. WS Harris (1996) n-3 Fatty acids and lipoproteins: comparison of results from human and animal studies. Lipids 31, 243–252.
15. PC Calder (2001) Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and immunity. Lipids 36, 1007–1024.
17. TA Mori & LJ Beilin (2004) Omega-3 fatty acids and inflammation. Curr Atheroscler Rep 6, 461–467.
18. PC Calder (2012) The role of marine omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids in inflammatory processes, atherosclerosis and plaque stability. Mol Nutr Food Res 56, 1073–1080.
19. CN Serhan & NA Petasis (2011) Resolvins and protectins in inflammation resolution. Chem Rev 111, 5922–5943.
20. E Mas , RJ Woodman , V Burke (2010) The omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA decrease plasma F(2)-isoprostanes: results from two placebo-controlled interventions. Free Radic Res 44, 983–990.
21. TA Mori & RJ Woodman (2006) The independent effects of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on cardiovascular risk factors in humans. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 9, 95–104.
23. HC Bucher , P Hengstler , C Schindler (2002) n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids in coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Med 112, 298–304.
24. K He , YQ Song , ML Daviglus (2004) Accumulated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality – A meta-analysis of cohort studies. Circulation 109, 2705–2711.
25. SP Whelton , J He , PK Whelton (2004) Meta-analysis of observational studies on fish intake and coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol 93, 1119–1123.
26. EB Levitan , A Wolk & MA Mittleman (2009) Fish consumption, marine omega-3 fatty acids, and incidence of heart failure: a population-based prospective study of middle-aged and elderly men. Eur Heart J 30, 1495–1500.
27. D Mozaffarian , CL Bryson , RN Lemaitre (2005) Fish intake and risk of incident heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 45, 2015–2021.
28. K He , YQ Song , ML Daviglus (2004) Fish consumption and incidence of stroke – A meta-analysis of cohort studies. Stroke 35, 1538–1542.
29. P Xun , B Qin , Y Song (2012) Fish consumption and risk of stroke and its subtypes: accumulative evidence from a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Eur J Clin Nutr 66, 1199–1207.
33. M Yokoyama , H Origasa , M Matsuzaki (2007) Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on major coronary events in hypercholesterolaemic patients (JELIS): a randomised openlabel, blinded endpoint analysis. Lancet 369, 1090–1098.
35. D Mozaffarian , R Marchioli , A Macchia (2012) Fish oil and postoperative atrial fibrillation the omega-3 fatty acids for prevention of post-operative atrial fibrillation (OPERA) randomized trial. Jama-J Am Med Assoc 308, 2001–2011.
37. HO Dickinson , JM Mason , DJ Nicolson (2006) Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Hypertens 24, 215–233.
38. RS Dokholyan , CM Albert , LJ Appel (2004) Trial of omega-3 fatty acids for prevention of hypertension. Am J Cardiol 93, 1041–1043.
39. L Cobiac , PJ Nestel , LMH Wing (1992) A low-sodium diet supplemented with fish oil lowers blood-pressure in the elderly. J Hypertens 10, 87–92.
40. P Singer , S Melzer , M Goschel (1990) Fish oil amplifies the effect of propranolol in mild essential-hypertension. Hypertension 16, 682–691.
41. YK Lungershausen , M Abbey , PJ Nestel (1994) Reduction of blood-pressure and plasma triglycerides by omega-3-fatty-acids in treated hypertensives. J Hypertens 12, 1041–1045.
42. DQ Bao , TA Mori , V Burke (1998) Effects of dietary fish and weight reduction on ambulatory blood pressure in overweight hypertensives. Hypertension 32, 710–717.
43. TA Mori , DQ Bao , V Burke (1999) Docosahexaenoic acid but not eicosapentaenoic acid lowers ambulatory blood pressure and heart rate in humans. Hypertension 34, 253–260.
46. D Mozaffarian , A Geelen , IA Brouwer (2005) Effect of fish oil on heart rate in humans – A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Circulation 112, 1945–1952.
47. MP Pase , NA Grima & J Sarris (2011) Do long-chain n-3 fatty acids reduce arterial stiffness? A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Brit J Nutr 106, 974–980.
49. JH Christensen & EB Schmidt (2001) n-3 Fatty acids and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Lipids 36, S115–S118.
50. W Xin , W Wei & XY Li (2013) Short-term effects of fish-oil supplementation on heart rate variability in humans: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr 97, 926–935.
51. A Leaf , JX Kang , YF Xiao (2003) Clinical prevention of sudden cardiac death by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and mechanism of prevention of arrhythmias by n-3 fish oils. Circulation 107, 2646–2652.
54. WS Harris & D Bulchandani (2006) Why do omega-3 fatty acids lower serum triglycerides? Curr Opin Lipidol 17, 387–393.
55. AJ Cussons , GF Watts , TA Mori (2009) Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation decreases liver fat content in polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized controlled trial employing proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94, 3842–3848.
56. RJ Woodman , TA Mori , V Burke (2003) Docosahexaenoic acid but not eicosapentaenoic acid increases LDL particle size in treated hypertensive type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 26, 253.
57. J Hulthe , L Bokemark , J Wikstrand (2000) The metabolic syndrome, LDL particle size, and atherosclerosis – the atherosclerosis and insulin resistance (AIR) study. Arterioscler Throm Vas 20, 2140–2147.
58. S Lahdenpera , M Syvanne , J Kahri (1996) Regulation of low-density lipoprotein particle sire distribution in NIDDM and coronary disease: importance of serum triglycerides. Diabetologia 39, 453–461.
59. DC Chan , GF Watts , TA Mori (2002) Factorial study of the effects of atorvastatin and fish oil on dyslipidaemia in visceral obesity. Eur J Clin Invest 32, 429–436.
60. CE Friedberg , MJFM Janssen , RJ Heine (1998) Fish oil and glycemic control in diabetes – A meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 21, 494–500.
61. J Hartweg , R Perera , V Montori (2008) Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. Issue 1. Article number CD 003205. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003205.pub 2.
62. VM Montori , A Farmer , PC Wollan (2000) Fish oil supplementation in type 2 diabetes – A quantitative systematic review. Diabetes Care 23, 1407–1415.
63. TA Mori , LJ Beilin , V Burke (1997) Interactions between dietary fat, fish, and fish oils and their effects on platelet function in men at risk of cardiovascular disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17, 279–286.
64. SD Kristensen , AMB Iversen & EB Schmidt (2001) n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids and coronary thrombosis. Lipids 36, S79–S82.
66. G Bannenberg , M Arita & CN Serhan (2007) Endogenous receptor agonists: resolving inflammation. Sci World J 7, 1440–1462.
67. CN Serhan (2005) Novel eicosanoid and docosanoid mediators: resolvins, docosatrienes, and neuroprotectins. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8, 115–121.
68. CN Serhan (2005) Novel omega-3-derived local mediators in anti-inflammation and resolution. Pharmacol Ther 105, 7–21.
69. CN Serhan , SD Brain , CD Buckley (2007) Resolution of inflammation: state of the art, definitions and terms. FASEB J 21, 325–332.
70. CN Serhan & N Chiang (2013) Resolution phase lipid mediators of inflammation: agonists of resolution. Curr Opin Pharmacol 13, 632–640.
71. RR Ji , ZZ Xu , G Strichartz (2011) Emerging roles of resolvins in the resolution of inflammation and pain. Trends Neurosci 34, 599–609.
72. CN Serhan , N Chiang & TE Van Dyke (2008) Resolving inflammation: dual anti-inflammatory and pro-resolution lipid mediators. Nat Rev Immunol 8, 349–361.
73. I Tabas (2010) Macrophage death and defective inflammation resolution in atherosclerosis. Nat Rev Immunol 10, 36–46.
74. E Mas , KD Croft , P Zahra (2012) Resolvins D1, D2, and other mediators of self-limited resolution of inflammation in human blood following n-3 fatty acid supplementation. Clin Chem 58, 1476–1484.
75. F Thies , JMC Garry , P Yaqoob (2003) Association of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids with stability of atherosclerotic plaques: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 361, 477–485.
76. TA Mori , DW Dunstan , V Burke (1999) Effect of dietary fish and exercise training on urinary F2-isoprostane excretion in non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients. Metabolism 48, 1402–1408.
77. TA Mori , RJ Woodman , V Burke (2003) Effect of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on oxidative stress and inflammatory markers in treated-hypertensive type 2 diabetic subjects. Free Radic Biol Med 35, 772–781.
78. TA Mori , IB Puddey , V Burke (2000) Effect of omega 3 fatty acids on oxidative stress in humans: GC-MS measurement of urinary F2-isoprostane excretion. Redox Rep 5, 45–46.
79. GL Milne , HY Yin , KD Hardy (2011) Isoprostane Generation and Function. Chem Revi 111, 5973–5996.
80. AE Barden , TA Mori , JA Dunstan (2004) Fish oil supplementation in pregnancy lowers F2-isoprostanes in neonates at high risk of atopy. Free Radic Res 38, 233–239.
81. DM Lloyd-Jones , YL Hong , D Labarthe (2010) Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction the American heart association's strategic impact goal through 2020 and beyond. Circulation 121, 586–613.