This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. I Janssen & AG LeBlanc (2010) Systemic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 7, 40.
2. MP Buman , EB Hekler , WL Haskell et al. (2010) Objective light-intensity physical activity associations with rated health in older adults. Am J Epidemiol 172, 1155–1165.
3. R Bize , JA Johnson & RC Plotnikoff (2007) Physical activity level and health-related quality of life in the general adult population: a systematic review. Prev Med 45, 401–415.
4. CK Roberts & RJ Barnard (2005) Effects of exercise and diet on chronic disease. J Appl Physiol 98, 3–30.
5. BK Pedersen & B Saltin (2006) Evidence for prescribing exercise as therapy in chronic disease. Scand J Med Sci Sports 16, Suppl. 1, 3–63.
6. FB Ortega , JR Ruiz , I Labayen et al. (2011) Sleep duration and activity levels in Estonian and Swedish children and adolescents. Eur J Appl Physiol 111, 2615–2623.
7. PR Nader , RH Bradley , RM Houts et al. (2008) Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity from ages 9 to 15 years. JAMA 300, 295–305.
8. AR Ness , SD Leary , C Mattock et al. (2007) Objectively measured physical activity and fat mass in a large cohort of children. PLoS Med 4, e97.
9. CJ Riddoch , C Mattock , K Deere et al. (2007) Objective measurement of levels and patterns of physical activity. Arch Dis Child 92, 963–969.
10. M Hagströmer , SG Trost , M Sjöström et al. (2010) Levels and patterns of objectively assessed physical activity – a comparison between Sweden and the United States. Am J Epidemiol 171, 1055–1064.
11. RR Pate , M Pratt , SN Blair et al. (1995) Physical activity and public health. JAMA 273, 402–407.
12. R Guthold , T Ono , KL Strong et al. (2008) Worldwide variability in physical inactivity: a 51-country survey. Am J Prev Med 34, 486–494.
13. PH Lee , DJ Macfarlane , TH Lam et al. (2011) Validity of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire Short Form (IPAQ-SF): a systematic review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 8, 115.
14. MNM van Poppel , MJM Chinapaw , LB Mokkink et al. (2010) Physical activity questionnaires for adults: a systematic review of measurement properties. Sports Med 40, 565–600.
15. P Ferrari , C Friedenreich & CE Matthews (2007) The role of measurement error in estimating levels of physical activity. Am J Epidemiol 166, 832–840.
16. TM Peters , SC Moore , YB Xiang et al. (2010) Accelerometer-measured physical activity in Chinese adults. Am J Prev Med 38, 583–591.
17. RP Troiano , D Berrigan , KW Dodd et al. (2008) Physical activity in the United States measured by accelerometer. Med Sci Sports Exerc 40, 181–188.
19. KL Monda & BM Popkin (2005) Cluster analysis methods help to clarify the activity-BMI relationship of Chinese youth. Obes Res 13, 1042–1051.
20. LS Rovniak , JF Sallis , BE Saelens et al. (2010) Adults’ physical activity activity patterns across life domains: cluster analysis with replication. Health Psychol 29, 496–505.
21. A Page , AR Cooper , E Stamatakis et al. (2005) Physical activity patterns in nonobese and obese children asessed using minute-by-minute accelerometry. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 1070–1076.
22. XN Yu , WWS Tam , PTK Wong et al. (2012) The Patient Health Questionnaire-9 for measuring depressive symptoms among the general population in Hong Kong. Compre Psychiatry 53, 95–102.
23. JJ Reilly , V Penpraze , J Hislop et al. (2008) Objective measurement of physical activity and sedentary behaviour: review with new data. Arch Dis Child 93, 614–619.
24. MP Rothney , GA Apker , Y Song et al. (2008) Comparing the performance of three generations of ActiGraph accelerometers. J Appl Physiol 105, 1091–1097.
25. SI de Vries , I Bakker , R Hopman-Rock et al. (2006) Clinimetric review of motion sensors in children and adolescents. J Clin Epidemiol 59, 670–680.
26. JJ McClain , KW Dodd , D Berrigan et al. (2010) How many accelerometer days are needed for stable population and individual weekly activity estimates? Med Sci Sports Exerc 42, Suppl. 5, S117–S118.
27. JM Jakicic , EW Gregg , W Knowler et al. (2010) Activity patterns of obese adults with type 2 diabetes in the Look AHEAD Study. Med Sci Sports Exerc 42, 1995–2005.
28. DS Ward , KR Evenson , A Vaughn et al. (2005) Accelerometer use in physical activity: best practices and research recommendations. Med Sci Sports Exerc 37, 11 Suppl., S582–S588.
29. P Freedson , E Melanson & J Sirard (1998) Calibration of the computer science and applications, inc. accelerometer. Med Sci Sports Exerc 30, 777–781.
30. SP Lloyd (1982) Least squares quantization in PCM. IEEE Trans Inform Theory 28, 129–137.
31. RL Thorndike (1953) Who belong in the family? Psychometrika 18, 267–276.
32. HJ Cho , YJ Kim , HJ Jung et al. (2008) OutlierD: an R package for outlier detection using quantile regression on mass spectrometry data. Bioinformatics 24, 882–884.
33. J Cohen (1988) Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
34. JM Tucker , GJ Welk & NK Beyler (2011) Physical activity in US adults: compliance with the physical activity guidelines for Americans. Am J Prev Med 40, 454–461.
35. J Stevens , DM Murray , CD Baggett et al. (2007) Objectively assessed associations between physical activity and body composition in middle-school girls. Am J Epidemiol 166, 1298–1305.
36. L Basterfield , AJ Adamson , JK Frary et al. (2011) Longitudinal study of physical activity and sedentary behavior in children. Pediatrics 127, e24–e30.
37. BS Metcalf , LD Voss , J Hosking et al. (2008) Physical activity at the government-recommended level and obesity-related health outcomes: a longitudinal study (Early Bird 37). Arch Dis Child 93, 772–777.
38. P Gordon-Larsen , J Boone-Heinonen , S Sidney et al. (2009) Active commuting and cardiovascular disease risk. Arch Intern Med 169, 1216–1223.
39. JRB Musselman & PC Rutledge (2010) The incongruous alcohol-activity association: Physical activity and alcohol consumption in college students. Psychol Sport Exerc 11, 609–618.
40. RJ van den Berg-Emons , JB Bussmann & HJ Stam (2010) Accelerometry-based activity spectrum in persons with chronic physical conditions. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91, 1856–1861.