This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MI Smith , KW Franke & BB Westfall (1936) The selenium problem in relation to public health. Public Health Rep 51, l496–1505.
5. S Shao & B Zheng (2008) The biogeochemistry of selenium in Sunan grassland, Gansu, Northwest China, casts doubt on the belief that Marco Polo reported selenosis for the first time in history. Environ Geochem Health 30, 307–314.
6. K Scharz & CM Foltz (1957) Selenium as an integral part of Factor 3 against dietary necrotic liver degeneration. J Am Chem Soc 79, 3292–3293.
8. LC Clarke , GF Combs Jr, BW Turnbull (1996) Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer prevention in patients with carcinoma of the skin. A randomised controlled trial. Nutritional Prevention of Cancer Study Group. JAMA 276, 1957–1963.
9. MP Rayman (2008) Food-chain selenium and health: emphasis on intake. Br J Nutr 100, 254–268.
14. JA Plant , DG Kinniburgh , PL Smedley (2003) Arsenic and selenium. In Treatise on Geochemistry. vol. 9, Environmental Geochemistry, pp. 17–66 [ BS Lollar , HD Holland and KK Turekian , editors]. London: Elsevier.
16. CC Johnson , X Ge , KA Green (2000) Selenium distribution in the local environment of selected villages of the Keshan Disease belt, Zhangjiakou District, Hebei Province, People's Republic of China. Appl Geochem 15, 385–401.
24. RH Neal (1995) Selenium. In Heavy Metals in Soils, pp. 260–283 [ BJ Alloway , editor]. London: Blackie Academic and Professional.
27. T Tokunaga , I Pickering & G Brown (1996) Selenium transformations in ponded sediments. Soil Sci Soc Am J 60, 781–790.
28. CC Johnson , N Breward , EL Ander (2005) G-BASE: baseline geochemical mapping of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Geochem Explor Environ Anal 5, 347–357.
32. A Aro , G Alfthan & P Varo (1995) Effects of supplementation of fertilisers on human selenium status in Finland. Analyst 120, 841–843.
35. MI Smith & BB Westfall (1937) Further field studies on the selenium problem in relation to public health. Public Health Rep 52, 1375–1384.
41. MP Rayman (2000) The importance of selenium to human health. Lancet 356, 233–241.
44. Y Li , T Peng , Y Yang (2000) High prevalence of enteroviral genomic sequences in myocardium from cases of endemic cardiomyopathy (Keshan Disease) in China. Heart 83, 696–701.
45. MP Rayman (2005) Se in cancer prevention: a review of the evidence and mechanism of action. Proc Nutr Soc 64, 527–542.
46. AS Niskar , DC Paschal , SM Kieszak (2003) Serum selenium levels in the US population: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. Biol Trace Elem Res 91, 1–10.
47. J Bleys , A Navas-Acien , M Laclaustra (2003) Serum selenium and peripheral arterial disease: results from the national health and nutrition examination survey, 2003–2004. Am J Epidemiol 169, 996–1003.
48. X Chen , G Yang , JS Chen (1980) Studies on the relations of selenium to Keshan Disease. Biol Trace Elem Res 2, 91–104.
49. FM Fordyce , G Zhang , K Green (2000) Soil, grain and water chemistry and human selenium imbalances in Enshi District, Hubei Province, China. Appl Geochem 15, 117–132.
50. JD Appleton , Q Zhang , KA Green (2006) Selenium in soil, grain, human hair and drinking water in relation to esophageal cancer in the Cixian area, Hebei Province, People's Republic of China. Appl Geochem 21, 684–700.
51. MP Rayman (2008) Food-chain selenium and health: spotlight on speciation. Br J Nutr 100, 238–253.
53. MR Broadley , PJ White , RJ Bryson (2006) Biofortification of UK food crops with selenium. Proc Nutr Soc 65, 169–181.
55. LA Adams , E Lombi , F-J Zhao (2002) Evidence of low selenium concentrations in UK bread-making wheat grain. J Sci Food Agric 82, 1160–1165.
56. M-S Fan , F-J Zhao , PR Poulton (2008) Historical changes in the concentrations of selenium in soil and wheat grain from the Broadbalk experiment over the last 160 years. Sci Total Environ 389, 532–538.
58. KA Wolnik , FL Fricke , GL Capar (1983) Elements in major raw agricultural crops in the United States. 2. Other elements in lettuce, peanuts, potatoes, soybeans, sweet corn, and wheat. J Agric Food Chem 31, 1244–1249.
59. MH Hahn , RW Kuennen , JA Caruso (1981) Determination of trace amounts of selenium in corn, lettuce, potatoes, soybeans, and wheat by hydride generation/condensation and flame atomic absorption spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem 29, 792–796.
63. MW Yu , IS Horng , KH Hsu (1999) Plasma selenium levels and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma among men with chronic hepatitis virus infection. Am J Epidemiol 150, 367–374.
64. G Bjelakovic , D Nikolova , RG Simonetti (2004) Antioxidant supplements for prevention of gastrointestinal cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 364, 1219–1228.
65. MK Baum , G Shor-Posner , S Lai (1997) High risk of HIV-related mortality is associated with selenium deficiency. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 15, 370–374.
66. A Campa , G Shor-Posner , F Indacochea (1999) Mortality risk in selenium-deficient HIV-positive children. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 20, 508–513.
69. SM Lippman , EA Klein , PJ Goodman (2009) Effect of selenium and vitamin E on risk of prostate cancer and other cancers: The selenium and vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT). JAMA 301, 39–511.
70. NT Akbaraly , I Hininger-Favier , I Carriere (2007) Plasma selenium over time and cognitive decline in the elderly. Epidemiology 18, 52–58.
71. S Gao , Y Jin , KS Hall (2007) Selenium level and cognitive function in rural elderly Chinese. Am J Epidemiol 165, 955–965.
73. MP Rayman , P Bode & CW Redman (2003) Low selenium status is associated with the occurrence of the pregnancy disease preeclampsia in women from the United Kingdom. Am J Obstet Gynecol 189, 1343–1349.
76. J Bleys , A Navas-Acien & E Guallar (2008) Serum selenium levels and all-cause, cancer, and cardiovascular mortality among US adults. Arch Intern Med 168, 404–410.
77. NT Akbaraly , J Arnaud , I Hininger-Favier (2005) Selenium and mortality in the elderly: results from the EVA study. Clin Chem 51, 2117–2123.
78. G Bjelakovic , D Nikolova , LL Gluud (2007) Mortality in randomised trials of antioxidant supplements for primary and secondary prevention: systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 297, 842–857.
79. JR Arthur & GJ Beckett (1999) Thyroid function. Br Med Bull 55, 658–668.
81. H Derumeaux , P Valeix , K Castetbon (2003) Association of selenium with thyroid volume and echostructure in 35- to 60-year-old French adults. Eur J Endocrinol 148, 309–315.