1. Thapar, A, Collishaw, S, Pine, DS et al. (2012) Depression in adolescence. Lancet 379, 1056–1067.
2. Birmaher, B, Williamson, DE, Dahl, RE et al. (2004) Clinical presentation and course of depression in youth: does onset in childhood differ from onset in adolescence? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43, 63–70.
3. Whiteford, HA, Degenhardt, L, Rehm, J et al. (2013) Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 382, 1575–1586.
4. Lai, J, Hiles, S, Bisquera, A et al. (2014) A systematic review and meta-analysis of dietary patterns and depression in community-dwelling adults. Am J Clin Nutr 99, 181–197.
5. Psaltopoulou, T, Sergentanis, TN, Panagiotakos, DB et al. (2013) Mediterranean diet, stroke, cognitive impairment, and depression: a meta-analysis. Ann Neurol 74, 580–591.
6. Liu, X, Yan, Y, Li, F et al. (2016) Fruit and vegetable consumption and the risk of depression: a meta-analysis. Nutrition 32, 296–302.
7. Li, F, Liu, X & Zhang, D (2016) Fish consumption and risk of depression: a meta-analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health 70, 299–304.
8. Miller, GE, Freedland, KE, Carney, RM et al. (2003) Pathways linking depression, adiposity, and inflammatory markers in healthy young adults. Brain Behav Immun 17, 276–285.
9. Luppino, F, de Wit, L, Bouvy, P et al. (2016) Overweight, obesity, and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67, 220–229.
10. Quek, Y-H, Tam, WWS, Zhang, MWB et al. (2017) Exploring the association between childhood and adolescent obesity and depression: a meta-analysis. Obes Rev 18, 742–754.
11. Khandaker, G, Pearson, R, Zammit, S et al. (2014) Association of serum interleukin 6 and C-reactive protein in childhood with depression and psychosis in young adult life. JAMA Psychiatry 71, 1121–1128.
12. Haapakoski, R, Mathieu, J, Ebmeier, KP et al. (2015) Cumulative meta-analysis of interleukins 6 and 1β, tumour necrosis factor α and C-reactive protein in patients with major depressive disorder. Brain Behav Immun 49, 206–215.
13. Fung, TT, McCullough, ML, Newby, PK et al. (2005) Diet-quality scores and plasma concentrations of markers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 163–173.
14. O’Neil, A, Quirk, SE, Housden, S et al. (2014) Relationship between diet and mental health in children and adolescents: a systematic review. Am J Public Health 104, e31–e42.
15. Khalid, S, Williams, CM & Reynolds, SA (2016) Is there an association between diet and depression in children and adolescents? A systematic review. Br J Nutr 116, 2097–2108.
16. Jacka, FN, Kremer, PJ, Berk, M et al. (2011) A prospective study of diet quality and mental health in adolescents. PLoS One 6, e24805.
17. McMartin, SE, Kuhle, S, Colman, I et al. (2012) Diet quality and mental health in subsequent years among Canadian youth. Public Health Nutr 15, 2253–2258.
18. Jacka, FN, Rothon, C, Taylor, S et al. (2013) Diet quality and mental health problems in adolescents from East London: a prospective study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 48, 1297–1306.
19. Goodyer, IM, Croudace, T, Dunn, V et al. (2010) Cohort Profile: Risk patterns and processes for psychopathology emerging during adolescence: the ROOTS project. Int J Epidemiol 39, 361–369.
20. Lewis, G, Jones, PB & Goodyer, IM (2016) The ROOTS study: a 10-year review of findings on adolescent depression, and recommendations for future longitudinal research. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 51, 161–170.
21. Burleson Daviss, W, Birmaher, B, Melhem, NA et al. (2006) Criterion validity of the Mood and Feelings Questionnaire for depressive episodes in clinic and non-clinic subjects. J Child Psychol Psychiatry Allied Discip 47, 927–934.
22. Costello, EJ & Angold, A (1988) Scales to assess child and adolescent depression: checklists, screens, and nets. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 27, 726–737.
23. Tong, TYN, Wareham, NJ, Khaw, K-T et al. (2016) Prospective association of the Mediterranean diet with cardiovascular disease incidence and mortality and its population impact in a non-Mediterranean population: the EPIC-Norfolk study. BMC Med 14, 135.
24. Liese, AD, Krebs-Smith, SM, Subar, AF et al. (2015) The Dietary Patterns Methods Project: synthesis of findings across cohorts and relevance to dietary guidance. J Nutr 145, 393–402.
25. van de Laar, RJJ, Stehouwer, CDA, van Bussel, BCT et al. (2013) Adherence to a Mediterranean dietary pattern in early life is associated with lower arterial stiffness in adulthood: the Amsterdam Growth and Health Longitudinal Study. J Intern Med 273, 79–93.
26. Fitt, E, Cole, D, Ziauddeen, N et al. (2015) DINO (Diet In Nutrients Out) – an integrated dietary assessment system. Public Health Nutr 18, 234–241.
27. Crawley, H (2002) Food Portion Sizes, 3rd ed. London: The Stationery Office.
28. Davies, OH, Suleiman, S, Nicholas, J et al. (2008) Food portion weights in primary and secondary school lunches in England. J Hum Nutr Diet 21, 46–62.
29. Wrieden, WL, Longbottom, PJ, Adamson, AJ et al. (2008) Estimation of typical food portion sizes for children of different ages in Great Britain. Br J Nutr 99, 1344–1353.
30. Rhee, JJ, Sampson, L, Cho, E et al. (2015) Comparison of methods to account for implausible reporting of energy intake in epidemiologic studies. Am J Epidemiol 181, 225–233.
31. Willett, W (2013) Nutritional Epidemiology, 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
33. Angold, A, Costello, EJ, Messer, SC et al. (1995) Development of a short questionnaire for use in epidemiological studies of depression in children and adolescents. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 5, 237–249.
34. Rai, D, Zitko, P, Jones, K et al. (2013) Country- and individual-level socioeconomic determinants of depression: multilevel cross-national comparison. Br J Psychiatry 202, 195–203.
35. World Health Organization (2017) Adolescent Obesity and Related Behaviours: Trends and Inequalities in the WHO European Region. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe.
36. Audrain-McGovern, J, Rodriguez, D & Kassel, JD (2009) Adolescent smoking and depression: evidence for self-medication and peer smoking mediation. Addiction 104, 1743–1756.
37. Toseeb, U, Brage, S, Corder, K et al. (2014) Exercise and depressive symptoms in adolescents: a longitudinal cohort study. JAMA Pediatr 168, 1093–1100.
38. Ivanenko, A, McLaughlin Crabtree, V & Gozal, D (2005) Sleep and depression in children and adolescents. Sleep Med Rev 9, 115–129.
39. Pedrelli, P, Shapero, B, Archibald, A et al. (2016) Alcohol use and depression during adolescence and young adulthood: a summary and interpretation of mixed findings. Curr Addict Rep 3, 91–97.
40. Alamian, A & Paradis, G (2009) Clustering of chronic disease behavioral risk factors in Canadian children and adolescents. Prev Med 48, 493–499.
41. Dumith, SC, Muniz, LC, Tassitano, RM et al. (2012) Clustering of risk factors for chronic diseases among adolescents from Southern Brazil. Prev Med 54, 393–396.
42. van Harmelen, A-L, Gibson, JL St, Clair, MC et al. (2016) Friendships and family support reduce subsequent depressive symptoms in at-risk adolescents. PLoS One 11, e0153715.
43. MacPhee, AR & Andrews, JJW (2006) Risk factors for depression in adolescence. Adolescence 41, 435–466.
44. Ambrosini, GL, Emmett, PM, Northstone, K et al. (2012) Identification of a dietary pattern prospectively associated with increased adiposity during childhood and adolescence. Int J Obes (Lond) 36, 1299–1305.
45. Willett, WC, Howe, GR & Kushi, LH (1997) Adjustment for total energy intake in epidemiologic studies. Am J Clin Nutr 65, 4 Suppl., 1220S–1228S.
47. Collings, PJ, Wijndaele, K, Corder, K et al. (2015) Magnitude and determinants of change in objectively-measured physical activity, sedentary time and sleep duration from ages 15 to 17.5y in UK adolescents: the ROOTS study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 12, 61.
48. Wolfson, AR, Carskadon, MA, Acebo, C et al. (2003) Evidence for the validity of a sleep habits survey for adolescents. Sleep 26, 213–216.
49. Miller, IW, Epstein, NB, Bishop, DS et al. (1985) The McMaster Family Assessment Device. J Marital Fam Ther 11, 345–356.
50. Epstein, NB, Baldwin, LM & Bishop, DS (1983) The McMaster Family Assessment Device: reliability and validity. J Marital Fam Ther 9, 171–180.
51. Goodyer, IM, Wright, C & Altham, PM (1989) Recent friendships in anxious and depressed school age children. Psychol Med 19, 165–174.
52. Rosenberg, M (1965) Society and the Adolescent Self-Image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
53. Sinclair, SJ, Blais, MA, Gansler, DA et al. (2010) Psychometric properties of the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale: overall and across demographic groups living within the United States. Eval Health Prof 33, 56–80.
54. Cole, TJ, Freeman, JV & Preece, MA (1998) British 1990 growth reference centiles for weight, height, body mass index and head circumference fitted by maximum penalized likelihood. Stat Med 17, 407–429.
55. Lai, MHC & Kwok, O (2015) Examining the rule of thumb of not using multilevel modeling: the ‘Design Effect Smaller Than Two’ rule. J Exp Educ 83, 423–438.
56. White, IR, Royston, P & Wood, AM (2011) Multiple imputation using chained equations: issues and guidance for practice. Stat Med 30, 377–399.
57. Burrows, TL, Martin, RJ & Collins, CE (2010) A systematic review of the validity of dietary assessment methods in children when compared with the method of doubly labeled water. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 1501–1510.
58. Maurer, J, Taren, DL, Teixeira, PJ et al. (2006) The psychosocial and behavioral characteristics related to energy misreporting. Nutr Rev 64, 53–66.
59. Chaiton, MO, Cohen, JE, O’Loughlin, J et al. (2009) A systematic review of longitudinal studies on the association between depression and smoking in adolescents. BMC Public Health 9, 356.
60. Merikangas, K, Jian-ping, H, Burstein, M et al. (2011) Lifetime prevalence of mental disorders in US adolescents: results from the National Comorbidity Study–Adolescent Supplement. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 49, 980–989.
61. Skogen, JC, Knudsen, AK, Hysing, M et al. (2016) Trajectories of alcohol use and association with symptoms of depression from early to late adolescence: the Norwegian Longitudinal Health Behaviour Study. Drug Alcohol Rev 35, 307–316.
63. Kuh, D, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Lynch, J et al. (2003) A glossary for life course epidemiology. J Epidemiol Community Health 57, 778–783.