This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. LS Freedman , A Schatzkin , D Midthune et al. (2011) Dealing with dietary measurement error in nutritional cohort studies. J Natl Cancer Inst 103, 1086–1092.
4. AE Black & TJ Cole (2001) Biased over- or under-reporting is characteristic of individuals whether over time or by different assessment methods. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 70–80.
8. SJ Nielsen & L Adair (2007) An alternative to dietary data exclusions. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 792–799.
9. TT Huang , SB Roberts , NC Howarth et al. (2005) Effect of screening out implausible energy intake reports on relationships between diet and BMI. Obes Res 13, 1205–1217.
10. MA Mendez , S Wynter , R Wilks et al. (2004) Under- and overreporting of energy is related to obesity, lifestyle factors and food group intakes in Jamaican adults. Public Health Nutr 7, 9–19.
11. NC Howarth , TT Huang , SB Roberts et al. (2005) Dietary fiber and fat are associated with excess weight in young and middle-aged US adults. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 1365–1372.
13. PR Rosenbaum & DB Rubin (1983) The central role of the propensity score in observational studies for causal effects. Biometrika 70, 41–55.
14. MA Mendez , BM Popkin , G Buckland et al. (2011) Alternative methods of accounting for underreporting and overreporting when measuring dietary intake–obesity relations. Am J Epidemiol 173, 448–458.
16. W Ahrens , K Bammann , S de Henauw et al. (2006) Understanding and preventing childhood obesity and related disorders – IDEFICS: a European multilevel epidemiological approach. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16, 302–308.
17. W Ahrens , K Bammann , A Siani et al. (2011) The IDEFICS cohort: design, characteristics and participation in the baseline survey. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl 1, S3–S15.
18. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal et al. (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
19. TJ Cole , KM Flegal , D Nicholls et al. (2007) Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ 335, 194.
20. CA Vereecken , M Covents , W Sichert-Hellert et al. (2008) Development and evaluation of a self-administered computerized 24-h dietary recall method for adolescents in Europe. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, Suppl. 5, S26–S34.
21. CA Vereecken , M Covents , C Matthys et al. (2005) Young adolescents’ nutrition assessment on computer (YANA-C). Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 658–667.
23. TM O'Connor , SJ Yang & TA Nicklas (2006) Beverage intake among preschool children and its effect on weight status. Pediatrics 118, e1010–e1018.
24. S Alinia , O Hels & I Tetens (2009) The potential association between fruit intake and body weight – a review. Obes Rev 10, 639–647.
26. W Sichert-Hellert , M Kersting & G Schoch (1998) Underreporting of energy intake in 1 to 18 year old German children and adolescents. Z Ernahrungswiss 37, 242–251.
28. AE Black (2000) Critical evaluation of energy intake using the Goldberg cut-off for energy intake:basal metabolic rate. A practical guide to its calculation, use and limitations. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1119–1130.
31. TJ Cole , JV Freeman & MA Preece (1998) British 1990 growth reference centiles for weight, height, body mass index and head circumference fitted by maximum penalized likelihood. Stat Med 17, 407–429.
32. TJ Cole , JV Freeman & MA Preece (1995) Body mass index reference curves for the UK, 1990. Arch Dis Child 73, 25–29.
33. BL Heitmann , L Lissner & M Osler (2000) Do we eat less fat, or just report so? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 435–442.
34. BC Tohill , J Seymour , M Serdula et al. (2004) What epidemiologic studies tell us about the relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and body weight. Nutr Rev 62, 365–374.
35. BJ Rolls , A Drewnowski & JH Ledikwe (2005) Changing the energy density of the diet as a strategy for weight management. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 5 Suppl. 1, S98–S103.
36. JS Savage , DC Mitchell , H Smiciklas-Wright et al. (2008) Plausible reports of energy intake may predict body mass index in pre-adolescent girls. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 131–135.
39. LS Freedman , D Midthune , RJ Carroll et al. (2011) Using regression calibration equations that combine self-reported intake and biomarker measures to obtain unbiased estimates and more powerful tests of dietary associations. Am J Epidemiol 174, 1238–1245.
41. MB Livingstone , PJ Robson , AE Black et al. (2003) An evaluation of the sensitivity and specificity of energy expenditure measured by heart rate and the Goldberg cut-off for energy intake: basal metabolic rate for identifying mis-reporting of energy intake by adults and children: a retrospective analysis. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 455–463.
42. V Kipnis , AF Subar , D Midthune et al. (2003) Structure of dietary measurement error: results of the OPEN biomarker study. Am J Epidemiol 158, 14–21.
43. RJ Carroll , D Midthune , AF Subar et al. (2012) Taking advantage of the strengths of 2 different dietary assessment instruments to improve intake estimates for nutritional epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 175, 340–347.
44. EJ de Boer , N Slimani , P van't Veer et al. (2011) The European Food Consumption Validation Project: conclusions and recommendations. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, Suppl.1, S102–S107.
45. KR Westerterp & AH Goris (2002) Validity of the assessment of dietary intake: problems of misreporting. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 5, 489–493.
46. LS Freedman , N Tasevska , V Kipnis et al. (2010) Gains in statistical power from using a dietary biomarker in combination with self-reported intake to strengthen the analysis of a diet–disease association: an example from CAREDS. Am J Epidemiol 172, 836–842.
48. V Kipnis , LS Freedman , CC Brown et al. (1997) Effect of measurement error on energy-adjustment models in nutritional epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 146, 842–855.
49. L Lafay , L Mennen , A Basdevant et al. (2000) Does energy intake underreporting involve all kinds of food or only specific food items? Results from the Fleurbaix Laventie Ville Sante (FLVS) study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1500–1506.
50. SB Nielsen , C Montgomery , LA Kelly et al. (2008) Energy intake variability in free-living young children. Arch Dis Child 93, 971–973.