This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. R Uauy , J Kain , V Mericq (2008) Nutrition, child growth, and chronic disease prevention. Ann Med 40, 11–20.
8. RE Black , LH Allen , ZA Bhutta (2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260.
10. P Engle & SL Huffman (2010) Growing children's bodies and minds: maximizing child nutrition and development. Food Nutr Bull 31, 2 Suppl., S186–S197.
11. M de Onis , M Blössner & E Borghi (2010) Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among pre-school children. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1257–1264.
12. Y Wang & T Lobstein (2006) Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 11–25.
13. MM Finucane , GA Stevens , MJ Cowan ; on behalf of the Global Burden of Metabolic Risk Factors of Chronic Diseases Collaborating Group (Body Mass Index) (2011) National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9.1 million participants. Lancet 377, 557–567.
14. R Beaglehole , R Bonita , R Horton ; Lancet NCD Action Group; NCD Alliance (2011) Priority actions for the non-communicable disease crisis. Lancet 377, 1438–1447.
17. SS Morris , B Cogill & R Uauy ; Maternal and Child Undernutrition Study Group (2008) Effective international action against undernutrition: why has it proven so difficult and what can be done to accelerate progress? Lancet 371, 608–621.
21. AS Daar , PA Singer , DL Persad (2007) Grand challenges in chronic non-communicable diseases. Nature 450, 494–496.
26. JE Austin (2000) Strategic collaboration between nonprofits and business. Nonprofit Voluntary Sector Q 29, 69–97.
27. VI Kraak & M Story (2010) A public health perspective on healthy lifestyles and public–private partnerships for global childhood obesity prevention. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 192–200.
28. J Dixon , C Sindall & C Banwell (2004) Exploring the intersectoral partnerships guiding Australia's dietary advice. Health Promot Int 19, 5–13.
33. JM Wojcicki & MB Heyman (2010) Malnutrition and the role of the soft drink industry in improving child health in sub-Sahara Africa. Pediatrics 126, e1–e5.
34. D Yach , ZA Feldman , DG Bradley (2010) Can the food industry help tackle the growing global burden of undernutrition? Am J Public Health 100, 974–980.
35. D Yach , M Khan , D Bradley (2010) The role and challenges of the food industry in addressing chronic disease. Global Health 6, 10.
36. CA Monteiro , FS Gomes & G Cannon (2010) The snack attack. Am J Public Health 100, 975–981.
38. JP Koplan & KD Brownell (2010) Response of the food and beverage industry to the obesity threat. JAMA 304, 1487–1488.
39. Y Freedhoff & PC Hébert (2011) Partnerships between health organizations and the food industry risk derailing public health nutrition. CMAJ 183, 291–292.
41. AB Gilmore , E Savell & J Collin (2011) Public health, corporations and the New Responsibility Deal: promoting partnerships with vectors of disease? J Public Health 33, 2–4.
47. D Evans & A Killoran (2000) Tackling health inequalities through partnership working: learning from a realistic evaluation. Crit Public Health 10, 125–140.
60. P Webb (2009) Malnutrition in emergencies: the framing of nutrition concerns in the humanitarian appeals process, 1992 to 2009. Food Nutr Bull 30, 379–389.
61. K Buse & AM Harmer (2007) Seven habits of highly effective global public–private health partnerships: practice and potential. Soc Sci Med 64, 259–271.
66. H Traitler , HJ Watzke & S Saguy (2011) Reinventing R&D in an open innovation ecosystem. J Food Sci 76, R62–R68.
67. RD Lasker , ES Weiss & R Miller (2001) Partnership synergy: a practical framework for studying and strengthening the collaborative advantage. Millbank Q 79, 179–205.
77. HB Sahud , HJ Binns , WL Meadow (2006) Marketing fast food: impact of fast food restaurants in children's hospitals. Pediatrics 118, 2290–2297.
80. J Collin & R MacKenzie (2006) The World Cup, sport sponsorship, and health. Lancet 367, 1964–1966.
81. A Krämer (2006) World Championship 2006 in Germany: sponsorship through Coca Cola, McDonald's, Anheuser-Busch. Eur J Public Health 16, 682.
82.Anon (2010) Trick or treat or UNICEF Canada. Lancet 376, 1514.
88. MG Mannar & M van Ameringen (2003) Role of public–private partnership in micronutrient food fortification. Food Nutr Bull 24, 4 Suppl., S151–S154.
92. D Stuckler , S Basu & M McKee (2011) Global health philanthropy and institutional relationships: how should conflicts of interest be addressed? PLoS Med 8, 1–10.
93. JA Singh , AS Daar & PA Singer (2010) Shared principles of ethics for infant and young child nutrition in the developing world. BMC Public Health 10, 321.
96. A Somogyi , J Hathcock , HK Biesalski (2011) Scientific issues related to Codex Alimentarius goals: a review of principles, with examples. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 60, 161–164.
97. J Richter (2004) Public–private partnerships for health: a trend with no alternatives? Development 47, 43–48.
100. QW Johnson & AS Wesley (2010) Miller's best/enhanced practices for flour fortification at the flour mill. Food Nutr Bull 31, 1 Suppl., S75–S85.
101. H Brody (2010) Professional medical organizations and commercial conflicts of interest: ethical issues. Ann Fam Med 8, 354–358.
102. LE Ferris & RH Fletcher (2010) Conflict of interest in peer-reviewed medical journals: the World Association of Medical Editors’ position on a challenging problem. Pharmacogn Mag 6, 71–73.
103. S Rowe , N Alexander , FM Clydesdale (2009) Funding food science and nutrition research: financial conflicts and scientific integrity. Nutr Rev 67, 264–272.
104. TA Brennan , DJ Rothman , L Blank (2006) Health industry practices that create conflicts of interest: a policy proposal for academic medical centers. JAMA 295, 429–433.
105. MB Cope & DB Allison (2010) White hat bias: examples of its presence in obesity research and a call for renewed commitment to faithfulness in research reporting. Int J Obes (Lond) 34, 84–88.
107. DS Tobin , J Dwyer & JD Gussow (1992) Cooperative relationships between professional societies and the food industry: opportunities or problems? Nutr Rev 50, 300–310.
109. JE James (2002) Third-party threats to research integrity in public–private partnerships. Addiction 97, 1251–1255.
118. VM Aguayo , JS Ross , S Kanon (2003) Monitoring compliance with the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes in West Africa: multisite cross sectional survey in Togo and Burkina Faso. BMJ 326, 127–133.
129. LL Sharma , SP Teret & K Brownell (2010) The food industry and self-regulation: Standards to promote success and to avoid public health failures. Am J Public Health 100, 240–246.