This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , B Christina et al. (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
5. F Contaldo , F Pasanisi & M Mancini (2003) Beyond the traditional interpretation of Mediterranean diet. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 13, 117–119.
7. RM Ortega (2006) Importance of functional foods in the Mediterranean diet. Public Health Nutr 9, 1136–1140.
8. HK Biesalski (2004) Diabetes preventive components in the Mediterranean diet. Eur J Nutr 43, I/26–I/30.
10. I Bondia-Pons , L Serra-Majem , AI Castellote et al. (2007) Compliance with the European and national nutritional objectives in a Mediterranean population. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 1345–1351.
11. F Sofi , F Cesari , R Abbate et al. (2008) Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. BMJ 337, a1344.
14. H Schröder (2007) Protective mechanisms of the Mediterranean diet in obesity and type 2 diabetes. J Nutr Biochem 18, 149–160.
21. P Farajian , G Risvas , K Karasouli et al. (2001) Very high childhood obesity prevalence and low adherence rates to the Mediterranean diet in Greek children: the GRECO study. Atherosclerosis 217, 525–530.
22. LA Moreno , A Sarría & BM Popkin (2002) The nutrition transition in Spain: a European Mediterranean country. Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 992–1003.
24. M Bonaccio , A Di Castelnuovo , S Costanzo et al. (2012) Mass media information and adherence to Mediterranean diet: results from the Moli-sani study. Int J Public Health 57, 589–597.
25. T Bech-Larsen & J Scholderer (2007) Functional foods in Europe: consumer research, market experiences and regulatory aspects. Trends Food Sci Techol 18, 231–234.
26. LA Moreno , J Fleta , L Mur et al. (1997) Indices of body fat distribution in Spanish children aged 4.0 to 14.9 years. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 25, 175–181.
28. M De Onis , AW Onyango , E Borghi et al. (2007) Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bull World Health Organ 85, 660–667.
31. LB Andersen , M Harro , LB Sardinha et al. (2006) Physical activity and clustered cardiovascular risk in children: a cross-sectional study (The European Youth Heart Study). Lancet 368, 299–304.
39. AE Black (2000) Critical evaluation of energy intake using the Goldberg cut-off for energy intake:basal metabolic rate. A practical guide to its calculation, use and limitations. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1119–1130.
44. AH Wu , P Wan , J Hankin et al. (2001) Adolescent and adult soy intake and risk of breast cancer in Asian-Americans. Carcinogenesis 23, 1491–1496.
45. CS Berkey , HRH Rockett , WC Willett et al. (2005) Milk, dairy fat, dietary calcium, and weight gain. A longitudinal study of adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159, 543–550.
46. P Mirmiran , A Esmaillzadeh & F Azizi (2005) Dairy consumption and body mass index: an inverse relationship. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 115–121.
47. P Marques-Vidal , A Gonçalves & CM Dias (2006) Milk intake is inversely related to obesity in men and in young women: data from the Portuguese Health Interview Survey 1998–1999. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 88–93.
48. EJ Gardner , CH Ruxton & AR Leeds (2007) Black tea, helpful or harmful? A review of the evidence. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 3–18.
49. DR Bouchard , R Ross & I Janssen (2010) Coffee, tea and their additives: association with BMI and waist circumference. Obes Facts 3, 345–352.
50. A Trichopoulou , A Kouris-Blazos & ML Wahlqvist (1995) Diet in overall survival in the elderly. BMJ 311, 1457–1460.
51. A Sanchez-Villegas , JA Martinez , J De Irala et al. (2002) Determinants of the adherence to an ‘a priori’ defined Mediterranean dietary pattern. Eur J Nutr 41, 249–257.
52. R Belahsen & M Rguibi (2006) Population health and Mediterranean diet in southern Mediterranean countries. Public Health Nutr 9, 1130–1135.
54. JK Croll , D Neumark-Sztainer & M Story (2001) Healthy eating: what does it mean to adolescents? J Nutr Educ 33, 193–198.
55. B Xie , FD Gilliland , YF Li et al. (2003) Effects of ethnicity, family income, and education on dietary intake among adolescents. Prev Med 36, 30–40.
56. H Patrick & TA Nicklas (2005) A review of family and social determinants of children’s eating patterns and diet quality. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 83–92.
57. CN Lopez , MA Martinez-Gonzalez , A Sanchez-Villegas et al. (2009) Costs of Mediterranean and western dietary patterns in a Spanish cohort and their relationship with prospective weight change. J Epidemiol Community Health 63, 920–927.
58. C Lazarou , DB Panagiotakos & AL Matalas (2010) Physical activity mediates the protective effect of the Mediterranean diet on children’s obesity status: The CYKIDS study. Nutrition 26, 61–67.
59. M Rossi , E Negri , C Bosetti et al. (2008) Mediterranean diet in relation to body mass index and waist-to-hip ratio. Public Health Nutr 11, 214–217.
60. F Contaldo , L Scalfi & F Pasanisi (2004) Ancel Keys centenary and the definition of healthy diet. Clin Nutr 23, 435–436.
61. A Astrup (2001) Healthy lifestyles in Europe: prevention of obesity and type II diabetes by diet and physical activity. Public Health Nutr 4, 499–515.
62. AJ Gaskins , AJ Rovner , SL Mumford et al. (2010) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and plasma concentrations of lipid peroxidation in premenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1461–1467.
64. JSL de Munter , FB Hu , D Spiegelman et al. (2007) Whole grain, bran, and germ intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study and systematic review. PLoS Med 4, 1385–1395.
65. CK Good , N Holschuh , AM Albertson et al. (2008) Whole grain consumption and body mass index in adult women: an analysis of NHANES 1999–2000 and the USDA Pyramid Servings Database. J Am Coll Nutr 27, 80–87.
66. C La Vecchia (2009) Association between Mediterranean dietary patterns and cancer risk. Nutr Rev 67, Suppl. 1, S126–S129.
67. SL Tamers , T Agurs-Collins , KW Dodd et al. (2009) US and France adult fruit and vegetable consumption patterns: an international comparison. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 11–17.
68. ND Riediger , S Shooshtari & MH Moghadasian (2007) The influence of sociodemographic factors on patterns of fruit and vegetable consumption in Canadian adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1511–1518.
69. M Bes-Rastrollo , MA Martínez-González , A Sánchez-Villegas et al. (2006) Association of fiber intake and fruit/vegetable consumption with weight gain in a Mediterranean population. Nutrition 22, 504–511.
70. A Bach-Faig , D Geleva , JL Carrasco et al. (2006) Evaluating associations between Mediterranean diet adherence indexes and biomarkers of diet and disease. Public Health Nutr 9, 1110–1117.
71. JA Tur , L Serra-Majem , D Romaguera et al. (2005) Does the diet of the Balearic population, a Mediterranean type diet, still provide adequate antioxidant nutrient intakes? Eur J Nutr 44, 204–213.
73. R Llull , MM Bibiloni , E Martínez et al. (2011) Compliance with the 2010 nutritional objectives for the Spanish population in the Balearic Islands’ adolescents. Ann Nutr Metab 58, 212–219.
74. L Serra-Majem , JN de la Cruz , L Ribas et al. (2003) Mediterranean diet and health: is all the secret in olive oil? Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 33, 461–465.
75. J Woods & K Walker (2007) Choosing breakfast: how well does packet information on Australian breakfast cereals, bars and drinks reflect recommendations? Nutr Diet 64, 226–233.
76. M Doyon & J Labrecque (2008) Functional foods: a conceptual definition. Br Food J 110, 1133–1149.