This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. JC Seidell (2000) Obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes – a worldwide epidemic. Br J Nutr 83, S5–S8.
3. IR Guschina & JL Harwood (2006) Lipids and lipid metabolism in eukaryotic algae. Prog Lipid Res 45, 160–186.
4. NM Bandara , I Batista , ML Nunes (1997) Seasonal changes in lipid composition of Sardine (Sardina pilchardus). J Food Sci 62, 40–42.
5. I Aidos , A van der Padt , JB Luten (2002) Seasonal changes in crude and lipid composition of herring fillets, byproducts, and respective produced oils. J Agric Food Chem 50, 4589–4599.
6. G Kralik , Z Škrtić , P Suchý (2008) Feeding fish oil and linseed oil to laying hens to increase the n-3 PUFA of egg yolk. Acta Vet Brno 77, 561–568.
7. CHS Ruxton , PC Calder , SC Reed (2005) The impact of LC n-3 PUFA on human health. Nutr Res Rev 18, 113–129.
8. GC Burdge & PC Calder (2006) Dietary alpha-linolenic acid and health-related outcomes: a metabolic perspective. Nutr Res Rev 19, 26–52.
10. EA Emken , RO Adlof & RM Gulley (1994) Dietary linolenic acid influences desaturation and acylation of deuterium-labeled linoleic and linolenic acids in young-adult males. Biochim Biophys Acta 1213, 277–288.
14. GC Burdge & PC Calder (2005) α-Linolenic acid metabolism in adult humans: the effects of gender and age on conversion to longer-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Eur J Lipid Sci 107, 426–439.
15. GC Burdge (2006) Metabolism of alpha-linolenic acid in humans. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 75, 161–168.
16. LG Cleland , RA Gibson , J Pedler (2005) Paradoxical effect of n-3 containing vegetable oils on long-chain n-3 fatty acids in rat heart. Lipids 40, 995–998.
17. AP Simpoulous (1999) New products from the agri-food industry: The return of the n-3 fatty acids into the food supply. Lipids 34, S297–S301.
18. G Ailhaud , P Guesnet & S Cunnane (2008) An emerging risk factor for obesity: does disequilibrium of polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism contribute to excessive adipose development? Br J Nutr 100, 461–470.
20. AH Stark , MA Crawford & R Reifen (2008) Update on alpha-linolenic acid. Nutr Rev 66, 326–332.
21. HM Roche , C Philips & MJ Gibney (2005) Metabolic syndrome: The crossroads of diet and genetics. Proc Nutr Soc 64, 371–377.
22. DI Shaw , WL Hall & CM Williams (2005) Metabolic syndrome: What is it and what are the implications? Proc Nutr Soc 64, 349–357.
25. H Sinclair (1982) The relative importance of essential fatty acids of the linoleic and linolenic families: studies with an Eskimo diet. Prog Lipid Res 20, 897–899.
29.GISSI-Prevenzione (1999) Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results of the GISSI-prevenzione trial. Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell'Infarto miocardico. Lancet 354, 447–455.
31. K He , Y Song , ML Daviglus (2004) Accumlated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality: A meta-analysis of cohort studies. Ciculation 109, 2705–2711.
34. M Makrides , K Summer , M Goggin (1993) Erythrocyte docosahexaenoic acid correlates with the visual response of healthy, term infants. Pediatr Res 33, 425–427.
38. JP San Giovanni , S Parra-Cabrera , GA Colditz (2000) Meta-analysis of dietary essential fatty acids and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids as they relate to visual resolution acuity in healthy preterm infants. Pediatrics 105, 1292–1298.
39. C Agostini , S Trojan , R Bekku (1997) Developmental quotient at 24 months and fatty acid composition of diet in early infancy: a follow up study. Arch Dis Child 76, 421–424.
40. P Willatts , JS Forsyth , MK DiMogugno (1998) Influence of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids on infant cognitive function. Lipids 33, 973–980.
41. DL O'Connor , R Hall , D Adamkin (2001) Growth and development in preterm infants fed long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids: a prospective, randomised controlled trial. Pediatrics 108, 359–371.
42. IB Helland , L Smith , OD Saarem (2003) Maternal supplementation with very-long-chain n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation augments children's IQ at 4 years of age. Pediatrics 111, 39–44.
43. M Neuringer , GJ Anderson & WE Connor (1988) The essentiality of n-3 fatty acids for the development and function of the retina and brain. Ann Rev Nutr 8, 517–541.
45. EJ Schaefer , V Bongard , AS Beiser (2006) Plasma phosphatidylcholine docosahexaenoic acid content and risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Arch Neurol 63, 1545–1550.
47. EA Devore , F Grodstein , FJA van Rooij (2009) Dietary intake of fish and omega-3 fatty acids in relation to long-term dementia risk. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1–7.
48. E Kröger , R Verrault , P-H Carmichael (2009) Omega-3 fatty acids and risk of dementia: the Canadian Study of Health and Aging. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1–9.
49. Y Freund-Levi , M Eriksdotter-Jonhagen , Cederholm (2006) Omega-3 fatty acid treatment in 174 patients with mild to moderate alzheimer disease: Omegad study: A randomized double-blind trial. Arch Neurol 63, 1402–1408.
52. JT Winkler (2007) Action options on omega-3 recommendations, sources, policies. Nutrition and Health 18, 343–353.
55. DI Givens & RA Gibbs (2006) Very long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the food chain in the UK and the potential of animal-derived foods to increase them. Nutr Bull 31, 104–110.
57. BJ Meyer , NJ Mann , JL Lewis (2003) Dietary intake and food sources of omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Lipids 38, 391–398.
61. GC Burge & PC Calder (2005) Conversion of α-linolenic acid to longer-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in human adults. Reprod Nutr Dev 45, 581–597.
62. DI Givens & KJ Shingfield (2004) Foods derived from animals: The impact of animal nutrition on their nutritive value and ability to sustain long-term health. Nutr Bull 29, 325–332.
63. CO Leskanich & RC Noble (1997) Manipulation of the n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid composition of avian eggs and meat. Worlds Poult Sci J 53, 155–183.
64. DI Givens (2005) The role of animal nutrition in improving the nutritive value of animal-derived foods in relation to chronic disease. Proc Nutr Soc 64, 395–402.
65. C Rymer & DI Givens (2005) n-3 fatty acid enrichment of edible tissues of poultry: A review. Lipids 40, 121–140.
66. S De Henauw , J Van Camp , G Sturtewagen (2007) Simulated changes in fatty acid intake in humans through n-3 fatty acid enrichment of foods from animal origin. J Sci Food Agric 87, 200–211.
68. WMN Ratnayake , RG Ackman & HW Hulan (1989) Effect of Redfish meal enriched diets on the taste and n-3 PUFA of 42-day-old broiler chickens. J Sci Food Agric 49, 59–74.
69. TS Neudoerffer & CH Lea (1967) Effects of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids on the composition of the individual lipids of turkey breast and muscle. Br J Nutr 21, 691–714.
70. HWR Hulan , G Ackman , WMN Ratnayake (1989) Omega-3 fatty acid levels and performance of broiler chickens fed redfish meal or redfish oil. Can J Anim Sci 68, 533–547.
72. PS Hargis & ME van Elswyk (1993) Manupulating the fatty acid composition of poultry meat and eggs for the health conscious consumer. Worlds Poult Sci J 49, 251–264.
73. S López-Ferrer , MD Baucells , AC Barroeta (2001) n-3 Enrichment of chicken meat. 1. Use of very long-chain fatty acids in chicken diets and their influence on meat quality: fish oil. Poult Sci 80, 741–752.
74. PRC Howe , JA Downing , BFS Greyner (2002) Tuna fishmeal as a source of DHA for n-3 PUFA enrichment of pork, chicken, and eggs. Lipids 37, 1067–1076.
75. R Gonzalez-Esquerra & S Leeson (2000) Effects of menhaden oil and flaxseed in broiler diets on sensory quality and lipid composition of poultry meat. Br Poult Sci 41, 481–488.
76. D Pauly , R Watson & J Alder (2005) Global trends in world fisheries: impacts on marine ecosystems and food security. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360, 5–12.
78. HG Damude & AJ Kinney (2007) Engineering oilseed plants for a sustainable, land-based source of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Lipids 42, 179–182.
80. SM Kitessa & P Young (2009) Echium oil is better than rapeseed oil in enriching poultry meat with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, including eicosapentaenoic acid and docosapentaenoic acid. Br J Nutr 101, 709–715.
83. JR Abril & WR Barclay (1998) Production of docosahexaenoic enriched poultry eggs and meat using an algae based feed ingredient. In The Return of ω3 Fatty Acids into the Food Supply. I. Land-Based Animal Food Products and Their Health Effects. World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 83, pp. 77–88 [ AP Simopoulos ]. Basel, Karger.
84. JW Mooney , EM Hirschler , AK Kennedy (1998) Lipid and flavour quality of stored breast meat from broilers fed marine algae. J Sci Food Agric 78, 134–140.
85. C Rymer & DI Givens (2006) Effect of species and genotype on the efficiency of enrichment of poultry meat with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Lipids 41, 445–451.
87. RE Newman , WL Bryden , E Fleck (2002) Dietary n-3 and n-6 alters avian metabolism: metabolism and abdominal fat deposition. Br J Nutr 88, 11–18.
88. AC Meynier , C Genot & G Gandemer (1999) Oxidation of muscle phospholipids in relation to their fatty acid composition with emphasis on volatile compounds. J Sci Food Agric 79, 797–804.
89. PF Surai & NH Sparks (2000) Tissue-specific fatty acid and alpha-tocopherol profiles in male chickens depending on dietary tuna oil and vitamin E provision. Poultry Sci 79, 1132–1142.
90. MB Mielnik , O Herstad , P Lea (2002) Sensory quality of marinated frozen stored chicken thighs as affected by dietary fish fat and vitamin E. Int J Food Sci Technol 37, 29–30.
91. R Bou , F Guardiola , A Tres (2004) Effect of dietary fish oil, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, and zinc supplementation on the composition and consumer acceptability of chicken meat. Poult Sci 83, 282–292.
92. A De Winne & P Dirinck (1996) Studies on vitamin E and meat quality. 2. Effect of feeding high vitamin E levels on chicken meat quality. J Agric Food Chem 44, 1691–1696.
93. JM Wood , RI Richardson , GR Nute (2003) Effects of fatty acids on meat quality: A review. Meat Sci 66, 21–32.
94. D Ladikos & V Lougovois (1990) Lipid oxidation in muscle foods: A review. Food Chem 35, 295–314.
95. MC Erickson (2002) Lipid oxidation of muscle foods. In Food Lipids: Chemistry, Nutrition and Biotechnology, 2nd ed. [ CC Akoh and DB Min ]. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
97. SF O'Keefe , FG Proudfoot & RG Ackman (1995) Lipid oxidation in meats of omega-3 fatty-acid enriched broiler chickens. Food Res Int 28, 417–424.
98. AO Ajuyah , RT Hardin & JS Sim (1993) Studies on canola seed in turkey grower diet: Effects on ώ-3 fatty acid composition of breast meat, breast skin and selected organs. Can J Anim Sci 73, 177–181.
99. KT Nam , HA Lee , BS Min (1997) Influence of dietary supplementation with linseed and vitamin E on fatty acids, α-tocopherol and lipid peroxidation in muscles of broiler chicks. Anim Feed Sci Technol 66, 149–158.
101. R Bou , S Grimpa , MD Baucells (2006) Dose and duration effect of alpha-tocopheryl acetate supplementation on chicken meat fatty acid composition, tocopherol content, and oxidative status. J Agric Food Chem 54, 5020–5026.
103. L Cortinas , A Barroeta , C Villaverde (2005) Influence of the dietary polyunsaturation level on chicken meat quality: lipid oxidation. Poult Sci 84, 48–55.
106. K Smet , K Raes , G Huyghebaert (2008) Lipid and protein oxidation of broiler meat as influenced by dietary natural antioxidant supplementation. Poult Sci 87, 682–1688.
107. PRC Howe , JA Downing , BFS Greyner (2002) Tuna fishmeal as a source of DHA for n-3 PUFA enrichment of pork, chicken, and eggs. Lipids 37, 1067–1076.
108. L Cortinas , C Villaverde , J Galobart (2004) Fatty acid content in chicken thigh and breast as affected by dietary polyunsaturation level. Poult Sci 83, 1155–1164.
109. D Kromhout , EB Bosschieter & CL Coulander (1985) The inverse relationship between fish consumption and 20-year mortality from coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 312, 1205–1209.
110. D Kromhout , EJM Feskens & CH Bowles (1995) The protective effect of a small amount of fish on coronary heart disease mortality in an elderly population. Int J Epidemiol 24, 340–345.
112. S Norell , A Ahlbom , M Feychling (1986) Fish consumption and mortality from coronary heart disease. Br Med J 293, 426.
114. TA Dolecek (1992) Epidemiologic evidence of relationships between dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and mortality in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 200, 177–182.
115. DS Siscovick , TE Raghunathan , I King (1995) Dietary intake and cell membrane levels of long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the risk of primary cardiac arrest. JAMA 274, 1363–1367.
116. ML Daviglus , J Stamler , AJ Orencia (1997) Fish consumption and the 30-year risk of fatal myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 336, 1046–1053.
117. CM Albert , CH Hennekens , CJ O'Donnell (1998) Fish consumption and risk of sudden cardiac death. JAMA 279, 23–28.
118. CM Oomen , EJM Feskens , L Rasanen (2000) Fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality in Finland, Italy, and the Netherlands. Am J Epidemiol 151, 999–1006.
119. CM Albert , H Campos , MJ Stampfer (2002) Blood levels of long-chain n-3 fatty acids and the risk of sudden death. N Engl J Med 346, 1113–1118.
120. FB Hu , L Bronner , WC Willett (2002) Fish and omega-3 fatty acid intake and risk of coronary heart disease in women. JAMA 287, 1815–1821.
121. A Tavani , C Pelucchi , E Negri (2001) n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids, fish, and nonfatal acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 104, 2269–2272.
123. D Mozaffarian , RN Lemaitre , LH Kuller (2003) Cardiac benefits of fish consumption may depend on the type of fish meal consumed: The Cardiovascular Health Study. Circulation 107, 1372–1377.
124. PC Calder (2004) n-3 Fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: evidence explained and mechanisms explored. Clin Sci 107, 1–11.
125. AM Minihane & JA Lovegrove (2006) Health benefits of polyunsaturated fatty acids. In Improving the Fat Content of Foods, pp. 107–140 [ C Williams and J Buttriss ]. Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
126. P Howe , B Meyer , S Record (2006) Dietary intakes of long-chain ώ-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: contribution of meat sources. Nutrition 22, 47–53.
127. A Bauch , O Lindtner , GBM Mensink (2006) Dietary intake and sources of long-chain n-3 PUFAs in German adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 810–812.
128. IA Sioen , I Pynaert , C Matthys (2006) Dietary intakes and food sources of fatty acids for Belgian women, focused on n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated acids. Lipids 41, 415–422.
129. IA Sioen , I Huybrecht , W Verbeke (2007) n-6 and n-3 PUFA intakes of pre-school children in Flanders, Belgium. Br J Nutr 98, 819–825.