This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. D Demory-Luce , M Morales , T Nicklas et al. (2004) Changes in food group consumption patterns from childhood to young adulthood: The Bogalusa Heart Study. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 1684–1691.
3. R Briefel , M Crepinsek , C Cabili et al. (2009) School food environments and practices affect dietary behaviors of US public school children. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 2 Suppl., S91–S107.
4. C Gonzalez-Suarez , A Worley , K Grimmer-Somers et al. (2009) School-based interventions on childhood obesity: a meta-analysis. Am J Prev Med 37, 418–427.
5. I De Bourdeaudhuij , E Van Cauwenberghe , H Spittaels et al. (2011) School-based interventions promoting both physical activity and healthy eating in Europe: a systematic review within the HOPE project. Obes Rev 12, 205–216.
6. M Hanson & E Chen (2007) Socioeconomic status and health behaviors in adolescence: a review of the literature. J Behav Med 30, 263–285.
8. L Ricciuto & V Tarasuk (2007) An examination of income-related disparities in the nutritional quality of food selections among Canadian households from 1986–2001. Soc Sci Med 64, 186–198.
12. M Richter , I Moor & F van Lenthe (2012) Explaining socioeconomic differences in adolescent self-rated health: the contribution of material, psychosocial and behavioural factors. J Epidemiol Community Health 66, 691–697.
13. P Martikainen , M Bartley & E Lahelma (2002) Psychosocial determinants of health in social epidemiology. Int J Epidemiol 31, 1091–1093.
14. T Baranowski , M Davis , K Resnicow et al. (2000) Gimme 5 fruit, juice, and vegetables for fun and health: outcome evaluation. Health Educ Behav 27, 96–111.
16. T Baranowski , LS Lin , DW Wetter et al. (1997) Theory as mediating variables: why aren’t community interventions working as desired? Ann Epidemiol 7, Suppl., S89–S95.
17. T Baranowski , KW Cullen & J Baranowski (1999) Psychosocial correlates of dietary intake: advancing dietary intervention. Annu Rev Nutr 19, 17–40.
19. A Birnbaum , L Lytle , D Murray et al. (2002) Survey development for assessing correlates of young adolescents’ eating. Am J Health Behav 26, 284–295.
20. RM Hanning , D Royall , JE Toews et al. (2009) Web-based food behaviour questionnaire: validation with grades six to eight students. Can J Diet Pract Res 70, 172–178.
21. R Pawlak & B Malinauskas (2008) Predictors of intention to eat 2.5 cups of vegetables among ninth-grade students attending public high schools in eastern North Carolina. J Nutr Educ Behav 40, 392–398.
26. C Currie , R Elton , J Todd et al. (1997) Indicators of socioeconomic status for adolescents: the WHO Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Survey. Health Educ Res 12, 385–397.
27. J Delva , P O’Malley & L Johnston (2007) Availability of more-healthy and less-healthy food choices in American schools: a national study of grade, racial/ethnic, and socioeconomic differences. Am J Prev Med 33, 4 Suppl., S226–S239.
28. LA Lytle , S Varnell , DM Murray et al. (2003) Predicting adolescents’ intake of fruits and vegetables. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 170–178.
29. EB Roos , S Karvonen & O Rahkonen (2004) Lifestyles, social background and eating patterns of 15-year-old boys and girls in Finland. J Youth Stud 7, 331–349.
30. J Stang , A Kong , M Story et al. (2007) Food and weight-related patterns and behaviors of Hmong adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 936–941.
31. Y Terry-McElrath , P O’Malley , J Delva et al. (2009) The school food environment and student body mass index and food consumption: 2004 to 2007 national data. J Adolesc Health 45, 3 Suppl., S45–S56.
34. MC Gulliford , D Mahabir , C Nunes et al. (2005) Self-administration of a food security scale by adolescents: item functioning, socio-economic position and food intakes. Public Health Nutr 8, 853–860.
35. A McClain , C Chappuis , S Nguyen-Rodriguez et al. (2009) Psychosocial correlates of eating behavior in children and adolescents: a review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 54.
36. DP MacKinnon , AJ Fairchild & MS Fritz (2007) Mediation analysis. Annu Rev Psychol 58, 593–614.
37. A Attorp , JE Scott , AC Yew et al. (2014) Associations between socioeconomic, parental and home environment factors and fruit and vegetable consumption of children in grades five and six in British Columbia, Canada. BMC Public Health 14, 150.
40. B Xie , FD Gilliland , Y-F Li et al. (2003) Effects of ethnicity, family income, and education on dietary intake among adolescents. Prev Med 36, 30–40.
41. MM Fahlman , N McCaughtry , J Martin et al. (2010) Racial and socioeconomic disparities in nutrition behaviors: targeted interventions needed. J Nutr Educ Behav 42, 10–16.
47. CR Browning & KA Cagney (2003) Moving beyond poverty: neighborhood structure, social processes, and health. J Health Soc Behav 44, 552–571.
48. B Galobardes , M Shaw , D Lawlor et al. (2006) Indicators of socioeconomic position (part 1). J Epidemiol Community Health 60, 7–12.
52. N Lien , C Friestad & K-I Klepp (2001) Adolescents’ proxy reports of parents’ socioeconomic status: how valid are they? J Epidemiol Community Health 55, 731–737.
53. LE Aarø , AJ Flisher , S Kaaya et al. (2009) Parental education as an indicator of socioeconomic status: improving quality of data by requiring consistency across measurement occasions. Scand J Public Health 37, 16–27.
54. J Wardle , K Robb & F Johnson (2002) Assessing socioeconomic status in adolescents: the validity of a home affluence scale. J Epidemiol Community Health 56, 595–599.
55. M Wall , N Larson , A Forsyth et al. (2012) Patterns of obesogenic neighborhood features and adolescent weight: a comparison of statistical approaches. Am J Prev Med 42, e65–e75.