This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PR Thomas (editor) (1995) Weighing the Options. Criteria for Evaluating Weight-Management Programs. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
4. T Costacou & EJ Mayer-Davis (2003) Nutrition and prevention of type 2 diabetes. Annu Rev Nutr 23, 147–170.
5. C Daousi , IF Casson , GV Gill , IA MacFarlane , JP Wilding & JH Pinkney (2006) Prevalence of obesity in type 2 diabetes in secondary care: association with cardiovascular risk factors. Postgrad Med J 82, 280–284.
6. MJ Legato , A Gelzer , R Goland , SA Ebner , S Rajan , V Villagra & M Kosowski (2006) Gender-specific care of the patient with diabetes: review and recommendations. Gend Med 3, 131–158.
7. CA Maggio & FX Pi-Sunyer (2003) Obesity and type 2 diabetes. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 32, 805–822.
8. M Parillo & G Riccardi (2004) Diet composition and the risk of type 2 diabetes: epidemiological and clinical evidence. Br J Nutr 92, 7–19.
9. NP Steyn , J Mann , PH Bennett , N Temple , P Zimmet , J Tuomilehto , J Lindstrom & A Louheranta (2004) Diet, nutrition and the prevention of type 2 diabetes. Public Health Nutr 7, 147–165.
12. ES Ford , DF Williamson & S Liu (1997) Weight change and diabetes incidence: findings from a national cohort of US adults. Am J Epidemiol 146, 214–222.
13. LL Moore , AJ Visioni , PW Wilson , RB D'Agostino , WD Finkle & RC Ellison (2000) Can sustained weight loss in overweight individuals reduce the risk of diabetes mellitus? Epidemiology 11, 269–273.
14. SG Wannamethee & AG Shaper (1999) Weight change and duration of overweight and obesity in the incidence of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 22, 1266–1272.
15. J Tuomilehto , J Lindstrom & J Eriksson (2001) Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med 344, 1343–1350.
16. RR Wing , E Venditti , JM Jakicic , BA Polley & W Lang (1998) Lifestyle intervention in overweight individuals with a family history of diabetes. Diabetes Care 21, 350–359.
17. SD Long , K O'Brien , KG MacDonald Jr, N Leggett-Frazier , MS Swanson , WJ Pories & JF Caro (1994) Weight loss in severely obese subjects prevents the progression of impaired glucose tolerance to type II diabetes. A longitudinal interventional study. Diabetes Care 17, 372–375.
18. CD Sjostrom , M Peltonen , H Wedel & L Sjostrom (2000) Differentiated long-term effects of intentional weight loss on diabetes and hypertension. Hypertension 36, 20–25.
19. WJ Pories , KG MacDonald Jr, EG Flickinger (1992) Is type II diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) a surgical disease? Ann Surg 215, 633–643.
21. DF Williamson , TJ Thompson , M Thun , D Flanders , E Pamuk & T Byers (2000) Intentional weight loss and mortality among overweight individuals with diabetes. Diabetes Care 23, 1499–1504.
22. N Chaturvedi & JH Fuller (1995) Mortality risk by body weight and weight change in people with NIDDM. The WHO Multinational Study of Vascular Disease in Diabetes. Diabetes Care 18, 766–774.
23. EW Gregg , RB Gerzoff , TJ Thompson & DF Williamson (2004) Trying to lose weight, losing weight, and 9-year mortality in overweight U.S. adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care 27, 657–662.
24. CL Gillies , KR Abrams , PC Lambert , NJ Cooper , AJ Sutton , RT Hsu & K Khunti (2007) Pharmacological and lifestyle interventions to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br Med J 334, 299.
26. JS Torgerson , J Hauptman , MN Boldrin & L Sjostrom (2004) XENical in the prevention of diabetes in obese subjects (XENDOS) study: a randomized study of orlistat as an adjunct to lifestyle changes for the prevention of type 2 diabetes in obese patients. Diabetes Care 27, 155–161.
28. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group (1998) Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34). Lancet 352, 854–865.
30. AE Field , T Byers , DJ Hunter , NM Laird , JE Manson , DF Williamson , WC Willett and GA Colditz (1999) Weight cycling, weight gain, and risk of hypertension in women. Am J Epidemiol 150, 573–579.
34. JL Chiasson , RG Josse , R Gomis , M Hanefeld , A Karasik , M Laakso & STOP-NIDDM Trial Research Group (2002) Acarbose for prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus: the STOP-NIDDM randomised trial. Lancet 359, 2072–2077.
35. J Lindstrom , A Louheranta , M Mannelin , M Rastas , V Salminen , J Eriksson , M Uusitupa & J Tuomilehto for the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study Group (2003) The Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study (DPS, Lifestyle intervention and 3-year results on diet and physical activity. Diabetes Care 26, 3230–3236.