This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. BJ Rolls , M Hetherington & VJ Burley (1988) The specificity of satiety: the influence of foods of different macronutrient content on the development of satiety. Physiol Behav 43, 145–153.
4. SJ Nielsen & BM Popkin (2003) Patterns and trends in food portion sizes, 1977–1998. JAMA 289, 450–453.
5. H Smiciklas-Wright , DC Mitchell , SJ Mickle (2003) Foods commonly eaten in the United States, 1989–1991 and 1994–1996: are the portion sizes changing? J Am Diet Assoc 103, 41–47.
6. LR Young & M Nestle (2002) The contribution of expanding portion sizes to the US obesity epidemic. Am J Public Health 92, 246–249.
7. LR Young & M Nestle (2007) Portion sizes and obesity: responses of fast-food companies. J Public Health Policy 28, 238–248.
10. BJ Rolls , LS Roe , JS Meengs (2004) Increasing the portion size of a sandwich increases energy intake. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 367–372.
11. BJ Rolls , LS Roe , TVE Kral (2004) Increasing the portion size of a packaged snack increases energy intake in men and women. Appetite 42, 63–69.
12. N Diliberti , P Bordi , MT Conklin (2004) Increased portion size leads to increased energy intake in a restaurant meal. Obes Res 12, 562–568.
15. BJ Rolls , LS Roe & JS Meengs (2006) Larger portion sizes lead to sustained increase in energy intake over two days. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 543–549.
16. GA Bray , JP Flatt , J Volaufova (2008) Corrective responses in human food intake identified from an analysis of 7-d food-intake records. Am J Clin Nutr 88, 1504–1510.
17. BJ Rolls , LS Roe & JS Meengs (2007) The effect of large portion sizes on energy intake is sustained for 11 days. Obesity 15, 1535–1543.
18. RW Jeffery , S Rydell , CL Dunn (2007) Effects of portion size on chronic energy intake. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 27.
19. KL McConahy , H Smiciklas-Wright , LL Birch (2002) Food portions are positively related to energy intake and body weight in early childhood. J Pediatr 140, 340–347.
20. JO Fisher & TV Kral (2008) Super-size me: portion size effects on young children's eating. Physiol Behav 94, 39–47.
21. S Lioret , JL Volatier , L Lafay (2009) Is food portion size a risk factor of childhood overweight? Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 382–391.
22. BJ Rolls , D Engell & LL Birch (2000) Serving portion size influences 5-year-old but not 3-year old children's food intakes. J Am Diet Assoc 100, 232–234.
23. JO Fisher (2007) Effects of age on children's intake of large and self-selected food portions. Obesity 15, 403–412.
24. KE Leahy , LL Birch , JO Fisher (2008) Reductions in entrée energy density increase children's vegetable intake and reduce energy intake. Obesity 16, 1559–1565.
27. LL Birch , L McPhee , BC Shoba (1987) Clean up your plate: effects of child feeding practices on the conditioning of meal size. Learn Motiv 18, 301–317.
29. C Berg , G Lappas , A Wolk (2009) Eating patterns and portion size associated with obesity in a Swedish population. Appetite 52, 21–26.
30. BJ Rolls (2003) The supersizing of America: portion size and the obesity epidemic. Nutr Today 38, 42–53.
31. WM Vermeer , IH Steenhuis & JC Seidell (2009) From the point-of-purchase perspective: a qualitative study of the feasibility of interventions aimed at portion-size. Health Policy 90, 73–80.
32. R Coelho do Vale , R Pieters & M Zeelenberg (2008) Flying under the radar: Perverse package size effects on consumption self-regulation. J Consum Res 35, 380–390.
33. ML Scott , SM Nowlis , N Mandel (2008) The effects of reduced food size and package size on the consumption behavior of restrained and unrestrained eaters. J Consum Res 35, 391–405.
34. SB Heymsfield , CA van Mierlo , HC van der Knaap (2003) Weight management using a meal replacement strategy: meta and pooling analysis from six studies. Int J Obes (Lond) Relat Metab Disord 27, 537–549.
36. HR Kissileff , LP Gruss , J Thornton (1984) The satiating efficiency of foods. Physiol Behav 32, 319–332.
37. A Himaya & J Louis-Sylvestre (1998) The effect of soup on satiation. Appetite 30, 199–210.
38. BJ Rolls , IC Fedoroff , JF Guthrie (1990) Effects of temperature and mode of presentation of juice on hunger, thirst and food intake in humans. Appetite 15, 199–208.
40. JE Flood & BJ Rolls (2007) Soup preloads in a variety of forms reduce meal energy intake. Appetite 49, 626–634.
41. BJ Rolls , LS Roe & JS Meengs (2004) Salad and satiety: energy density and portion size of a first course salad affect energy intake at lunch. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 1570–1576.
46. LL Birch & M Deysher (1985) Conditioned and unconditioned caloric compensation: evidence for self-regulation of food intake in young children. Learn Motiv 16, 341–355.
48. M Hetherington , C Wood & SC Lyburn (2000) Response to energy dilution in the short term: evidence of nutritional wisdom in young children? Nutr Neurosci 3, 321–329.
51. KE Leahy , LL Birch & BJ Rolls (2008) Reducing the energy density of an entrée decreases children's energy intake at lunch. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 41–48.
52. KE Leahy , LL Birch & BJ Rolls (2008) Reducing the energy density of multiple meals decreases the energy intake of preschool-age children. Am J Clin Nutr 88, 1459–1468.
53. TVE Kral & BJ Rolls (2004) Energy density and portion size: their independent and combined effects on energy intake. Physiol Behav 82, 131–138.
54. BJ Rolls , LS Roe , AM Beach (2005) Provision of foods differing in energy density affects long-term weight loss. Obes Res 13, 1052–1060.
57. LF Greene , CZ Malpede , CS Henson (2006) Weight maintenance 2 years after participation in a weight loss program promoting low-energy density foods. Obesity 14, 1795–1801.
58. MR Lowe , KA Tappe , RA Annunziato (2008) The effect of training in reduced energy density eating and food self-monitoring accuracy on weight loss maintenance. Obesity 16, 2016–2023.
59. FM Sacks , GA Bray , VJ Carey (2009) Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. N Engl J Med 360, 859–873.
62. JH Ledikwe , HM Blanck , LK Khan (2006) Low-energy-density diets are associated with high diet quality in adults in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1172–1180.
63. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2005) Energy density of diets reported by American adults: association with food group intake, nutrient intake, and body weight. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 950–956.
65. DN Cox & DJ Mela (2000) Determination of energy density of freely selected diets: methodological issues and implications. Int J Obes (Lond) Relat Metab Disord 24, 49–54.
67. LL Birch & AK Ventura (2009) Preventing childhood obesity: what works? Int J Obes (Lond) 33, S74–S81.
68. LH Epstein , CC Gordy , HA Raynor (2001) Increasing fruit and vegetable intake and decreasing fat and sugar intake in families at risk for childhood obesity. Obes Res 9, 171–178.
69. LH Epstein , RA Paluch , MD Beecher (2008) Increasing healthy eating vs. reducing high energy-dense foods to treat pediatric obesity. Obesity 16, 318–326.
72. L Johnson , AP Mander , LR Jones (2008) A prospective analysis of dietary energy density at age 5 and 7 years and fatness at 9 years among UK children. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 586–593.