1. Prospective Studies Collaboration, Whitlock G, Lewington S et al. (2009) Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies. Lancet 373, 1083–1096.
2. Pischon T, Boeing H, Hoffmann K et al. (2008) General and abdominal adiposity and risk of death in Europe. N Engl J Med 359, 2105–2120.
3. Gallus S, Colombo P, Scarpino V et al. (2006) Overweight and obesity in Italian adults 2004, and an overview of trends since 1983. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 1174–1179.
4. Istituto Nazionale di Statistica (date not known) Mappe, Popolazione, Statistiche Demografiche. http://demo.istat.it/ (accessed May 2008).
5. Calza S, Decarli A & Ferraroni M (2008) Obesity and prevalence of chronic diseases in the 1999–2000 Italian National Health Survey. BMC Public Health 8, 140.
6. Cattaneo A, Monasta L, Stamatakis E et al. (2010) Overweight and obesity in infants and pre-school children in the European Union: a review of existing data. Obes Rev 11, 389–398.
7. Harnack L, Lytle L, Himes JH et al. (2009) Low awareness of overweight status among parents of preschool-aged children, Minnesota, 2004–2005. Prev Chronic Dis 6, A47.
8. Expert Panel on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight in Adults (1998) Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: executive summary. Am J Clin Nutr 68, 899–917.
9.No authors listed (2005) Obesity: etiology, treatment, prevention, and applications in practice. J Am Diet Assoc 105, Suppl. 1, S1–S136.
10. Author (2009) The obesity epidemic: strategies in reducing cardiometabolic risk. Am J Med 122, Suppl. 1, S1–S52.
11. World Health Organization (1995) Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. WHO Technical Report Series no. 854. Geneva: WHO.
12. Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE et al. (2002) Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 346, 393–403.
13. Lombard C, Deeks A, Jolley D et al. (2009) Preventing weight gain: the baseline weight related behaviors and delivery of a randomized controlled intervention in community based women. BMC Public Health 9, 2.
14. Lombard CB, Deeks AA, Ball K et al. (2009) Weight, physical activity and dietary behavior change in young mothers: short term results of the HeLP-her cluster randomized controlled trial. Nutr J 8, 17.
15. Sacerdote C, Fiorini L, Rosato R et al. (2006) Randomized controlled trial: effect of nutritional counselling in general practice. Int J Epidemiol 35, 409–415.
16. West DS, Raczynski JM, Phillips MM et al. (2008) Parental recognition of overweight in school-age children. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 630–636.
17. Huang J, Becerra K, Oda T et al. (2007) Parental ability to discriminate the weight status of children: results of a survey. Pediatrics 120, e112–e199.
18. Boutelle K, Fulkerson J, Neumark-Sztainer D et al. (2004) Mothers’ perceptions of their adolescents’ weight status: are they accurate? Obes Res 12, 1754–1757.
19. Etelson D, Brand D, Patrick P et al. (2003) Childhood obesity: do parents recognize this health risk? Obes Res 11, 1362–1368.
20. Towns N & D'Auria J (2009) Parental perceptions of their child's overweight: an integrative review of the literature. J Pediatr Nurs 24, 115–130.
21. Gillum RF & Sempos CT (2005) Ethnic variation in validity of classification of overweight and obesity using self-reported weight and height in American women and men: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Nutr J 4, 27.
22. Kuczmarski MF, Kuczmarski RJ & Najjar M (2001) Effects of age on validity of self-reported height, weight, and body mass index: findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 28–34.
23. Gorber SC, Tremblay M, Moher D et al. (2007) A comparison of direct vs. self-report measures for assessing height, weight and body mass index: a systematic review. Obes Rev 8, 307–326.
24. Paeratakul S, White MA, Williamson DA et al. (2002) Sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self-perception of overweight. Obes Res 10, 345–350.
25. Dalle Grave R, Cuzzolaro M, Calugi S et al. (2007) The effect of obesity management on body image in patients seeking treatment at medical centers. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 2320–2327.
26. McCabe MP, Ricciardelli LA & Holt K (2010) Are there different sociocultural influences on body image and body change strategies for overweight adolescent boys and girls? Eat Behav 11, 156–163.
27. Xu X, Mellor D, Kiehne M et al. (2010) Body dissatisfaction, engagement in body change behaviors and sociocultural influences on body image among Chinese adolescents. Body Image 7, 156–164.
28. Schwartz A & Doucet E (2010) Relative changes in resting energy expenditure during weight loss: a systematic review. Obes Rev 11, 531–537.
29. Dalle Grave R, Calugi S, Magri F et al. (2004) Weight loss expectations in obese patients seeking treatment at medical centers. Obes Res 12, 2005–2012.
30. Franz MJ, Bantle JP, Beebe CA et al. (2004) Nutrition principles and recommendations in diabetes. Diabetes Care 27, Suppl. 1, S36–S46.
31. Lucchin L, D'Amicis A, Gentile MG et al. (2009) A nationally representative survey of hospital malnutrition: the Italian PIMAI (Project: Iatrogenic Malnutrition in Italy) study. Med J Nutr Metab 2, 145–147.