This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
22. N Heslehurst , R Lang , J Rankin (2007) Obesity in pregnancy: a study of the impact of maternal obesity on NHS maternity services. BJOG 114, 334–342.
26. L Poston , LF Harthoon , EM Van der Beek . (2011) Obesity in pregnancy: implications for the mother and lifelong health of the child. A consensus statement. Pediatr Res 69, 175–180.
28. B Abrams , S Carmichael & S Selvin (1995) Factors associated with the pattern of maternal weight gain during pregnancy. Obstet Gynaecol 86, 170–176.
29. S Carmichael , B Abrams & S Selvin (1997) The pattern of maternal weight gain in women with good pregnancy outcomes. Am J Public Health 87, 1984–1988.
30. N Heslehurst , J Rankin , JR Wilkinson (2010) A nationally representative study of maternal obesity in England, UK: trends in incidence and demographic inequalities in 619 323 births, 1989–2007. Int J Obes 34, 420–428.
31. M Knight , JJ Kurinczuk , P Spark (2010) Extreme obesity in pregnancy in the United Kingdom. Obstet Gynecol 115, 989–997.
33. N Heslehurst , LJ Ells , H Simpson (2007) Trends in maternal obesity incidence rates, demographic predictors, and health inequalities in 36 821 women over a 15-year period. BJOG 114, 187–194.
34. MG Kanagalingam , NG Forouhi , IA Greer (2005) Changes in booking body mass index over a decade: retrospective analysis from a Glasgow Maternity Hospital. BJOG 112, 1431–1433.
35. TS Usha Kiran , S Hemmadi , J Bethel (2005) Outcome of pregnancy in a woman with an increased body mass index. BJOG 112, 768–772.
37. PWG Tennant , J Rankin & R Bell (2011) Maternal body mass index and the risk of fetal and infant death; a cohort study from the North of England. Hum Reprod. Epublication ahead of print.
38. H Lashen , K Fear & DW Sturdee (2004) Obesity is associated with increased risk of first trimester and recurrent miscarriage: matched case-control study. Hum Reprod 19, 1644–1646.
39. TE O'Brien , JG Ray & WS Chan (2003) Maternal body mass index and the risk of preeclampsia: a systematic overview. Epidemiology 14, 368.
40. D Rajasingam , PT Seed , AL Briley (2009) A prospective study of pregnancy outcome and biomarkers of oxidative stress in nulliparous obese women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 200, 395.e1–395.e9.
41. MR Torloni , AP Betrán , BL Horta (2008) Prepregnancy BMI and the risk of gestational diabetes: a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis. Obes Rev 10, 194–203.
42. N Heslehurst , H Simpson , LJ Ells (2008) The impact of maternal BMI status on pregnancy outcomes with immediate short-term obstetric resource implications: a meta-analysis. Obes Rev 9, 635–683.
43. AS Poobalan , LS Aucott , T Gurung (2008) Obesity as an independent risk factor for elective and emergency caesarean delivery in nulliparous women – systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Obes Rev 10, 28–35.
44. KJ Stothard , PWG Tennant , R Bell (2009) Maternal overweight and obesity and the risk of congenital anomalies: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 301, 636–650.
45. J Rankin , P Tennant , K Stothard (2010) Maternal obesity and congenital anomaly risk: a cohort study. Int J Obes 34, 1371–1380.
46. MR Torloni , AP Betran , S Daher (2009) Maternal BMI and preterm birth: a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 22, 957–970.
47. E Oken & MW Gillman (2003) Fetal origins of obesity. Obes Res 11, 496–506.
48. E Oken (2009) Maternal and child obesity: the causal link. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 36, 361–377.
49. TJ Parsons , C Power & O Manor (2001) Fetal and early life growth and body mass index from birth to early adulthood in 1958 British cohort: longitudinal study [see comment]. BMJ 323, 1331.
50. JE Ramsay , I Greer & N Sattar (2006) Obesity and reproduction. BMJ 333, 1159–1162.
51. SY Chu , DJ Bachman , WM Callaghan (2008) Association between obesity during pregnancy and increased use of health care. New Engl J Med 358, 1444.
54. RM Puhl & CA Heuer (2009) The stigma of obesity: a review and update. Obesity 17, 941–964.
55. MM Rogge , M Greenwald & A Golden (2004) Obesity, stigma, and civilised oppression. Adv Nurs Sci 27, 301–315.
56. E Oteng-Ntim , H Pheasant , N Khazaezadeh (2010) Developing a community-based maternal obesity intervention: a qualitative study of service providers’ views. BJOG 117, 1651–1655.
58. E Merrill & J Grassley (2008) Women's stories of their experiences as overweight patients. J Adv Nurs 64, 139–146.
59. TA Wadden & E Didie (2003) What's in a name? patients' preferred terms for describing obesity. Obes Res 11, 1140–1146.
60. J Keenan & H Stapleton (2010) Bonny babies? Motherhood and nurturing in the age of obesity. Health, Risk Soc 12, 369–383.
62. VMK Nyman , AK Prebensen & GEM Flensner (2010) Obese women's experiences of encounters with midwives and physicians during pregnancy and childbirth. Midwifery 26, 424–429.
63. I Brown & J Thompson (2007) Primary care nurses' attitudes, beliefs, and own body size in relation to obesity management. J Adv Nurs 60, 535–543.