1. World Health Organization (2000) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity. WHO Technical Report Series no. 894. Geneva: WHO.
2. Abbott, RD, Behrens, GR, Sharp, DS et al. (1994) Body mass index and thromboembolic stroke in nonsmoking men in older middle age. The Honolulu Heart Program. Stroke 25, 2370–2376.
3. Arcaro, G, Zamboni, M, Rossi, L et al. (1999) Body fat distribution predicts the degree of endothelial dysfunction in uncomplicated obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23, 936–942.
4. Kortelainen, ML (2002) Myocardial infarction and coronary pathology in severely obese people examined at autopsy. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 73–79.
5. Lang, IA, Llewellyn, DJ, Alexander, K et al. (2008) Obesity, physical function, and mortality in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 56, 1474–1478.
6. Poirier, P, Giles, TD, Bray, GA et al. (2006) Obesity and cardiovascular disease: pathophysiology, evaluation, and effect of weight loss: an update of the 1997 American Heart Association Scientific Statement on Obesity and Heart Disease from the Obesity Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism. Circulation 113, 898–918.
7. Rhoads, GG & Kagan, A (1983) The relation of coronary disease, stroke, and mortality to weight in youth and in middle age. Lancet 1, 492–495.
8. Shinton, R, Shipley, M & Rose, G (1991) Overweight and stroke in the Whitehall study. J Epidemiol Community Health 45, 138–142.
9. Stamler, R, Stamler, J, Riedlinger, WF et al. (1978) Weight and blood pressure. Findings in hypertension screening of 1 million Americans. JAMA 240, 1607–1610.
10. McMillan-Price, J, Petocz, P, Atkinson, F et al. (2006) Comparison of 4 diets of varying glycemic load on weight loss and cardiovascular risk reduction in overweight and obese young adults: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 166, 1466–1475.
12. Davis, JN, Alexander, KE, Ventura, EE et al. (2009) Inverse relation between dietary fiber intake and visceral adiposity in overweight Latino youth. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1160–1166.
13. Harding, AH, Wareham, NJ, Bingham, SA et al. (2008) Plasma vitamin C level, fruit and vegetable consumption, and the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus: the European Prospective Investigation of Cancer – Norfolk Prospective Study. Arch Intern Med 168, 1493–1499.
14. Lee, JE, Giovannucci, E, Smith-Warner, SA et al. (2006) Intakes of fruits, vegetables, vitamins A, C, and E, and carotenoids and risk of renal cell cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15, 2445–2452.
15. Lopez, EP, Rice, C, Weddle, DO et al. (2008) The relationship among cardiovascular risk factors, diet patterns, alcohol consumption, and ethnicity among women aged 50 years and older. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 248–256.
16. Laaksonen, DE, Laukkanen, JA, Niskanen, L et al. (2004) Serum linoleic and total polyunsaturated fatty acids in relation to prostate and other cancers: a population-based cohort study. Int J Cancer 111, 444–450.
17. Laaksonen, DE, Nyyssonen, K, Niskanen, L et al. (2005) Prediction of cardiovascular mortality in middle-aged men by dietary and serum linoleic and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Arch Intern Med 165, 193–199.
18. Quatromoni, PA, Pencina, M, Cobain, MR et al. (2006) Dietary quality predicts adult weight gain: findings from the Framingham Offspring Study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 1383–1391.
19. Warensjo, E, Sundstrom, J, Vessby, B et al. (2008) Markers of dietary fat quality and fatty acid desaturation as predictors of total and cardiovascular mortality: a population-based prospective study. Am J Clin Nutr 88, 203–209.
20. Yang, EJ, Chung, HK, Kim, WY et al. (2003) Carbohydrate intake is associated with diet quality and risk factors for cardiovascular disease in U.S. adults: NHANES III. J Am Coll Nutr 22, 71–79.
21. Appel, LJ, Moore, TJ, Obarzanek, E et al. (1997) A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 336, 1117–1124.
22. Fogli-Cawley, JJ, Dwyer, JT, Saltzman, E et al. (2007) The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and risk of the metabolic syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr 86, 1193–1201.
23. Fung, TT, Willett, WC, Stampfer, MJ et al. (2001) Dietary patterns and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. Arch Intern Med 161, 1857–1862.
24. Krebs-Smith, SM & Kris-Etherton, P (2007) How does MyPyramid compare to other population-based recommendations for controlling chronic disease? J Am Diet Assoc 107, 830–837.
25. Dietz, WH (2004) Overweight in childhood and adolescence. N Engl J Med 350, 855–857.
26. Ogden, CL, Carroll, MD, Curtin, LR et al. (2006) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA 295, 1549–1555.
27. Drewnowski, A, Monsivais, P, Maillot, M et al. (2007) Low-energy-density diets are associated with higher diet quality and higher diet costs in French adults. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1028–1032.
28. Drewnowski, A (2004) Obesity and the food environment: dietary energy density and diet costs. Am J Prev Med 27, Suppl. 3, S154–S162.
29. Townsend, MS, Aaron, GJ, Monsivais, P et al. (2009) Less-energy-dense diets of low-income women in California are associated with higher energy-adjusted diet costs. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1220–1226.
31. Katz, DL, Michael, J, Treu, J et al. (2011) Teaching healthful food choices to elementary school students and their parents: the Nutrition Detectives™ program. J Sch Health 81, 21–28.
33. Katz, DL, Njike, VN, Faridi, Z et al. (2009) The stratification of foods on the basis of overall nutritional quality: the Overall Nutritional Quality Index (ONQI). Am J Health Promot 24, 133–143.
34. Katz, DL, Njike, VY, Faridi, Z et al. (2009) The stratification of foods on the basis of overall nutritional quality: the overall nutritional quality index. Am J Health Promot 24, 133–143.
35. Katz, DL, Njike, VY, Rhee, LQ et al. (2010) Performance characteristics of NuVal and the Overall Nutritional Quality Index (ONQI). Am J Clin Nutr 91, Suppl. 4, S1102–S1108.
36. Chiuve, SE, Sampson, L & Willett, WC (2010) Do nutrition rating systems promote a healthy diet? An evaluation of the Overall Nutritional Quality Index (ONQI) and risk of chronic disease. FASEB J 24, meeting Abstract Suppl., lb383.
37. Drewnowski, A & Specter, SE (2004) Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costs. Am J Clin Nutr 79, 6–16.
38. Raynor, HA, Kilanowski, CK, Esterlis, I et al. (2002) A cost-analysis of adopting a healthful diet in a family-based obesity treatment program. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 645–656.
39. Glanz, K, Basil, M, Maibach, E et al. (1998) Why Americans eat what they do: taste, nutrition, cost, convenience, and weight control concerns as influences on food consumption. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1118–1126.
40. Horgen, KB & Brownell, KD (2002) Comparison of price change and health message interventions in promoting healthy food choices. Health Psychol 21, 505–512.
41. Lappalainen, R, Saba, A, Holm, L et al. (1997) Difficulties in trying to eat healthier: descriptive analysis of perceived barriers for healthy eating. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, Suppl. 2, S36–S40.
42. Lloyd, HM, Paisley, CM & Mela, DJ (1995) Barriers to the adoption of reduced-fat diets in a UK population. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 316–322.
43. Sealy, YM (2010) Parents’ food choices: obesity among minority parents and children. Community Health Nurs 27, 1–11.
44. Wiig, K & Smith, C (2009) The art of grocery shopping on a food stamp budget: factors influencing the food choices of low-income women as they try to make ends meet. Public Health Nutr 12, 1726–1734.
45. Lawrence, W & Barker, M (2009) A review of factors affecting the food choices of disadvantaged women. Proc Nutr Soc 68, 189–194.
46. Inglis, V, Ball, K & Crawford, D (2005) Why do women of low socioeconomic status have poorer dietary behaviours than women of higher socioeconomic status? A qualitative exploration. Appetite 45, 334–343.
47. Watt, RG, Tull, KI, Hardy, R et al. (2009) Effectiveness of a social support intervention on infant feeding practices: randomised controlled trial. J Epidemiol Community Health 63, 156–162.
48. Andreyeva, T, Long, MW & Brownell, KD (2010) The impact of food prices on consumption: a systematic review of research on the price elasticity of demand for food. Am J Public Health 100, 216–222.
51. Dowler, E (2010) Income needed to achieve a minimum standard of living. BMJ 341, c4070.