This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , C Bamia & D Trichopoulos (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
4. DB Panagiotakos , C Pitsavos , F Arvaniti & C Stefanadis (2007) Adherence to the Mediterranean food pattern predicts the prevalence of hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes and obesity, among healthy adults; the accuracy of the MedDietScore. Prev Med 44, 335–340.
10. LR Vartanian , MB Schwartz & KD Brownell (2007) Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health 97, 667–675.
11. CD Kay , PM Kris-Etherton & SG West (2006) Effects of antioxidant-rich foods on vascular reactivity: review of the clinical evidence. Curr Atheroscler Rep 8, 510–522.
12. AM Hodge , DR English , K O’Dea & GG Giles (2006) Alcohol intake, consumption pattern and beverage type, and the risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med 23, 690–697.
14. JM Martin-Moreno , P Boyle , L Gorgojo , P Maisonneuve , JC Fernandez-Rodriguez , S Salvini & WC Willett (1993) Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 22, 512–519.
17. MA Pett , NR Lackey & JJ Sullivan (2003) Making Sense of Factor Analysis: The Use of Factor Analysis for Instrument Development in Health Care Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
19. S Chasan-Taber , EB Rimm , MJ Stampfer , D Spiegelman , GA Colditz , E Giovannucci , A Ascherio & WC Willett (1996) Reproducibility and validity of a self-administered physical activity questionnaire for male health professionals. Epidemiology 7, 81–86.
21. A Sánchez-Villegas , M Delgado-Rodríguez , MA Martínez-González & J De Irala-Estévez , Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra group (2003) Gender, age, socio-demographic and lifestyle factors associated with major dietary patterns in the Spanish Project SUN (Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra). Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 285–292.
23. TT Fung , FB Hu , MD Holmes , BA Rosner , DJ Hunter , GA Colditz & WC Willett (2005) Dietary patterns and the risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 116, 116–121.
24. T Fung , FB Hu , C Fuchs , E Giovannucci , DJ Hunter , MJ Stampfer , GA Colditz & WC Willett (2003) Major dietary patterns and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. Arch Intern Med 163, 309–314.
25. TT Fung , MJ Stampfer , JE Manson , KM Rexrode , WC Willett & FB Hu (2004) Prospective study of major dietary patterns and stroke risk in women. Stroke 35, 2014–2019.
27. TT Fung , WC Willett , MJ Stampfer , JE Manson & FB Hu (2001) Dietary patterns and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. Arch Intern Med 161, 1857–1862.
28. MB Schulze , TT Fung , JE Manson , WC Willett & FB Hu (2006) Dietary patterns and changes in body weight in women. Obesity 14, 1444–1453.
29. RM van Dam , EB Rimm , WC Willett , MJ Stampfer & FB Hu (2002) Dietary patterns and risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus in US men. Ann Intern Med 136, 201–209.
30. TT Fung , M Schulze , JE Manson , WC Willett & FB Hu (2004) Dietary patterns, meat intake, and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Arch Intern Med 164, 2235–2240.
33. C Chrysohoou , DB Panagiotakos , C Pitsavos , UN Das & C Stefanadis (2004) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet attenuates inflammation and coagulation process in healthy adults: the ATTICA study. J Am Coll Cardiol 44, 152–158.
34. R Estruch , MA Martinez-Gonzalez , D Corella ; PREDIMED Study Investigators (2004) Effects of a Mediterranean-style diet on cardiovascular risk factors: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 145, 1–11.
35. MA Martínez-González & A Sánchez-Villegas (2004) The emerging role of Mediterranean diets in cardiovascular epidemiology: monounsaturated fats, olive oil, red wine or the whole pattern? Eur J Epidemiol 19, 9–13.
38. A Paganini-Hill , CH Kawas & MM Corrada (2007) Non-alcoholic beverage and caffeine consumption and mortality: The Leisure World Cohort Study. Prev Med 44, 305–310.
40. W Sohn , BA Burt & MR Sowers (2006) Carbonated soft drinks and dental caries in the primary dentition. J Dent Res 85, 262–266.
42. MS Faith , BA Dennison , LS Edmunds & HH Stratton (2006) Fruit juice intake predicts increased adiposity gain in children from low-income families: weight status-by-environment interaction. Pediatrics 118, 2066–2075.
44. WC Winkelmayer , MJ Stampfer , WC Willett & GC Curhan (2005) Habitual caffeine intake and the risk of hypertension in women. JAMA 294, 2330–2335.
45. RM van Dam & FB Hu (2005) Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. JAMA 294, 97–104.
46. H Iso , C Date , K Wakai , M Fukui & A Tamakoshi , JACC Study Group (2006) The relationship between green tea and total caffeine intake and risk for self-reported type 2 diabetes among Japanese adults. Ann Intern Med 144, 554–562.
48. RA Forshee & ML Storey (2006) Demographics, not beverage consumption, is associated with diet quality. Int J Food Sci Nutr 57, 494–511.
49. TL Larowe , SM Moeller & AK Adams (2007) Beverage patterns, diet quality, and body mass index of US preschool and school-aged children. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1124–1133.
50. BM Popkin , DV Barclay & SJ Nielsen (2005) Water and food consumption patterns of US adults from 1999 to 2001. Obes Res 13, 2146–2152.