This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
A Keys , A Menotti , MJ Karvonen
(1986) The diet and 15-year death rate in the seven countries study. Am J Epidemiol
3. F Sofi , F Cesari , R Abbate (2008) Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. Br Med J 337, a1344.
F Sofi , R Abbate , GF Gensini
(2010) Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr
B Alles , C Samieri , C Feart
(2012) Dietary patterns: a novel approach to examine the link between nutrition and cognitive function in older individuals. Nutr Res Rev, 25, 207–222.
C Brayne (2007) The elephant in the room – healthy brains in later life, epidemiology and public health. Nature Rev
8. C Reitz , C Brayne & R Mayeux (2011) Epidemiology of Alzheimer disease. Nat Rev Neurol 7, 137–152.
9. JC Lambert , S Heath , G Even (2009) Genome-wide association study identifies variants at CLU and CR1 associated with Alzheimer's disease. Nat Genet 41, 1094–1099.
10. D Harold , R Abraham , P Hollingworth (2009) Genome-wide association study identifies variants at CLU and PICALM associated with Alzheimer's disease. Nat Genet 41, 1088–1093.
11. K Sleegers , JC Lambert , L Bertram (2010) The pursuit of susceptibility genes for Alzheimer's disease: progress and prospects. Trends Genet 26, 84–93.
RC Petersen (2004) Mild cognitive impairment as a diagnostic entity. J Intern Med
13. M Fotuhi , V Hachinski & PJ Whitehouse (2009) Changing perspectives regarding late-life dementia. Nat Rev Neurol 5, 649–658.
14. ML Daviglus , CC Bell , W Berrettini (2010) National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Conference statement: preventing alzheimer disease and cognitive decline. Ann Intern Med 153, 176–181.
15. ML Daviglus , BL Plassman , A Pirzada (2011) Risk factors and preventive interventions for Alzheimer disease: state of the science. Archiv Neurol 68, 1185–1190.
CR Jack Jr, DS Knopman , WJ Jagust
(2010) Hypothetical model of dynamic biomarkers of the Alzheimer's pathological cascade. Lancet Neurol
17. BL Plassman , JW Williams Jr, JR Burke (2010) Systematic review: factors associated with risk for and possible prevention of cognitive decline in later life. Ann Intern Med 153, 182–193.
18. CM Filley & CA Anderson (2011) Dementia: five new things. Neurology 76, S26–S30.
20. JA Luchsinger , JM Noble & N Scarmeas (2007) Diet and Alzheimer's disease. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 7, 366–372.
21. V Solfrizzi , C Capurso , A D'Introno (2008) Lifestyle-related factors in predementia and dementia syndromes. Expert Rev Neurother 8, 133–158.
F Gomez-Pinilla (2008) Brain foods: the effects of nutrients on brain function. Nature Rev
MC Morris (2012) Nutritional determinants of cognitive aging and dementia. Proc Nutr Soc
E Reynolds (2006) Vitamin B12, folic acid, and the nervous system. Lancet Neurol
27. V Solfrizzi , AM Colacicco , A D'Introno (2006) Dietary intake of unsaturated fatty acids and age-related cognitive decline: a 8·5-year follow-up of the Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Neurobiol Aging 27, 1694–1704.
28. JA Luchsinger & R Mayeux (2004) Dietary factors and Alzheimer's disease. Lancet Neurol 3, 579–587.
MJ Engelhart , MI Geerlings , A Ruitenberg
(2002) Dietary intake of antioxidants and risk of Alzheimer disease. J Am Med Assoc
30. L Letenneur , C Proust-Lima , A Le Gouge (2007) Flavonoid intake and cognitive decline over a 10-year period. Am J Epidemiol 165, 1364–1371.
C Berr , F Portet , I Carriere
(2009) Olive oil and cognition: results from the three-city study. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Disorders
34. SC Cunnane , M Plourde , F Pifferi (2009) Fish, docosahexaenoic acid and Alzheimer's disease. Prog Lipid Res 48, 239–256.
35. V Solfrizzi , V Frisardi , D Seripa (2011) Mediterranean diet in predementia and dementia syndromes. Curr Alzheimer Res 8, 520–542.
36. CA von Arnim , U Gola & HK Biesalski (2010) More than the sum of its parts? Nutrition in Alzheimer's disease. Nutrition 26, 694–700.
C Feart & P Barberger-Gateau (2011) Epidemiological studies on cognition and the omega-6/omega-3 balance. World Rev Nutr Diet
41. DR Jacobs Jr, MD Gross & LC Tapsell (2009) Food synergy: an operational concept for understanding nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1543S–1548S.
42. KR Daffner (2010) Promoting successful cognitive aging: a comprehensive review. J Alzheimers Dis 19, 1101–1122.
AK Kant (2004) Dietary patterns and health outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc
KL Tucker (2010) Dietary patterns, approaches, and multicultural perspective. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab
45. P Barberger-Gateau , C Raffaitin , L Letenneur (2007) Dietary patterns and risk of dementia: the Three-City cohort study. Neurology 69, 1921–1930.
46. Y Gu & N Scarmeas (2011) Dietary patterns in Alzheimer's disease and cognitive aging. Curr Alzheimer Res 8, 510–519.
F Sofi (2009) The Mediterranean diet revisited: evidence of its effectiveness grows. Curr Opin Cardiol
E Bere & J Brug (2010) Is the term ‘Mediterranean diet’ a misnomer?
Public Health Nutr
A Bach-Faig , EM Berry , D Lairon
(2011) Mediterranean diet pyramid today. Science and cultural updates. Public Health Nutr
52. G Kourlaba & DB Panagiotakos (2009) Dietary quality indices and human health: a review. Maturitas 62, 1–8.
53. ME Rumawas , JT Dwyer , NM McKeown (2009) The development of the Mediterranean-style dietary pattern score and its application to the American diet in the Framingham Offspring Cohort. J Nutr 139, 1150–1156.
R Mila-Villarroel , A Bach-Faig , J Puig
(2011) Comparison and evaluation of the reliability of indexes of adherence to the Mediterranean diet. Public Health Nutr
55. A Trichopoulou , A Kouris-Blazos , ML Wahlqvist (1995) Diet and overall survival in elderly people. Br Med J 311, 1457–1460.
A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , C Bamia
(2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med
57. C Feart , C Samieri & P Barberger-Gateau (2010) Mediterranean diet and cognitive function in older adults. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 13, 14–18.
58. CC Tangney , MJ Kwasny , H Li (2011) Adherence to a Mediterranean-type dietary pattern and cognitive decline in a community population. Am J Clin Nutr 93, 601–607.
59. DB Panagiotakos , C Pitsavos & C Stefanadis (2006) Dietary patterns: a Mediterranean diet score and its relation to clinical and biological markers of cardiovascular disease risk. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16, 559–568.
60. L Serra-Majem , B Roman & R Estruch (2006) Scientific evidence of interventions using the Mediterranean diet: a systematic review. Nutr Rev 64, S27–S47.
61. M Steele , G Stuchbury & G Munch (2007) The molecular basis of the prevention of Alzheimer's disease through healthy nutrition. Exp Gerontol 42, 28–36.
62. V Frisardi , F Panza , D Seripa (2010) Nutraceutical properties of Mediterranean diet and cognitive decline: possible underlying mechanisms. J Alzheimers Dis 22, 715–740.
63. A Viswanathan , WA Rocca & C Tzourio (2009) Vascular risk factors and dementia: how to move forward? Neurology 72, 368–374.
64. C Raffaitin , C Feart , M Le Goff (2011) Metabolic syndrome and cognitive decline in French elders: the Three-City Study. Neurology 76, 518–525.
65. C Raffaitin , H Gin , JP Empana (2009) Metabolic syndrome and risk for incident Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia: the Three-City Study. Diabetes Care 32, 169–174.
66. LA Profenno , AP Porsteinsson & SV Faraone (2010) Meta-analysis of Alzheimer's disease risk with obesity, diabetes, and related disorders. Biol Psychiatry 67, 505–512.
CM Kastorini , HJ Milionis , K Esposito
(2011) The effect of Mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome and its components: a meta-analysis of 50 studies and 534 906 individuals. J Am Coll Cardiol
68. R Estruch , MA Martinez-Gonzalez , D Corella (2006) Effects of a Mediterranean-style diet on cardiovascular risk factors: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 145, 1–11.
71. AJ Gaskins , AJ Rovner , SL Mumford (2010) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and plasma concentrations of lipid peroxidation in premenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1461–1467.
V Konstantinidou , MI Covas , D Munoz-Aguayo
In vivo nutrigenomic effects of virgin olive oil polyphenols within the frame of the Mediterranean diet: a randomized controlled trial. FASEB J
74. DB Panagiotakos , K Dimakopoulou , K Katsouyanni (2009) Mediterranean diet and inflammatory response in myocardial infarction survivors. Int J Epidemiol 38, 856–866.
75. Y Gu , JA Luchsinger , Y Stern (2010) Mediterranean diet, inflammatory and metabolic biomarkers, and risk of Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis 22, 483–492.
76. AJ Nordmann , K Suter-Zimmermann , HC Bucher (2011) Meta-analysis comparing Mediterranean to low-fat diets for modification of cardiovascular risk factors. Am J Med 124, 841–851, e842.
77. DB Panagiotakos , CM Kastorini , C Pitsavos (2011) The current Greek diet and the omega-6/omega-3 balance: the Mediterranean diet score is inversely associated with the omega-6/omega-3 ratio. World Rev Nutr Diet 102, 53–56.
C Feart , MJ Torres , C Samieri
(2011) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and plasma fatty acids: data from the Bordeaux sample of the Three-City study. Br J Nutr
N Scarmeas , Y Stern , MX Tang
(2006) Mediterranean diet and risk for Alzheimer's disease. Ann Neurol
80. N Scarmeas , Y Stern , R Mayeux (2009) Mediterranean diet and mild cognitive impairment. Arch Neurol 66, 216–225.
81. N Scarmeas , JA Luchsinger , N Schupf (2009) Physical activity, diet, and risk of Alzheimer disease. J Am Med Assoc 302, 627–637.
82. N Scarmeas , JA Luchsinger , R Mayeux (2007) Mediterranean diet and Alzheimer disease mortality. Neurology 69, 1084–1093.
83. C Feart , C Samieri , V Rondeau (2009) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet, cognitive decline, and risk of dementia. J Am Med Assoc 302, 638–648.
84. RO Roberts , YE Geda , JR Cerhan (2010) Vegetables, unsaturated fats, moderate alcohol intake, and mild cognitive impairment. Dementia Geriatric Cogn Disorders 29, 413–423.
N Cherbuin & KJ Anstey (2012) The Mediterranean diet is not related to cognitive change in a large prospective investigation: the PATH Through Life study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry
86. N Scarmeas , Y Stern , R Mayeux (2006) Mediterranean diet, Alzheimer disease, and vascular mediation. Arch Neurol 63, 1709–1717.
87. N Scarmeas , JA Luchsinger , Y Stern (2011) Mediterranean diet and magnetic resonance imaging assessed cerebrovascular disease. Ann Neurol 69, 257–268.
Three-City Study Group (2003) Vascular factors and risk of dementia: design of the Three-City Study and baseline characteristics of the study population. Neuroepidemiology
H Amieva , M Le Goff , X Millet
(2008) Prodromal Alzheimer's disease: successive emergence of the clinical symptoms. Ann Neurol
91. C Feart , K Peres , C Samieri (2011) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and onset of disability in older persons. Eur J Epidemiol 26, 747–756.
ET Kennedy , J Ohls , S Carlson
(1995) The Healthy Eating Index: design and applications. J Am Diet Assoc
93. MN Vercambre , F Grodstein , C Berr (2012) Mediterranean diet and cognitive decline in women with cardiovascular disease or risk factors. J Acad Nutr Diet 112, 816– 823.
94. T Psaltopoulou , A Kyrozis , P Stathopoulos (2008) Diet, physical activity and cognitive impairment among elders: the EPIC-Greece cohort (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition). Public Health Nutr 11, 1054–1062.
A Bach , L Serra-Majem , JL Carrasco
(2006) The use of indexes evaluating the adherence to the Mediterranean diet in epidemiological studies: a review. Public Health Nutr
97. DS Knopman (2009) Mediterranean diet and late-life cognitive impairment: a taste of benefit. J Am Med Assoc 302, 686–687.
DE Barnes (2011) The mediterranean diet: good for the heart = good for the brain?
99. M Maillot , C Issa , F Vieux (2011) The shortest way to reach nutritional goals is to adopt Mediterranean food choices: evidence from computer-generated personalized diets. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1127–1137.
MA Martinez-Gonzalez & A Gea (2012) Mediterranean diet: the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Br J Nutr