4. S Nakanishi , M Okubo , M Yoneda et al. (2004) A comparison between Japanese-Americans living in Hawaii and Los Angeles and native Japanese: the impact of lifestyle westernization on diabetes mellitus. Biomed Pharmacother 58, 571–577.
5. JT McDonald & S Kennedy (2005) Is migration to Canada associated with unhealthy weight gain? Overweight and obesity among Canada's immigrants. Soc Sci Med 61, 2469–2481.
7. RH Lustig , LA Schmidt & CD Brindis (2012) Public health: the toxic truth about sugar. Nature 482, 27–29.
8. RK Johnson , LJ Appel , M Brands et al. (2009) Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 120, 1011–1020.
9. RH Lustig (2010) Fructose: metabolic, hedonic, and societal parallels with ethanol. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 1307–1321.
10. D Chapelot (2011) The role of snacking in energy balance: a biobehavioral approach. J Nutr 141, 158–162.
12. C Issa , P Salameh , M Batal et al. (2009) The nutrient profile of traditional Lebanese composite dishes: comparison with composite dishes consumed in France. Int J Food Sci Nutr 60, Suppl. 4, 285–295.
13. OM Galal (2002) The nutrition transition in Egypt: obesity, undernutrition and the food consumption context. Public Health Nutr 5, 141–148.
15. L Nasreddine , N Hwalla , A Sibai et al. (2006) Food consumption patterns in an adult urban population in Beirut, Lebanon. Public Health Nutr 9, 194–203.
17. A Must & DJ Tybor (2005) Physical activity and sedentary behavior: a review of longitudinal studies of weight and adiposity in youth. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, Suppl. 2, S84–S96.
18. MM Hetherington , AS Anderson , GN Norton et al. (2006) Situational effects on meal intake: a comparison of eating alone and eating with others. Physiol Behav 88, 498–505.
19. CD Rehm , TD Matte , G Van Wye et al. (2008) Demographic and behavioral factors associated with daily sugar-sweetened soda consumption in New York City adults. J Urban Health 85, 375–385.
22. S Dogra , BA Meisner & CI Ardern (2010) Variation in mode of physical activity by ethnicity and time since immigration: a cross-sectional analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 7, 75.
23. JH Cummings & AM Stephen (2007) Carbohydrate terminology and classification. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, Suppl. 1, S5–S18.
25. D Mozaffarian , T Hao , EB Rimm et al. (2011) Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men. N Engl J Med 364, 2392–2404.
26. CA Monteiro , RB Levy , RM Claro et al. (2010) A new classification of foods based on the extent and purpose of their processing. Cad Saude Publica 26, 2039–2049.
29. CA Monteiro , FS Gomes & G Cannon (2010) The snack attack. Am J Public Health 100, 975–981.
30. CA Monteiro & G Cannon (2012) The impact of transnational ‘big food’ companies on the South: a view from Brazil. PLoS Med 9, e1001252.
34.American Diabetes Association (2011) Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 34, Suppl. 1, S62–S69.
40. JF Guthrie & JF Morton (2000) Food sources of added sweeteners in the diets of Americans. J Am Diet Assoc 100, 43–51.
42. LF Andersen , IT Lillegaard , N Overby et al. (2005) Overweight and obesity among Norwegian schoolchildren: changes from 1993 to 2000. Scand J Public Health 33, 99–106.
43. J-C Moubarac , M Cargo , O Receveur et al. (2012) Describing the situational contexts of sweetened product consumption in a Middle Eastern Canadian Community: application of a Mixed Method Design. PLoS One 7, e44738.
44. L Deldicque & M Francaux (2008) Functional food for exercise performance: fact or foe? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11, 774–781.
45. LG Bandini , D Vu , A Must et al. (1999) Comparison of high-calorie, low-nutrient-dense food consumption among obese and non-obese adolescents. Obes Res 7, 438–443.
46. P Mullie , D Aerenhouts & P Clarys (2012) Demographic, socioeconomic and nutritional determinants of daily versus non-daily sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened beverage consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 66, 150–155.
47. GA Bray (2010) Soft drink consumption and obesity: it is all about fructose. Curr Opin Lipidol 21, 51–57.
48. FB Hu & VS Malik (2010) Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes: epidemiologic evidence. Physiol Behav 100, 47–54.
50. LR Vartanian , MB Schwartz & KD Brownell (2007) Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health 97, 667–675.
51. MB Schulze , JE Manson , DS Ludwig et al. (2004) Sugar-sweetened beverages, weight gain, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in young and middle-aged women. JAMA 292, 927–934.
52. L Shi & Y Mao (2010) Excessive recreational computer use and food consumption behaviour among adolescents. Ital J Pediatr 36, 52.
53. A Asfaw (2011) Does consumption of processed foods explain disparities in the body weight of individuals? The case of Guatemala. Health Econ 20, 184–195.