1. GC Kennedy (1953) The role of depot fat in the hypothalamic control of food intake in the rat. Proc Royal Soc Lond B Biol Sci 140, 578–592.
2. SE Dominguez , JL Menkel , A Fairbrother (1993) The effect of 2,4-dinitrophenol on the metabolic rate of bobwhite quail. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 123, 226–233.
3. M Toyomizu , K Okamoto , M Tanaka (1992) Research note: effect of 2,4-dinitrophenol on growth and body composition of broilers. Poult Sci 71, 1096–1100.
4. CC Caldeira da Silva , FM Cerqueira , LF Barbosa (2008) Mild mitochondrial uncoupling in mice affects energy metabolism, redox balance and longevity. Aging Cell 7, 552–560.
5. WC Cutting , HG Mehrtens & ML Tainter (1933) Actions and uses of dinitrophenol. Promising metabolic applications. J Am Med Assoc 101, 193.
6. A Boveris & A Navarro (2008) Systemic and mitochondrial adaptive responses to moderate exercise in rodents. Free Radic Biol Med 44, 224–229.
7. V Golozoubova , H Gullberg , A Matthias (2004) Depressed thermogenesis but competent brown adipose tissue recruitment in mice devoid of all thyroid hormone receptors. Mol Endocrinol 18, 384–401.
9. L Nikonova , RA Koza , T Mendoza (2008) Mesoderm-specific transcript is associated with fat mass expansion in response to a positive energy balance. FASEB J 22, 3925–3937.
10. R Westerberg , JE Månsson , V Golozoubova (2006) ELOVL3 is an important component for early onset of lipid recruitment in brown adipose tissue. J Biol Chem 281, 4958–4968.
11. S Lee , A Dobrzyn , P Dobrzyn (2004) Lack of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 upregulates basal thermogenesis but causes hypothermia in a cold environment. J Lipid Res 45, 1674–1682.
12. H Sampath , MT Flowers , X Liu (2009) Skin-specific deletion of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 alters skin lipid composition and protects mice from high-fat diet-induced obesity. J Biol Chem 284, 19961–19973.
13. H Erikson , J Krog , KL Andersen (1956) The critical temperature in naked man. Acta Physiol Scand 37, 35–39.
14. J Nedergaard , V Golozoubova , A Matthias (2001) UCP1: the only protein able to mediate adaptive non-shivering thermogenesis and metabolic inefficiency. Biochim Biophys Acta 1504, 82–106.
16. N Petrovic , IG Shabalina , JA Timmons (2008) Thermogenically competent non-adrenergic recruitment in brown predipocytes by a PPARγ agonist. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295, E287–E296.
17. H Sell , JP Berger , P Samson (2004) Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonism increases the capacity for sympathetically mediated thermogenesis in lean and ob/ob mice. Endocrinology 145, 3925–3934.
18. P Trayhurn , PL Thurlby & W James (1977) Thermogenic defect in pre-obese ob/ob mice. Nature 266, 60–62.
20. NJ Rothwell & MJ Stock (1979) A role for brown adipose tissue in diet-induced thermogenesis. Nature 281, 31–35.
21. S Enerbäck , A Jacobsson , EM Simpson (1997) Mice lacking mitochondrial uncoupling protein are cold-sensitive but not obese. Nature 387, 90–94.
22. X Liu , M Rossmeisl , J McClaine (2003) Paradoxical resistance to diet-induced obesity in UCP1-deficient mice. J Clin Invest 111, 399–407.
23. HM Feldmann , V Golozoubova , B Cannon (2009) UCP1 ablation induces obesity and abolishes diet-induced thermogenesis in mice exempt from thermal stress by living at thermoneutrality. Cell Metab 9, 203–209.
24. J Nedergaard , T Bengtsson & B Cannon (2007) Unexpected evidence for active brown adipose tissue in adult humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293, E444–E452.
25. WD van Marken Lichtenbelt , JW Vanhommerig , NM Smulders (2009) Cold-activated brown adipose tissue in healthy men. N Engl J Med 360, 1500–1508.
26. KA Virtanen , ME Lidell , J Orava (2009) Functional brown adipose tissue in healthy adults. N Engl J Med 360, 1518–1525.
27. M Saito , Y Okamatsu-Ogura , M Matsushita (2009) High incidence of metabolically active brown adipose tissue in healthy adult humans: effects of cold exposure and adiposity. Diabetes 58, 1526–1531.
28. MC Zingaretti , F Crosta , A Vitali (2009) The presence of UCP1 demonstrates that metabolically active adipose tissue in the neck of adult humans truly represents brown adipose tissue. FASEB J (Epublication ahead of print version; doi: 10.1096/fj.09-133546).
30. N Nagai , N Sakane , LM Ueno (2003) The −3826 A→G variant of the uncoupling protein-1 gene diminishes postprandial thermogenesis after a high fat meal in healthy boys. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88, 5661–5667.
31. D Sramkova , S Krejbichova , J Vcelak (2007) The UCP1 gene polymorphism A-3826G in relation to DM2 and body composition in Czech population. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115, 303–307.