This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. D Yach , C Hawkes , CL Gould & KJ Hofman (2004) The global burden of chronic diseases: overcoming impediments to prevention and control. JAMA 291, 2616–2622.
2. H Boeing , J Wahrendorf & N Becker (1999) EPIC-Germany – a source for studies into diet and risk of chronic diseases. European Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Ann Nutr Metab 43, 195–204.
3. AR Ness & JW Powles (1997) Fruit and vegetables, and cardiovascular disease: a review. Int J Epidemiol 26, 1–13.
4. KP Tercyak & VL Tyc (2006) Opportunities and challenges in the prevention and control of cancer and other chronic diseases: children’s diet and nutrition and weight and physical activity. J Pediatr Psychol 31, 750–763.
5. A Waxman (2003) Prevention of chronic diseases: WHO global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. Food Nutr Bull 24, 281–284.
6. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , MD Resnick & RW Blum (1998) Lessons learned about adolescent nutrition from the Minnesota Adolescent Health Survey. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1449–1456.
7. KA Munoz , SM Krebs-Smith , R Ballard-Barbash & LE Cleveland (1997) Food intakes of US children and adolescents compared with recommendations. Pediatrics 100, 323–329.
8. RK Johnson , DG Johnson , MQ Wang , H Smiciklas-Wright & HA Guthrie (1994) Characterizing nutrient intakes of adolescents by sociodemographic factors. J Adolesc Health 15, 149–154.
9. K Northstone & P Emmett (2005) Multivariate analysis of diet in children at four and seven years of age and associations with socio-demographic characteristics. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 751–760.
10. Z Shi , N Lien , BN Kumar & G Holmboe-Ottesen (2005) Socio-demographic differences in food habits and preferences of school adolescents in Jiangsu Province, China. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1439–1448.
11. J Aranceta , C Perez-Rodrigo , L Ribas & L Serra-Majem (2003) Sociodemographic and lifestyle determinants of food patterns in Spanish children and adolescents: the enKid study. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, Suppl. 1, S40–S44.
12. M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer & S French (2002) Individual and environmental influences on adolescent eating behaviors. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 3 Suppl., S40–S51.
14. K North & P Emmett (2000) Multivariate analysis of diet among three-year-old children and associations with socio-demographic characteristics. The Avon Longitudinal Study of Pregnancy and Childhood (ALSPAC) Study Team. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 73–80.
15. D Hoglund , G Samuelson & A Mark (1998) Food habits in Swedish adolescents in relation to socioeconomic conditions. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 784–789.
16. D Neumark-Sztainer , PJ Hannan , M Story , J Croll & C Perry (2003) Family meal patterns: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 317–322.
17. E Roos , E Lahelma , M Virtanen , R Prattala & P Pietinen (1998) Gender, socioeconomic status and family status as determinants of food behaviour. Soc Sci Med 46, 1519–1529.
19. FB Hu (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
20. PK Newby & KL Tucker (2004) Empirically derived eating patterns using factor or cluster analysis: a review. Nutr Rev 62, 177–203.
21. AK Kant (2004) Dietary patterns and health outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 615–635.
22. A Basilevsky (1994) Statistical Factor Analysis and Related Methods: Theory and Applications. New York/Chichester: John Wiley.
23. K Wu , FB Hu , WC Willett & E Giovannucci (2006) Dietary patterns and risk of prostate cancer in US men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15, 167–171.
24. DS Michaud , HG Skinner , K Wu , F Hu , E Giovannucci , WC Willett , GA Colditz & CS Fuchs (2005) Dietary patterns and pancreatic cancer risk in men and women. J Natl Cancer Inst 97, 518–524.
25. TT Fung , FB Hu , MD Holmes , BA Rosner , DJ Hunter , GA Colditz & WC Willett (2005) Dietary patterns and the risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 116, 116–121.
26. TT Fung , MJ Stampfer , JE Manson , KM Rexrode , WC Willett & FB Hu (2004) Prospective study of major dietary patterns and stroke risk in women. Stroke 35, 2014–2019.
27. R Lowry , H Wechsler , DA Galuska , JE Fulton & L Kann (2002) Television viewing and its associations with overweight, sedentary lifestyle, and insufficient consumption of fruits and vegetables among US high school students: differences by race, ethnicity, and gender. J Sch Health 72, 413–421.
29. C Kennedy (2000) Examining television as an influence on children’s health behaviors. J Pediatr Nurs 15, 272–281.
30. HL Taras , JF Sallis , TL Patterson , PR Nader & JA Nelson (1989) Television’s influence on children’s diet and physical activity. J Dev Behav Pediatr 10, 176–180.
31. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , E Toporoff , JH Himes , MD Resnick & RW Blum (1997) Covariations of eating behaviors with other health-related behaviors among adolescents. J Adolesc Health 20, 450–458.
32. A Sanchez-Villegas , M Delgado-Rodriguez , MA Martinez-Gonzalez & J De Irala-Estevez (2003) Gender, age, socio-demographic and lifestyle factors associated with major dietary patterns in the Spanish Project SUN (Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra). Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 285–292.
33. J De Irala-Estevez , M Groth , L Jahansson , U Oltersdof , R Prattala & MA Martinez-Gonzalez (2000) A systematic review of socio-economic differences in food habits in Europe: consumption of fruit and vegetables. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 706–714.
34. JW McClelland , DP Keenan , J Lewis (2001) Review of evaluation tools used to assess the impact of nutrition education on dietary intake and quality, weight management practices, and physical activity of low-income audiences. J Nutr Educ 33, Suppl. 1, S35–S48.
35. AV Diez-Roux , JF Nieto , L Caulfield , HA Tyroler , RL Watson & M Szklo (1999) Neighbourhood differences in diet: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. J Epidemiol Community Health 53, 55–63.
36. DB Panagiotakos , CH Pitsavos , C Chrysohoou , J Skoumas , M Toutouza , D Blegrinnos , PK Toutouzas & C Stefanadis (2003) The association between educational status and risk factors related to cardiovascular disease in healthy individuals: the ATTICA study. Ann Epidemiol 14, 188–194.
37. I López-Azpiazu , A Sánchez-Villegas , L Johansson , J Petkeviciene , R Prättälä & Martínez-González MA; FAIR-97-3096 Project (2003) Disparities in food habits in Europe: systematic review of educational and occupational differences in the intake of fat. J Hum Nutr Diet 16, 349–364.
38. DB Panagiotakos , C Pitsavos , C Chrysohoou , K Vlismas & Y Skoumas , K Palliou & C Stefanadis (2008) Dietary habits mediate the relationship between socio-economic status and CVD risk factors among healthy adults: the ATTICA study. Public Health Nutr (Epublication ahead of print version).
39. MG Marmot , AM Adelstein & N Robinson (1978) Changing social class distribution of heart disease. BMJ 2, 1109–1112.