This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. S Cummins & S Macintyre (2006) Food environments and obesity – neighbourhood or nation? Int J Epidemiol 35, 100–104.
3. G Egger & B Swinburn (1997) An ecological approach to the obesity pandemic. BMJ 315, 477–480.
4. A Drewnowski (2004) Obesity and the food environment: dietary energy density and diet costs. Am J Prev Med 27, 154–162.
5. K Booth , M Pinkston & W Poston (2005) Obesity and the built environment. J Am Diet Assoc 105, Suppl., S110–S117.
6. CL Arfken & CA Houston (1996) Obesity in inner-city African Americans. Ethn Health 1, 317–326.
8. L Alwitt (1997) Retail stores in poor urban neighborhood. J Consum Aff 31, 139–164.
10. ML Fitzgibbon & MR Stolley (2004) Environmental changes may be needed for prevention of overweight in minority children. Pediatr Ann 33, 45–49.
12. K Glanz , J Sallis , B Saelens & L Frank (2005) Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures. Am J Health Promot 19, 330–333.
13. N Wrigley , D Warm , B Margetts & A Whelan (2002) Assessing the impact of improved retail access on diet in a ‘food desert’: a preliminary report. Urban Stud 39, 2061–2082.
14. K Glanz & D Hoelscher (2004) Increasing fruit and vegetable intake by changing environments, policy and pricing: restaurant-based research, strategies and recommendations. Prev Med 39, Suppl. 2, S88–S93.
15. B Reger , M Wootan & S Booth-Butterfield (1999) Using mass media to promote healthy eating: a community-based demonstrating project. Prev Med 29, 414–421.
17. JD Seymour , AL Yaroch , M Serdula , HM Blanck & LK Khan (2004) Impact of nutrition environmental interventions on point-of-purchase behavior in adults: a review. Prev Med 39, Suppl. 2, S108–S136.
18. A Short , J Guthman & S Raskin (2007) Food deserts, oases, or mirages?: small markets and community food security in the San Francisco Bay area. J Plan Educ Res 26, 352–364.
21. S Sharma , X Cao , J Gittelsohn , H Arcan , M Mattingly , S Jennings , H-J Song & B Caballero (2009) Assessing dietary intake for the development of a Quantitative Food Frequency Questionnaire (QFFS) to develop a nutrition intervention to reduce risk of chronic diseases in an inner city African American population. Int J Food Sci Nutr (In the Press).
23. A Cheadle , B Psaty , S Curry , E Wagner , P Diehr & T Koepsell (1991) Community-level comparisons between the grocery store environment and individual dietary practices. Prev Med 20, 250–261.
24. A Kristal , L Goldenhar , J Muldoon & R Morton (1997) Evaluation of a supermarket intervention to increase consumption of fruits and vegetables. Am J Health Promot 11, 422–425.
26. A Rogers , L Kessler , B Portnoy , A Potosky , B Patterson & E Tensema (1994) Eat for Health: a supermarket intervention for nutrition and cancer risk reduction. Am J Public Health 84, 72–76.
27. S Skerratt (1999) Food availability and choice in rural Scotland: the impact of ‘place’. Br Food J 101, 537–544.