This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
J Addington , H Saeedi , D Addington (2006). Facial affect recognition: a mediator between cognitive and social functioning in psychosis? Schizophrenia Research 85, 142–150.
* IM Anderson , C Shippen , G Juhasz , D Chase , E Thomas , D Downey , ZG Toth , K Lloyd-Williams , R Elliott , JFW Deakin (2011). State-dependent alteration in face emotion recognition in depression. British Journal of Psychiatry 198, 302–308.
P Andlin-Sobocki , B Jönsson , H-U Wittchen , J Olesen (2005). Cost of disorders of the brain in Europe. European Journal of Neurology 12, 1–27.
* A Arteche , J Joormann , A Harvey , M Craske , IH Gotlib , A Lehtonen , N Counsell , A Stein (2011). The effects of postnatal maternal depression and anxiety on the processing of infant faces. Journal of Affective Disorders 133, 197–203.
C Bourke , K Douglas , R Porter (2010). Processing of facial emotion expression in major depression: a review. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 44, 681–696.
K Button , G Lewis , I Penton-Voak , M Munafo (2013 a). Social anxiety is associated with general but not specific biases in emotion recognition. Psychiatry Research 210, 199–207.
KS Button , JPA Ioannidis , C Mokrysz , BA Nosek , J Flint , ESJ Robinson , MR Munafo (2013 b). Power failure: why small sample size undermines the reliability of neuroscience. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 14, 365–376.
J Carton , E Kessler , C Pape (1999). Nonverbal decoding skills and relationship well-being in adults. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior 23, 91–100.
G Celani , MW Battacchi , L Arcidiacono (1999). The understanding of the emotional meaning of facial expressions in people with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 29, 57–66.
J Cohen (1988). Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. L. Erlbaum Associates: Hillsdale, NJ.
MJC Crump , JV McDonnell , TM Gureckis (2013). Evaluating Amazon's Mechanical Turk as a tool for experimental behavioral research. PLoS ONE 8, e57410.
LR Demenescu , R Kortekaas , JA den Boer , A Aleman (2010). Impaired attribution of emotion to facial expressions in anxiety and major depression. PLoS ONE 5, e15058.
* B Derntl , E-M Seidel , I Kryspin-Exner , A Hasmann , M Dobmeier (2009). Facial emotion recognition in patients with bipolar I and bipolar II disorder. British Journal of Clinical Psychology 48, 363–375.
B Derntl , EM Seidel , F Schneider , U Habel (2012). How specific are emotional deficits? A comparison of empathic abilities in schizophrenia, bipolar and depressed patients. Schizophrenia Research 142, 58–64.
R DerSimonian , N Laird (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Controlled Clinical Trials 7, 177–188.
SG Disner , CG Beevers , EA Haigh , AT Beck (2011). Neural mechanisms of the cognitive model of depression. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 12, 467–477.
* KM Douglas , RJ Porter (2010). Recognition of disgusted facial expressions in severe depression. British Journal of Psychiatry 197, 156–157.
S Duval , R Tweedie (2000). Trim and fill: a simple funnel-plot-based method of testing and adjusting for publication bias in meta-analysis. Biometrics 56, 455–463.
M Egger , G Davey Smith , M Schneider , C Minder (1997). Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. British Medical Journal 315, 629–634.
JF Finch , AJ Zautra (1992). Testing latent longitudinal models of social ties and depression among the elderly: a comparison of distribution-free and maximum likelihood estimates with nonnormal data. Psychololgy and Aging 7, 107–118.
* W Gaebel , W Wolwer (1992). Facial expression and emotional face recognition in schizophrenia and depression. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience 242, 46–52.
* JK Gollan , M McCloskey , D Hoxha , EF Coccaro (2010). How do depressed and healthy adults interpret nuanced facial expressions? Journal of Abnormal Psychology 119, 804–810.
* RC Gur , RJ Erwin , RE Gur , AS Zwil , C Heimberg , HC Kraemer (1992). Facial emotion discrimination: 2. Behavioral findings in depression. Psychiatry Research 42, 241–251.
CJ Harmer , GR Dawson , CT Dourish , E Favaron , E Parsons , M Fiore , M Zucchetto , A Bifone , I Poggesi , S Fernandes , RC Alexander , GM Goodwin (2013). Combined NK1 antagonism and serotonin reuptake inhibition: effects on emotional processing in humans. Journal of Psychopharmacology 27, 435–443.
CJ Harmer , C de Bodinat , GR Dawson , CT Dourish , L Waldenmaier , S Adams , PJ Cowen , GM Goodwin (2011). Agomelatine facilitates positive versus negative affective processing in healthy volunteer models. Journal of Psychopharmacology 25, 1159–1167.
CJ Harmer , CE Mackay , CB Reid , PJ Cowen , GM Goodwin (2006). Antidepressant drug treatment modifies the neural processing of nonconscious threat cues. Biological Psychiatry 59, 816–820.
CJ Harmer , NC Shelley , PJ Cowen , GM Goodwin (2004). Increased positive versus negative affective perception and memory in healthy volunteers following selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibition. American Journal of Psychiatry 161, 1256–1263.
JPA Ioannidis (2005). Why most published research findings are false. PLoS Medicine 2, e124.
* J Joormann , IH Gotlib (2006). Is this happiness I see? Biases in the identification of emotional facial expressions in depression and social phobia. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 115, 705–714.
* Y Kan , M Mimura , K Kamijima , M Kawamura (2004). Recognition of emotion from moving facial and prosodic stimuli in depressed patients. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 75, 1667–1671.
CG Kohler , LJ Hoffman , LB Eastman , K Healey , PJ Moberg (2011). Facial emotion perception in depression and bipolar disorder: a quantitative review. Psychiatry Research 188, 303–309.
* SA Langenecker , AF Caveney , B Giordani , EA Young , KA Nielson , LJ Rapport , LA Biellauskas , MJ Mordhorst , S Marcus , N Yodkovik , K Kerber , S Berent , JK Zubieta (2007). The sensitivity and psychometric properties of a brief computer-based cognitive screening battery in a depression clinic. Psychiatry Research 152, 143–154.
* JM Leppanen , M Milders , JS Bell , E Terriere , JK Hietanen (2004). Depression biases the recognition of emotionally neutral faces. Psychiatry Research 128, 123–133.
* L Mah , BG Pollock (2010). Emotional processing deficits in late-life depression. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 18, 652–656.
R Maniglio , F Gusciglio , V Lofrese , M Belvederi Murri , A Tamburello , M Innamorati (2014). Biased processing of neutral facial expressions is associated with depressive symptoms and suicide ideation in individuals at risk for major depression due to affective temperaments. Comprehensive Psychiatry 55, 518–525.
RA Mar , RN Spreng , CG Deyoung (2013). How to produce personality neuroscience research with high statistical power and low additional cost. Cognitive, Affective & Behavioral Neuroscience 13, 674–685.
* L Mendlewicz , P Linkowski , C Bazelmans , P Philippot (2005). Decoding emotional facial expressions in depressed and anorexic patients. Journal of Affective Disorders 89, 195–199.
* M Milders , S Bell , J Platt , R Serrano , O Runcie (2010). Stable expression recognition abnormalities in unipolar depression. Psychiatry Research 179, 38–42.
* C Naranjo , C Kornreich , S Campanella , X Noel , Y Vandriette , B Gillain , X de Longueville , B Delatte , P Verbanck , E Constant (2011). Major depression is associated with impaired processing of emotion in music as well as in facial and vocal stimuli. Journal of Affective Disorders 128, 243–251.
* SM Persad , J Polivy (1993). Differences between depressed and nondepressed individuals in the recognition of and response to facial emotional cues. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 102, 358–368.
P Philippot , C Kornreich , S Blairy , I Baert , AD Dulk , OL Bon , E Streel , U Hess , I Pelc , P Verbanck (1999). Alcoholics' deficits in the decoding of emotional facial expression. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 23, 1031–1038.
B Platt , KC Kadosh , JYF Lau (2013). The role of peer rejection in adolescent depression. Depression and Anxiety 30, 809–821.
A Pringle , C McCabe , PJ Cowen , CJ Harmer (2013). Antidepressant treatment and emotional processing: can we dissociate the roles of serotonin and noradrenaline? Journal of Psychopharmacology 27, 719–731.
JP Roiser , R Elliott , BJ Sahakian (2012). Cognitive mechanisms of treatment in depression. Neuropsychopharmacology 37, 117–136.
DR Rubinow , RM Post (1992). Impaired recognition of affect in facial expression in depressed patients. Biological Psychiatry 31, 947–953.
* KL Schaefer , J Baumann , BA Rich , DA Luckenbaugh , CA Zarate Jr. (2010). Perception of facial emotion in adults with bipolar or unipolar depression and controls. Journal of Psychiatric Research 44, 1229–1235.
* K Schepman , E Taylor , S Collishaw , E Fombonne (2012). Face emotion processing in depressed children and adolescents with and without comorbid conduct disorder. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 40, 583–593.
* R Sprengelmeyer , JD Steele , B Mwangi , P Kumar , D Christmas , M Milders , K Matthews (2011). The insular cortex and the neuroanatomy of major depression. Journal of Affective Disorders 133, 120–127.
JAC Sterne , D Gavaghan , M Egger (2000). Publication and related bias in meta-analysis: power of statistical tests and prevalence in the literature. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 53, 1119–1129.
A Thornton , P Lee (2000). Publication bias in meta-analysis: its causes and consequences. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 53, 207–216.
* AC Vederman , SL Weisenbach , LJ Rapport , HM Leon , BD Haase , LM Franti , MP Schallmo , EF Saunders , MM Kamali , JK Zubieta , SA Langenecker , MG McInnis (2012). Modality-specific alterations in the perception of emotional stimuli in bipolar disorder compared to healthy controls and major depressive disorder. Cortex 48, 1027–1034.
* SL Wright , SA Langenecker , PJ Deldin , LJ Rapport , KA Nielson , AM Kade , LS Own , H Akil , EA Young , JK Zubieta (2009). Gender-specific disruptions in emotion processing in younger adults with depression. Depression & Anxiety 26, 182–189.