This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. GS Firestein (2003) Evolving concepts of rheumatoid arthritis. Nature 423, 356–361.
2. SE Sweeney & GS Firestein (2004) Rheumatoid arthritis: regulation of synovial inflammation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36, 372–378.
3. J Bowes & A Barton (2008) Recent advances in the genetics of RA susceptibility. Rheumatology 47, 399–402.
7. SL Tilley , TM Coffman & BH Koller (2001) Mixed messages: modulation of inflammation and immune responses by prostaglandins and thromboxanes. J Clin Invest 108, 15–23.
8. H Sano , T Hla , JAM Maier , LJ Crofford , JP Case , T Maciag & RL Wilder (1992) In vivo cyclooxygenase expression in synovial tissues of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis and rats with adjuvant and streptococcal cell wall arthritis. J Clin Invest 89, 97–108.
10. PC Calder (1998) n-3 Fatty acids and mononuclear phagocyte function. In Medicinal Fatty Acids in Inflammation, pp. 1–27 [ JM Kremer editor]. Basel, Switzerland: Birkhauser.
11. PC Calder (2001) n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation and immunity: pouring oil on troubled waters or another fishy tale? Nutr Res 21, 309–341.
13. PC Calder (2007) Immunomodulation by omega-3 fatty acids. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 77, 327–335.
14. PC Calder (2006) Polyunsaturated fatty acids and inflammation. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 75, 197–202.
15. PC Calder (1996) Immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Proc Nutr Soc 55, 737–774.
16. PC Calder (1997) N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and cytokine production in health and disease. Ann Nutr Metab 41, 203–234.
17. EA Miles & PC Calder (1998) Modulation of immune function by dietary fatty acids. Proc Nutr Soc 57, 277–292.
18. PC Calder (1998) Dietary fatty acids and lymphocyte functions. Proc Nutr Soc 57, 487–502.
19. PC Calder (2001) Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation and immunity. Lipids 36, 1007–1024.
20. PC Calder , P Yaqoob , F Thies , FA Wallace & EA Miles (2002) Fatty acids and lymphocyte functions. Br J Nutr 87, S31–S48.
21. PC Calder (2003) N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and inflammation: from molecular biology to the clinic. Lipids 38, 342–352.
22. JWC Sijben & PC Calder (2007) Differential immunomodulation with long-chain n-3 PUFA in health and disease. Proc Nutr Soc 66, 237–259.
23. P Yaqoob & PC Calder (2007) Fatty acids and immune function: new insights into mechanisms. Br J Nutr 98, S41–S45.
24. P Yaqoob (2003) Fatty acids as gatekeepers of immune cell regulation. Trends Immunol 24, 639–645.
25. DS Kelley (2001) Modulation of human immune and inflammatory responses by dietary fatty acids. Nutrition 17, 669–673.
26. K Fritsche (2006) Fatty acids as modulators of the immune response. Annu Rev Nutr 26, 45–73.
27. KC Switzer , DN McMurray , RS Chapkin (2004) Effects of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on T-cell membrane composition and function. Lipids 39, 1163–1170.
28. PC Calder (2007) Polyunsaturated fatty acids alter the rules of engagement. Future Lipidol 2, 27–30.
30. TA Khair-el-Din , SC Sicher , MA Vazquez & CY Lu (1996) Inhibition of macrophage nitric-oxide production and Ia-expression by docosahexaenoic acid, a constituent of fetal and neonatal serum. Am J Reprod Immunol 36, 1–10.
32. AR Weatherill , JY Lee , L Zhao , DG Lemay , HS Youn & DH Hwang (2005) Saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids reciprocally modulate dendritic cell functions mediated through TLR4. J Immunol 174, 5390–5397.
34. DA Hughes & AC Pinder (1997) N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate the expression of functionally associated molecules on human monocytes and inhibit antigen-presentation in vitro. Clin Exp Immunol 110, 516–523.
38. PC Calder & EA Newsholme (1992) Unsaturated fatty acids suppress interleukin-2 production and transferrin receptor expression by concanavalin A-stimulated rat lymphocytes. Mediators Inflamm 1, 107–115.
39. PC Calder & EA Newsholme (1992) Polyunsaturated fatty acids suppress human peripheral blood lymphocyte proliferation and interleukin-2 production. Clin Sci (Lond) 82, 695–700.
41. PC Calder , P Yaqoob , DJ Harvey , A Watts & EA Newsholme (1994) The incorporation of fatty acids by lymphocytes and the effect on fatty acid composition and membrane fluidity. Biochem J 300, 509–518.
44. P Yaqoob & PC Calder (1995) The effects of dietary lipid manipulation on the production of murine T-cell-derived cytokines. Cytokine 7, 548–553.
46. LD Peterson , NM Jeffery , F Thies , P Sanderson , EA Newsholme & PC Calder (1998) Eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids alter rat spleen leukocyte fatty acid composition and prostaglandin E2 production but have different effects on lymphocyte functions and cell-mediated immunity. Lipids 33, 171–180.
49. P Sanderson & PC Calder (1998) Dietary fish oil appears to inhibit the activation of phospholipase C-γ in lymphocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1392, 300–308.
50. TM Stulnig , J Huber , N Leitinger , EM Imre , P Angelisova , P Nowotny & W Waldhausl (2001) Polyunsaturated eicosapentaenoic acid displaces proteins from membrane rafts by altering raft lipid composition. J Biol Chem 276, 37335–37340.
51. M Zeyda , G Staffler , V Horejsi , W Waldhausl & TM Stulnig (2002) LAT displacement from lipid rafts as a molecular mechanism for the inhibition of T cell signaling by polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Biol Chem 277, 28418–28423.
52. M Zeyda , AB Szekeres , MD Säemann , R Geyeregger , H Stockinger , GJ Zlabinger , W Waldhäusl & TM Stulnig (2003) Suppression of T cell signaling by polyunsaturated fatty acids: selectivity in inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase and nuclear factor activation. J Immunol 170, 6033–6039.
54. DW Goldman , WC Pickett & EJ Goetzl (1983) Human neutrophil chemotactic and degranulating activities of leukotriene B5 (LTB5) derived from eicosapentaenoic acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 117, 282–288.
57. CN Serhan , CB Clish , J Brannon , SP Colgan , N Chiang & K Gronert (2000) Novel functional sets of lipid-derived mediators with antinflammatory actions generated from omega-3 fatty acids via cyclooxygenase 2-nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and transcellular processing. J Exp Med 192, 1197–1204.
58. CN Serhan , S Hong , K Gronert , SP Colgan , PR Devchand , G Mirick & R-L Moussignac (2002) Resolvins: a family of bioactive products of omega-3 fatty acid transformation circuits initiated by aspirin treatment that counter pro-inflammation signals. J Exp Med 196, 1025–1037.
59. S Hong , K Gronert , P Devchand , R-L Moussignac & CN Serhan (2003) Novel docosatrienes and 17S-resolvins generated from docosahexaenoic acid in murine brain, human blood and glial cells: autocoids in anti-inflammation. J Biol Chem 278, 14677–14687.
60. VL Marcheselli , S Hong , WJ Lukiw & Tian X Hua (2003) Novel docosanoids inhibit brain ischemia reperfusion-mediated leukocyte infiltration and pro-inflammatory gene expression. J Biol Chem 278, 43807–43817.
61. PK Mukherjee , VL Marcheselli , CN Serhan & NG Bazan (2004) Neuroprotectin D1: A docosahexaenoic acid-derived docosatriene protects human retinal pigment epithelial cells from oxidative stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101, 8491–8496.
62. CN Serhan , M Arita , S Hong & K Gotlinger (2004) Resolvins, docosatrienes, and neuroprotectins, novel omega-3-derived mediators, and their endogenous aspirin-triggered epimers. Lipids 39, 1125–1132.
63. CN Serhan (2005) Novel eicosanoid and docosanoid mediators: resolvins, docosatrienes, and neuroprotrectins. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8, 115–121.
64. TA Babcock , T Novak , E Ong , DH Jho , WS Helton & NJ Espat (2002) Modulation of lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophage tumor necrosis factor-α production by ώ-3 fatty acid is associated with differential cyclooxygenase-2 protein expression and is independent of interleukin-10. J Surg Res 107, 135–139.
65. R De Caterina , MI Cybulsky , SK Clinton , MA Gimbrone & P Libby (1994) The omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoate reduces cytokine-induced expression of proatherogenic and proinflammatory proteins in human endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb 14, 1829–1836.
68. G Renier , E Skamene , J de Sanctis & D Radzioch (1993) Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent the development of atherosclerotic lesions in mice: modulation of macrophage secretory activities. Arterioscler Thromb 13, 1515–1524.
69. P Yaqoob & PC Calder (1995) Effects of dietary lipid manipulation upon inflammatory mediator production by murine macrophages. Cell Immunol 163, 120–128.
72. CA Leslie , WA Gonnerman , MD Ullman , KC Hayes , C Franzblau & ES Cathcart (1985) Dietary fish oil modulates macrophage fatty acids and decreases arthritis susceptibility in mice. J Exp Med 162, 1336–1349.
75. JM Kremer , W Jubiz , A Michalek , RI Rynes , LE Bartholomew , J Bigouette , M Timchalk , D Beller & L Lininger (1987) Fish-oil supplementation in active rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Intern Med 106, 497–503.
77. H van der Tempel , JE Tullekan , PC Limburg , FAJ Muskiet & MH van Rijswijk (1990) Effects of fish oil supplementation in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 49, 76–80.
78. JE Tullekan , PC Limburg , FAJ Muskiet & MH van Rijswijk (1990) Vitamin E status during dietary fish oil supplementation in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism 33, 1416–1419.
80. JM Kremer , DA Lawrence , W Jubiz , R DiGiacomo , R Rynes , LE Bartholomew & M Sherman (1990) Dietary fish oil and olive oil supplementation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol 33, 810–820.
81. GT Esperson , N Grunnet , HH Lervang , GL Nielsen , BS Thomsen , KL Faarvang , J Dyerberg & E Ernst (1992) Decreased interleukin-1 beta levels in plasma from rheumatoid arthritis patients after dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Clin Rheumatol 11, 393–395.
82. T Sundrarjun , S Komindr , N Archararit , W Dahaln , O Puchaiwatananon , S Angthararak , U Udomsuppayakui & S Chuncharunee (2004) Effects of n-3 fatty acids on serum interleukin-6, tumour necrosis factor-alpha and soluble tumour necrosis factor receptor p55 in active rheumatoid arthritis. J Int Med Res 32, 443–454.
83. RI Sperling , M Weinblatt , JL Robin , J Ravalese , RL Hoover , F House , JS Coblyn , PA Fraser , BW Spur & DR Robinson (1987) Effects of dietary supplementation with marine fish oil on leukocyte lipid mediator generation and function in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 30, 988–997.
84. MJ James & LG Cleland (1997) Dietary n-3 fatty acids and therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 27, 85–97.
85. PP Geusens (1998) n-3 Fatty acids in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. In Medicinal Fatty Acids in Inflammation, pp. 111–123 [ JM Kremer editor]. Basel, Switzerland: Birkhauser.
87. D Volker & M Garg (1996) Dietary n-3 fatty acid supplementation in rheumatoid arthritis – mechanisms, clinical outcomes, controversies, and future directions. J Clin Biochem Nutr 20, 83–87.
88. PC Calder (2001) The scientific basis for fish oil supplementation in rheumatoid arthritis. In Nutritional Supplements in Health and Disease, pp. 175–197 [ JK Ransley , JK Donnelly and NW Read editors]. London: Springer Verlag.
89. PC Calder & RB Zurier (2001) Polyunsaturated fatty acids and rheumatoid arthritis. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 4, 115–121.
90. LG Cleland , MJ James & SM Proudman (2003) The role of fish oils in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Drugs 63, 845–853.
92. PR Fortin , RA Lew , MH Liang , EA Wright , LA Beckett , TC Chalmers & RI Sperling (1995) Validation of a meta-analysis: The effects of fish oil in rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Epidemiol 48, 1379–1390.
94. RJ Goldberg & J Katz (2007) A meta-analysis of the analgesic effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation for inflammatory joint pain. Pain 129, 210–233.
95. L Skoldstam , O Borjesson , A Kjallman , B Seiving & B Akesson (1992) Effect of six months of fish oil supplementation in stable rheumatoid arthritis: a double blind, controlled study. Scand J Rheumatol 21, 178–185.
96. GL Nielsen , KL Faarvang , BS Thomsen , KL Teglbjaerg , LT Jensen , TM Hansen , HH Lervang , EB Schmidt , J Dyerberg & E Ernst (1992) The effects of dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized, double blind trial. Eur J Clin Invest 22, 687–691.
98. CS Lau , KD Morley & JJF Belch (1993) Effects of fish oil supplementation on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug requirement in patients with mild rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 32, 982–989.
99. P Geusens , C Wouters , J Nijs , Y Jiang & J Dequeker (1994) Long-term effect of omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in active rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 37, 824–829.
100. JM Kremer , DA Lawrence , GF Petrillo , LL Litts , PM Mullaly , RI Rynes , RP Stocker , N Parhami , NS Greenstein & BR Fuchs (1995) Effects of high-dose fish oil on rheumatoid arthritis after stopping nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: clinical and immune correlates. Arthritis Rheum 38, 1107–1114.
103. PH Remans , JK Sont , LW Wagenaar , W Wouters-Wesseling , WM Zuijderduin , A Jongma , FC Breedveld & JM van Laar (2004) Nutrient supplementation with polyunsaturated fatty acids and micronutrients in rheumatoid arthritis: clinical and biochemical effects. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 839–845.
104. AA Berbert , CR Kondo , CL Almendra , T Matsuo & I Dichi (2005) Supplementation of fish oil and olive oil in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Nutrition 21, 131–136.
105. B Galarraga , M Ho , HM Youssef , A Hill , H McMahon , C Hall , S Ogston , G Nuki & JJF Belch (2008) Cod liver oil (n-3 fatty acids) as an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug sparing agent in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 47, 665–669.
106. DA Ritchie , JA Boyle , JM McInnes , MK Jasani , TG Dalakos , P Grieveson & WW Buchanan (1969) Evaluation of a simple articular index for joint tenderness in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 28, 196.