This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
7. SB Barnett & TA Nurmagambetov (2011) Costs of asthma in the United States: 2002–2007. J Allergy Clin Immunol 127, 145–152.
9. PJ Gergen , SJ Arbes Jr., A Calatroni (2009) Total IgE levels and asthma prevalence in the US population: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2006. J Allergy Clin Immunol 124, 447–453.
11. DC Malone , KA Lawson , DH Smith (1997) A cost of illness study of allergic rhinitis in the United States. J Allergy Clin Immunol 99, 22–27.
20. RD Semba (1998) The role of vitamin A and related retinoids in immune function. Nutr Rev 56, S38–S48.
21. MA Riedl & AE Nel (2008) Importance of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis and treatment of asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 8, 49–56.
25. A Ertesvag , N Engedal , S Naderi (2002) Retinoic acid stimulates the cell cycle machinery in normal T cells: involvement of retinoic acid receptor-mediated IL-2 secretion. J Immunol 169, 5555–5563.
27. T Feng , Y Cong , H Qin (2010) Generation of mucosal dendritic cells from bone marrow reveals a critical role of retinoic acid. J Immunol 185, 5915–5925.
28. F Geissmann , P Revy , N Brousse (2003) Retinoids regulate survival and antigen presentation by immature dendritic cells. J Exp Med 198, 623–634.
31. D Mucida , Y Park , G Kim (2007) Reciprocal TH17 and regulatory T cell differentiation mediated by retinoic acid. Science 317, 256–260.
33. GU Schuster , NJ Kenyon & CB Stephensen (2008) Vitamin A deficiency decreases and high dietary vitamin A increases disease severity in the mouse model of asthma. J Immunol 180, 1834–1842.
39. U Singh & S Devaraj (2007) Vitamin E: inflammation and atherosclerosis. Vitam Horm 76, 519–549.
40. D Pekmezci (2011) Vitamin E and immunity. Vitam Horm 86, 179–215.
44. S Devaraj & I Jialal (1999) Alpha-tocopherol decreases interleukin-1 beta release from activated human monocytes by inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol 19, 1125–1133.
45. A Munteanu & JM Zingg (2007) Cellular, molecular and clinical aspects of vitamin E on atherosclerosis prevention. Mol Asp Med 28, 538–590.
46. M Li-Weber , M Giaisi , MK Treiber (2002) Vitamin E inhibits IL-4 gene expression in peripheral blood T cells. Eur J Immunol 32, 2401–2408.
47. R Dworski , W Han , TS Blackwell (2011) Vitamin E prevents NRF2 suppression by allergens in asthmatic alveolar macrophages in vivo. Free Radic Biol Med 51, 516–521.
49. I Romieu & C Trenga (2001) Diet and obstructive lung diseases. Epidemiol Rev 23, 268–287.
54. I Romieu , JJ Sienra-Monge , M Ramirez-Aguilar (2002) Antioxidant supplementation and lung functions among children with asthma exposed to high levels of air pollutants. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166, 703–709.
57. MF Holick (2007) Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 357, 266–281.
61. H Sahota , H Barnett , M Lesosky (2008) Association of vitamin D related information from a telephone interview with 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17, 232–238.
64. RP Heaney & MF Holick (2011) Why the IOM recommendations for vitamin D are deficient. J Bone Miner Res 26, 455–457.
65. MF Holick (2006) High prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy and implications for health. Mayo Clin Proc 81, 353–373.
70. BA Raby , R Lazarus , EK Silverman (2004) Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms with childhood and adult asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170, 1057–1065.
71. A Saadi , G Gao , H Li (2009) Association study between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and asthma in the Chinese Han population: a case-control study. BMC Med Genet 10, 71.
72. C Vollmert , T Illig , J Altmuller (2004) Single nucleotide polymorphism screening and association analysis–exclusion of integrin beta 7 and vitamin D receptor (chromosome 12q) as candidate genes for asthma. Clin Exp Allergy 34, 1841–1850.
73. M Wjst (2005) Variants in the vitamin D receptor gene and asthma. BMC Genet 6, 2.
76. A Wittke , A Chang , M Froicu (2007) Vitamin D receptor expression by the lung micro-environment is required for maximal induction of lung inflammation. Arch Biochem Biophys 460, 306–313.
79. AS Dusso , AJ Brown & E Slatopolsky (2005) Vitamin D. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289, F8–28.
80. SV Ramagopalan , A Heger , AJ Berlanga ( 2010)A ChIP-seq defined genome-wide map of vitamin D receptor binding: Associations with disease and evolution. Genome Res 20, 1352–1360.
82. AA Litonjua (2009) Childhood asthma may be a consequence of vitamin D deficiency. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 9, 202–207.
88. N Akeno , S Saikatsu , T Kawane (1997) Mouse vitamin D-24-hydroxylase: molecular cloning, tissue distribution, and transcriptional regulation by 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Endocrinology 138, 2233–2240.
89. BD Mahon , A Wittke , V Weaver (2003) The targets of vitamin D depend on the differentiation and activation status of CD4 positive T cells. J Cell Biochem 89, 922–932.
97. YA Taher , BC van Esch , GA Hofman (2008) 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 potentiates the beneficial effects of allergen immunotherapy in a mouse model of allergic asthma: role for IL-10 and TGF-beta. J Immunol 180, 5211–5221.
98. PH Burri (1984) Fetal and postnatal development of the lung. Annu Rev Physiol 46, 617–628.
100. L Marin , ME Dufour , C Tordet 1,25(OH)2D3 stimulates phospholipid biosynthesis and surfactant release in fetal rat lung explants. Biol Neonate 57, 257–260.
104. VK Rehan , JS Torday , S Peleg (2002) 1Alpha,25-dihydroxy-3-epi-vitamin D3, a natural metabolite of 1alpha,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3: production and biological activity studies in pulmonary alveolar type II cells. Mol Genet Metab 76, 46–56.
108. B Lunghi , E Meacci , M Stio (1995) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 inhibits proliferation of IMR-90 human fibroblasts and stimulates pyruvate kinase activity in confluent-phase cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol 115, 141–148.
110. PN Black & R Scragg (2005) Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and pulmonary function in the third national health and nutrition examination survey. Chest 128, 3792–3798.
112. AM Tolppanen , D Williams , J Henderson (2011) Serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D and ionised calcium in relation to lung function and allergen skin tests. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, 493–500.
113. F Li , M Peng , L Jiang (2011) Vitamin D deficiency is associated with decreased lung function in Chinese adults with asthma. Respiration 81, 469–475.
114. SO Shaheen , KA Jameson , SM Robinson (2011) Relationship of vitamin D status to adult lung function and COPD. Thorax 66, 692–698.
119. M Erkkola , M Kaila , BI Nwaru (2009) Maternal vitamin D intake during pregnancy is inversely associated with asthma and allergic rhinitis in 5-year-old children. Clin Exp Allergy 39, 875–882.
120. Y Miyake , S Sasaki , K Tanaka (2010) Dairy food, calcium and vitamin D intake in pregnancy, and wheeze and eczema in infants. Eur Respir J 35, 1228–1234.
122. CR Gale , SM Robinson , NC Harvey (2007) Maternal vitamin D status during pregnancy and child outcomes. Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 68–77.
123. CA Camargo Jr, T Ingham , K Wickens (2011) Cord-blood 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of respiratory infection, wheezing, and asthma. Pediatrics 127, e180–e187.
124. J Hill , A Micklewright , S Lewis (1997) Investigation of the effect of short-term change in dietary magnesium intake in asthma. Eur Respir J 10, 2225–2229.
126. JM Brehm , B Schuemann , AL Fuhlbrigge (2010) Serum vitamin D levels and severe asthma exacerbations in the Childhood Asthma Management Program study. J Allergy Clin Immunol 126, 52–58 e5.
128. DA Searing , Y Zhang , JR Murphy (2010) Decreased serum vitamin D levels in children with asthma are associated with increased corticosteroid use. J Allergy Clin Immunol 125, 995–1000.
129. M Urashima , T Segawa , M Okazaki (2010) Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 1255–1260.
130. P Majak , M Olszowiec-Chlebna , K Smejda (2011) Vitamin D supplementation in children may prevent asthma exacerbation triggered by acute respiratory infection. J Allergy Clin Immunol 127, 1294–1296.