This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. S Gauthier , B Reisberg , M Zaudig (2006) Mild cognitive impairment. Lancet 367, 1262–1270.
4. CE Hou , K Yaffe , EJ Perez-Stable & BL Miller (2006) Frequency of dementia etiologies in four ethnic groups. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Dis 22, 42–47.
7. C Napoli & W Palinski (2005) Neurodegenerative diseases: insights into pathogenic mechanisms from atherosclerosis. Neurobiol Aging 26, 293–302.
8. DT Nash & H Fillit (2006) Cardiovascular disease risk factors and cognitive impairment. Am J Cardiol 97, 1262–1265.
9. MJ Stampfer (2006) Cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer’s disease: common links. J Intern Med 260, 211–223.
10. L White & L Launer (2006) Relevance of cardiovascular risk factors and ischemic cerebrovascular disease to the pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease: a review of accrued findings from the Honolulu–Asia Aging Study. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 20, S79–S83.
11. DV Espino , MJ Lichtenstein , RF Palmer & HP Hazuda (2001) Ethnic differences in Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) scores: where you live makes a difference. J Am Geriatr Soc 49, 538–548.
13. AU Monsch , NS Foldi , DE Ermini-Funfschilling , M Berres , KI Taylor , E Seifritz , HB Stahelin & R Spiegel (1995) Improving the diagnostic accuracy of the Mini-Mental State Examination. Acta Neurol Scand 92, 145–150.
14. R Stewart , J Johnson , M Richards , C Brayne & A Mann (2002) The distribution of Mini-Mental State Examination scores in an older UK African-Caribbean population compared to MRC CFA study norms. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17, 745–751.
16. AJ de Craen , TJ Heeren & J Gussekloo (2003) Accuracy of the 15-item Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS-15) in a community sample of the oldest old. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18, 63–66.
18. DP Osborn , AE Fletcher , L Smeeth , S Stirling , M Nunes , E Breeze , E Siu-Woon Ng , CJ Bulpitt , D Jones & A Tulloch (2002) Geriatric Depression Scale scores in a representative sample of 14 545 people aged 75 and over in the United Kingdom: results from the MRC Trial of Assessment and Management of Older People in the Community. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17, 375–382.
19. JA Yesavage , TL Brink , TL Rose , O Lum , V Huang , M Adey & VO Leirer (1982) Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report. J Psychiatr Res 17, 37–49.
21. A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , C Bamia & D Trichopoulos (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. New Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
22. S Bingham & E Riboli (2004) Diet and cancer – the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Nat Rev Cancer 4, 206–215.
24. C Gnardellis , A Trichopoulou , K Katsouyanni , E Polychronopoulos , EB Rimm & D Trichopoulos (1995) Reproducibility and validity of an extensive semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire among Greek school teachers. Epidemiology 6, 74–77.
28. W Willett & M Stampfer (1998) Implications of total energy intake for epidemiological analyses. In Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed., pp. 273–301 [W Willett, editor]. New York: Oxford University Press.
29. A Trichopoulou , C Gnardellis , A Lagiou , V Benetou & D Trichopoulos (2000) Body mass index in relation to energy intake and expenditure among adults in Greece. Epidemiology 11, 333–336.
30. BE Ainsworth , WL Haskell , AS Leon , DR Jacobs Jr, HJ Montoye , JF Sallis & RS Paffenbarger Jr (1993) Compendium of physical activities: classification of energy costs of human physical activities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25, 71–80.
31. RM Crum , JC Anthony , SS Bassett & MF Folstein (1993) Population-based norms for the Mini-Mental State Examination by age and educational level. JAMA 269, 2386–2391.
32. MF Folstein , SE Folstein & PR McHugh (1975) ‘Mini-mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 12, 189–198.
33. HL Park , JE O’Connell & RG Thomson (2003) A systematic review of cognitive decline in the general elderly population. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18, 1121–1134.
34. TN Tombaugh & NJ McIntyre (1992) The Mini-Mental State Examination: a comprehensive review. J Am Geriatr Soc 40, 922–935.
35. F Pasquier , A Boulogne , D Leys & P Fontaine (2006) Diabetes mellitus and dementia. Diabetes Metab 32, 403–414.
36. E van den Berg , RP Kessels , LJ Kappelle , EH de Hann & GJ Biessels (2006) Type 2 diabetes, cognitive function and dementia: vascular and metabolic determinants. Drugs Today (Barc) 42, 741–754.
37. M Ganguli , Y Du , HH Dodge , GG Ratcliff & CC Chang (2006) Depressive symptoms and cognitive decline in late life: a prospective epidemiological study. Arch Gen Psychiatry 63, 153–160.
38. RC Green , LA Cupples , A Kurz (2003) Depression as a risk factor for Alzheimer disease: the MIRAGE Study. Arch Neurol 60, 753–759.
40. JA Cervilla , M Prince , S Joels , S Lovestone & A Mann (2000) Long-term predictors of cognitive outcome in a cohort of older people with hypertension. Br J Psychiatry 177, 66–71.
41. F Forette , ML Seux , JA Staessen (1998) Prevention of dementia in randomised double-blind placebo-controlled Systolic Hypertension in Europe (Syst-Eur) trial. Lancet 352, 1347–1351.
42. I Skoog & D Gustafson (2006) Update on hypertension and Alzheimer’s disease. Neurol Res 28, 605–611.
43. D Gunnell (2002) Can adult anthropometry be used as a ‘biomarker’ for prenatal and childhood exposures? Int J Epidemiol 31, 390–394.
44. RD Abbott , LR White , GW Ross , H Petrovitch , KH Masaki , DA Snowdon & JD Curb (1998) Height as a marker of childhood development and late-life cognitive function: the Honolulu–Asia Aging Study. Pediatrics 102, 602–609.
45. MS Beeri , M Davidson , JM Silverman , S Noy , J Schmeidler & U Goldbourt (2005) Relationship between body height and dementia. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13, 116–123.
46. SK Jeong , JM Kim , SS Kweon , MH Shin , MW Seo & YH Kim (2005) Does arm length indicate cognitive and functional reserve? Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20, 406–412.
47. AS Buchman , JA Schneider , RS Wilson , JL Bienias & DA Bennett (2006) Body mass index in older persons is associated with Alzheimer disease pathology. Neurology 67, 1949–1954.
48. D Gustafson (2006) Adiposity indices and dementia. Lancet Neurol 5, 713–720.
49. L Fratiglioni , S Paillard-Borg & B Winblad (2004) An active and socially integrated lifestyle in late life might protect against dementia. Lancet Neurol 3, 343–353.
50. NT Lautenschlager & OP Almeida (2006) Physical activity and cognition in old age. Curr Opin Psychiatry 19, 190–193.
51. CW Cotman & NC Berchtold (2002) Exercise: a behavioral intervention to enhance brain health and plasticity. Trends Neurosci 25, 295–301.
52. D Juan , DH Zhou , J Li , JY Wang , C Gao & M Chen (2004) A 2-year follow-up study of cigarette smoking and risk of dementia. Eur J Neurol 11, 277–282.
53. A Ott , K Andersen , ME Dewey (2004) Effect of smoking on global cognitive function in nondemented elderly. Neurology 62, 920–924.
54. OP Almeida , GK Hulse , D Lawrence & L Flicker (2002) Smoking as a risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease: contrasting evidence from a systematic review of case–control and cohort studies. Addiction 97, 15–28.
55. L Letenneur , S Larrieu & P Barberger-Gateau (2004) Alcohol and tobacco consumption as risk factors of dementia: a review of epidemiological studies. Biomed Pharmacother 58, 95–99.
57. MF Allam , MJ Campbell , A Hofman , AS Del Castillo & R Fernandez-Crehuet Navajas (2004) Smoking and Parkinson’s disease: systematic review of prospective studies. Mov Disord 19, 614–621.
58. N Scarmeas , Y Stern , MX Tang , R Mayeux & JA Luchsinger (2006) Mediterranean diet and risk for Alzheimer’s disease. Ann Neurol 59, 912–921.
59. V Solfrizzi , C Capurso & F Panza (2006) Adherence to a Mediterranean dietary pattern and risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Ann Neurol 60, 620.
60. V Solfrizzi , AM Colacicco , A D’Introno , C Capurso , F Torres , C Rizzo , A Capurso & F Panza (2006) Dietary intake of unsaturated fatty acids and age-related cognitive decline: a 8·5-year follow-up of the Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Neurobiol Aging 27, 1694–1704.
61. V Solfrizzi , AM Colacicco , A D’Introno , C Capurso , A Del Parigi , SA Capurso , G Argentieri , A Capurso & F Panza (2006) Dietary fatty acids intakes and rate of mild cognitive impairment. The Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Exp Gerontol 41, 619–627.
62. V Solfrizzi , A D’Introno , AM Colacicco , C Capurso , A Del Parigi , S Capurso , A Gadaleta , A Capurso & F Panza (2005) Dietary fatty acids intake: possible role in cognitive decline and dementia. Exp Gerontol 40, 257–270.
63. MC Morris , DA Evans , JL Bienias , CC Tangney & RS Wilson (2004) Dietary fat intake and 6-year cognitive change in an older biracial community population. Neurology 62, 1573–1579.
64. S Kalmijn , EJ Feskens , LJ Launer & D Kromhout (1997) Polyunsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants, and cognitive function in very old men. Am J Epidemiol 145, 33–41.
67. MJ Engelhart , MI Geerlings , A Ruitenberg , JC Van Swieten , A Hofman , JC Witteman & MM Breteler (2002) Diet and risk of dementia: does fat matter?: The Rotterdam Study. Neurology 59, 1915–1921.
68. AM Issa , WA Mojica , SC Morton , S Traina , SJ Newberry , LG Hilton , RH Garland & CH Maclean (2006) The efficacy of omega-3 fatty acids on cognitive function in aging and dementia: a systematic review. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Disord 21, 88–96.
69. S Kalmijn , LJ Launer , A Ott , JC Witteman , A Hofman & MM Breteler (1997) Dietary fat intake and the risk of incident dementia in the Rotterdam Study. Ann Neurol 42, 776–782.
70. S Kalmijn , MP van Boxtel , M Ocke , WM Verschuren , D Kromhout & LJ Launer (2004) Dietary intake of fatty acids and fish in relation to cognitive performance at middle age. Neurology 62, 275–280.
71. MC Morris , DA Evans , JL Bienias , CC Tangney , DA Bennett , RS Wilson , N Aggarwal & J Schneider (2003) Consumption of fish and n-3 fatty acids and risk of incident Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol 60, 940–946.
72. PD Reaven , BJ Grasse & DL Tribble (1994) Effects of linoleate-enriched and oleate-enriched diets in combination with alpha-tocopherol on the susceptibility of LDL and LDL subfractions to oxidative modification in humans. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 14, 557–566.