This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. R Jackson-Leach & T Lobstein (2006) Estimated burden of paediatric obesity and co-morbidities in Europe. Part 1. The increase in the prevalence of child obesity in Europe is itself increasing. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 26–32.
6. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: International survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
7. SC Savva , Y Kourides , M Tornaritis (2002) Obesity in children and adolescents in Cyprus. Prevalence and predisposing factors. Int J Obes 26, 1036–1045.
8. T Tzotzas , E Kapantais , K Tziomalos (2008) Epidemiological survey for the prevalence of overweight and abdominal obesity in Greek adolescents. Obesity 16, 1718–1722.
10. JL O’Neill , SN McCarthy , SJ Burke (2007) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Irish school children, using four different definitions. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 743–751.
11. DC Watkins , LJ Murray , P McCarron (2005) Ten-year trends for fatness in Northern Irish adolescents: the Young Hearts Projects – repeat cross-sectional study. Int J Obes 29, 579–585.
14. BM Kurth & A Schaffrath Rosario (2007) The prevalence of overweight and obese children and adolescents living in Germany. Results of the German health interview and examination survey for children and adolescents (KiGGS). Bundesgesundheitsblatt 50, 736–743.
15. K van den Hurk , P van Dommelen , S van Buuren (2007) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the Netherlands in 2003 compared to 1980 and 1997. Arch Dis Child 92, 992–995.
18. SC Savva , MJ Tomaritis , C Chadjigeorgiou (2008) Prevalence of overweight and obesity among 11-year-old children in Cyprus, 1997–2003. Int J Pediatr Obes 3, 186–192.
20. HF Cardoso & C Padez (2008) Changes in height, weight, BMI and in the prevalence of obesity among 9- to 11-year-old affluent Portuguese schoolboys, between 1960 and 2000. Ann Hum Biol 35, 624–638.
22. C Barron , C Comiskey & J Saris (2009) Prevalence rates and comparisons of obesity levels in Ireland. Br J Nurs 18, 799–803.
23. LM Boddy , AF Hackett & G Stratton (2009) Changes in BMI and prevalence of obesity and overweight in children in Liverpool, 1998–2006. Perspect Public Health 129, 127–131.
24. H Sweeting , P West & R Young (2008) Obesity among Scottish 15 year olds 1987–2006: prevalence and associations with socio-economic status, well-being and worries about weight. BMC Public Health 8, 404.
25. J Vignerová , L Humenikova , M Brabec (2007) Long-term changes in body weight, BMI and adiposity rebound among children and adolescents in the Czech Republic. Econ Human Biol 5, 409–425.
26. M Chrzanowska , S Koziel & SJ Ulijaszek (2007) Changes in BMI and the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents in Cracow, Poland, 1971–2000. Econ Human Biol 5, 370–378.
27. A Poplawska , A Dmitruk & A Wilczewski (2006) Change in body adiposity in girls and boys from the rural areas of East Poland over a time span of 20 years. Ann Hum Biol 33, 78–88.
28. S Kautiainen , A Rimpela , A Vikat (2002) Secular trends in overweight and obesity among Finnish adolescents in 1977–1999. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 544–552.
29. S Kautiainen , AM Koivisto , L Koivusilta (2009) Sociodemographic factors and a secular trend of adolescent overweight in Finland. Int J Pediatr Obes 4, 360–370.
30. S Lioret , M Touvier , C Dubuisson (2009) Trends in child overweight rates and energy intake in France from 1999 to 2007: relationships with socioeconomic status. Obesity 17, 1092–1100.
31. JA de Wilde , P van Dommelen , BJ Middelkoop (2009) Trends in overweight and obesity prevalence in Dutch, Turkish, Moroccan and Surinamese South Asian children in the Netherlands. Arch Dis Child 94, 795–800.
32. PB Juliusson , M Roelants , GE Eide (2007) Overweight and obesity in Norwegian children: secular trends in weight-for-height and skinfolds. Acta Paediatr 96, 1333–1337.
33. S Bjørnelv , S Lydersen , A Mylketun (2007) Changes in BMI-distribution from 1966–69 to 1995–97 in adolescents. The Young-HUNT study, Norway. BMC Public Health 7, 279.
34. S Bjornelv , S Lydersen , J Holmen (2009) Sex differences in time trends for overweight and obesity in adolescents: the Young-HUNT study. Scand J Public Health 37, 881–889.
35. OB Ekblom , EA Bak & BT Ekblom (2009) Trends in body mass in Swedish adolescents between 2001 and 2007. Acta Paediatr 98, 519–522.
36. A Sjoberg , L Lissner , K Albertsson-Wikland (2008) Recent anthropometric trends among Swedish school children: evidence for decreasing prevalence of overweight in girls. Acta Paediatr 97, 118–123.
37. E Sundblom , M Petzold , F Rasmussen (2008) Childhood overweight and obesity prevalences levelling off in Stockholm but socioeconomic differences persist. Int J Obes 32, 1525–1530.
38. CL Ogden , MD Carroll & KM Flegal (2008) High body mass index for age among US children and adolescents, 2003–2006. JAMA 299, 2401–2405.
39. A Yngve , I De Bourdeaudhuij , A Wolf (2008) Differences in prevalence of overweight and stunting in 11-year olds across Europe: The Pro Children Study. Eur J Public Health 18, 126–130.
40. B Sherry , ME Jefferds & LM Grummer-Strawn (2007) Accuracy of adolescent self-report of height and weight in assessing overweight status. A literature review. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161, 1154–1161.
41. S de Henauw , F Gottrand , I de Bourdeaudhuij (2007) Nutritional status and lifestyles of adolescents from a public health perspective. The HELENA project – Healthy Lifestyle in Europe by Nutrition in Adolescence. J Public Health 15, 187–197.