This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. J Lumley , L Watson , M Watson & C Bower (2001) Periconceptional supplementation with folate and/or multivitamins for preventing neural tube defects. Cochrane Database Syst Rev issue 3, CD001056.
4. C Bower , N DeKlerk , S Hickling , G Ambrosini , L Flicker , E Geelhoed & E Milne (2006) Assessment of the potential effect of incremental increases on folic acid intake on neural tube defects in Australia and New Zealand. Aust N Z J Public Health 30, 369–374.
8. ML Conlin , AH MacLennan & JL Broadbent (2006) Inadequate compliance with periconceptional folic acid supplementation in South Australia. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 46, 528–533.
10. C Bower , A Ryan , E Rudy & M Miller (2002) Trends in neural tube defects in Western Australia. Aust N Z J Public Health 26, 150–151.
14. C Bower , L Blum , K O’Daly , C Higgins , F Loutsky & C Kosky (1997) Promotion of folate for the prevention of neural tube defects: knowledge and use of periconceptional folic acid supplements in Western Australia, 1992 to 1995. Aust N Z J Public Health 21, 716–721.
21. M Rapley (2003) QoL in health and social care. In Quality of Life Research: A Critical Introduction, Ist ed., pp. 139–165. London: Sage Publications.
22. MEA Stouthard , M-L Essink-Bot & GJ Bonsel , on behalf of the Dutch Disability Weights Group (2000) Disability weights for diseases: a modified protocol and results for a Western European region. Eur J Public Health 10, 24–30.
26. CA Rowland , A Correa , JD Cragan & CJ Alverson (2006) Are encephaloceles neural tube defects? Pediatrics 118, 916–923.
27. B George , A Harris & A Mitchell (2001) Cost-effectiveness analysis and the consistency of decision making: evidence from pharmaceutical reimbursement in Australia (1991 to 1996). Pharmacoeconomics 19, 1–8.
28. A Busby , L Abramsky , H Dolk & BA Armstrong (2005) Eurocat Folic Acid Working Group. Preventing neural tube defects in Europe: population based study. BMJ 330, 574–575.
30. JM Lawrence , ML Watkins , V Chiu , JD Erikson & DB Petitti (2006) Do racial and ethnic differences in serum folate values exist after food fortification with folic acid? Am J Obstet Gynecol 194, 520–526.
34. SD Grosse , NJ Waitzman , PS Romano & J Mulinare (2005) Reevaluating the benefits of folic acid fortification in the United States: economic analysis, regulation and public health. Am J Public Health 95, 1917–1922.
36. P De Wals , F Tairou , MI Van Allen (2007) Reduction in neural-tube defects after folic acid fortification in Canada. N Engl J Med 357, 135–142.
38. LT Chen & MA Rivera (2004) The Costa Rican experience: reduction in neural tube defects following food fortification programs. Nutr Rev 62, 6 Pt 2, S40–S43.
40. LE Daly , PN Kirke , A Molloy , DG Weir & JM Scott (2005) Folate levels and neural tube defects: implications for prevention. JAMA 274, 1698–1702.
41. M Dietrich , CJP Brown & G Block (2005) The effect of folate fortification of cereal-grain products on blood folate status, dietary folate intake, and dietary folate sources among adult non-supplement users in the United States. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 266–274.
42. A Llanos , E Hertrampf , F Cortes , A Pardo , SD Grosse & R Uauy (2007) Cost-effectiveness of a folic acid fortification program in Chile. Health Policy 83, 295–303.
43. J Jentik , NW can de Vrie-Hoekstra , LT de Jong-van den Berg & MJ Postma (2008) Economic evaluation of folic acid food fortification in The Netherlands. Eur J Public Health 18, 270–274.
44. PS Romano , NJ Waitzman , RM Scheffler & RD Pi (1995) Folic acid fortification of grain: an economic analysis. Am J Public Health 85, 667–676.
47. JA Tice , E Ross , PG Coxson , I Rosenberg , MC Weinstein , MG Hunick , PA Goldman , L Williams & L Goldman (2001) Cost effectiveness of vitamin therapy to lower plasma homocysteine levels for the prevention of coronary heart disease: effect of grain fortification and beyond. JAMA 286, 936–943.
48. R Hutubessy , D Chisholm , T Tan-Torres Edejer & WHO-CHOICE (2003) Generalized cost-effectiveness analysis for national-level priority-setting in the health sector. Cost Eff Resour Alloc 1, 1–13.
49. CJL Murray , DB Evans , A Acharya & RMPM Baltussen (2000) Development of the WHO guidelines on generalized cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Econ 9, 235–251.
51. MR Chacko , R Anding , CA Kozinetz , JL Grover & PB Smith (2003) Neural tube defects: knowledge and preconceptional prevention practices in minority young women. Pediatrics 112, 536–542.
52. JM Robbins , MA Cleves , HB Collins , N Andrews , LN Smith & CA Hobbs (2005) Randomized trial of a physician-based intervention to increase the use of folic acid supplements among women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 192, 1126–1132.
53. PAL Ashfield-Watt , JM Whiting , ZE Clark , SJ Moat , RG Newcombe , ML Burr & IFW McDowell (2003) A comparison of the effect of advice to eat either ‘5-a-day’ fruit and vegetables or folic acid-fortified foods on plasma folate and homocysteine. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 316–323.
55. HEK de Walle , KM van der Pal , LTW de Jong-van den Berg , W Jeeninga , JSAG Schouten , CM de Rover , SE Buitendijk & MC Cornel (1999) Effect of mass media campaign to reduce socioeconomic differences in women’s awareness and behaviour concerning use of folic acid: cross sectional study. BMJ 319, 291–292.