This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
J Croll , D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story
et al. (2002) Prevalence and risk and protective factors related to disordered eating behaviors among adolescents: relationship to gender and ethnicity. J Adolesc Health
W Herzog , HC Deter , W Fiehn
et al. (1997) Medical findings and predictors of long-term physical outcome in anorexia nervosa: a prospective, 12-year follow-up study. Psychol Med
4. SB Austin , NJ Ziyadeh , S Vohra et al. (2008) Irregular menses linked to vomiting in a nonclinical sample: findings from the National Eating Disorders Screening Program in high schools. J Adolesc Health 42, 450–457.
M Santos , CS Richards & MK Bleckley (2007) Comorbidity between depression and disordered eating in adolescents. Eating Behav
CL Otis , B Drinkwater , M Johnson
et al. (1997) American College of Sports Medicine position stand. The female athlete triad. Med Sci Sports Exerc
8. SB Austin , AE Field , J Wiecha et al. (2005) The impact of a school-based obesity prevention trial on disordered weight-control behaviors in early adolescent girls. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159, 225–230.
SB Austin , J Spadano-Gasbarro , ML Greaney
et al. (2011) Disordered weight control behaviors in early adolescent boys and girls of color: an under-recognized factor in the epidemic of childhood overweight. J Adolesc Health
10. SB Austin , J Kim , J Wiecha et al. (2007) School-based overweight preventive intervention lowers incidence of disordered weight-control behaviors in early adolescent girls. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161, 865–869.
11. ML Wang , CE Walls , KE Peterson et al. (2013) Dietary and physical activity factors related to eating disorder symptoms among middle school youth. J Sch Health 83, 14–20.
JH Baker , HH Maes , L Lissner
et al. (2009) Genetic risk factors for disordered eating in adolescent males and females. J Abnorm Psychol
PK Keel , TF Heatherton , JL Harnden
et al. (1997) Mothers, fathers and daughters: dieting and disordered eating. Eat Disord
14. M Grigg , J Bowman & S Redman (1996) Disordered eating and unhealthy weight reduction practices among adolescent females. Prev Med 25, 748–756.
JA Fulkerson , MT McGuire , D Neumark-Sztainer
et al. (2002) Weight-related attitudes and behaviors of adolescent boys and girls who are encouraged to diet by their mothers. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord
ME Eisenberg , JM Berge , JA Fulkerson
et al. (2012) Associations between hurtful weight-related comments by family and significant other and the development of disordered eating behaviors in young adults. J Behav Med
17. ME Eisenberg & D Neumark-Sztainer (2010) Friends’ dieting and disordered eating behaviors among adolescents five years later: findings from Project EAT. J Adolesc Health 47, 67–73.
18. ME Eisenberg , D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story et al. (2005) The role of social norms and friends’ influences on unhealthy weight-control behaviors among adolescent girls. Soc Sci Med 60, 1165–1173.
BA Swinburn , G Sacks , KD Hall
et al. (2011) The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments. Lancet
21. JF Sallis & K Glanz (2006) The role of built environments in physical activity, eating, and obesity in childhood. Future Child 16, 89–108.
22. RA Millstein , J Strobel , J Kerr et al. (2011) Home, school, and neighborhood environment factors and youth physical activity. Pediatr Exerc Sci 23, 487–503.
GJ Norman , BA Schmid , JF Sallis
et al. (2005) Psychosocial and environmental correlates of adolescent sedentary behaviors. Pediatrics
24. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford & K Ball (2006) Family food environment and dietary behaviors likely to promote fatness in 5–6 year-old children. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1272–1280.
KJ Campbell , DA Crawford , J Salmon
et al. (2007) Associations between the home food environment and obesity-promoting eating behaviors in adolescence. Obesity (Silver Spring)
M Nichol , I Janssen & W Pickett (2010) Associations between neighborhood safety, availability of recreational facilities, and adolescent physical activity among Canadian youth. J Phys Act Health
D Kim & I Kawachi (2006) Food taxation and pricing strategies to ‘thin out’ the obesity epidemic. Am J Prev Med
30. I Katsounari (2009) Self-esteem, depression and eating disordered attitudes: a cross-cultural comparison between Cypriot and British young women. Eur Eat Disord Rev 17, 455–461.
31. HL Littleton & T Ollendick (2003) Negative body image and disordered eating behavior in children and adolescents: what places youth at risk and how can these problems be prevented? Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 6, 51–66.
DM Ackard , JK Croll & A Kearney-Cooke (2002) Dieting frequency among college females: association with disordered eating, body image, and related psychological problems. J Psychosom Res
33. JA Fulkerson , M Story , A Mellin et al. (2006) Family dinner meal frequency and adolescent development: relationships with developmental assets and high-risk behaviors. J Adolesc Health 39, 337–345.
J Haines , KP Kleinman , SL Rifas-Shiman
et al. (2010) Examination of shared risk and protective factors for overweight and disordered eating among adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med
DR Neumark-Sztainer , MM Wall , JI Haines
et al. (2007) Shared risk and protective factors for overweight and disordered eating in adolescents. Am J Prev Med
AE Field , CA Camargo Jr, CB Taylor
et al. (1999) Relation of peer and media influences to the development of purging behaviors among preadolescent and adolescent girls. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med
AE Field , KM Javaras , P Aneja
et al. (2008) Family, peer, and media predictors of becoming eating disordered. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med
M Tiggemann & AS Pickering (1996) Role of television in adolescent women's body dissatisfaction and drive for thinness. Int J Eat Disord
41. A Liberati , DG Altman , J Tetzlaff et al. (2009) The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration. BMJ 339, b2700.
43. R Rodgers & H Chabrol (2009) Parental attitudes, body image disturbance and disordered eating amongst adolescents and young adults: a review. Eur Eat Disord Rev 17, 137–151.
WM Grove , NC Andreasen , P McDonald-Scott
et al. (1981) Reliability studies of psychiatric diagnosis. Theory and practice. Arch Gen Psychiatry
T Rietveld & R van Hout (1993) Statistical Techniques for the Study of Language and Language Behavior. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
48. DL Franko , D Thompson , SG Affenito et al. (2008) What mediates the relationship between family meals and adolescent health issues. Health Psychol 27, 2 Suppl., S109–S117.
49. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , E Toporoff et al. (1996) Psychosocial predictors of binge eating and purging behaviors among adolescents with and without diabetes mellitus. J Adolesc Health 19, 289–296.
EH Wertheim , J Koerner & SJ Paxton (2001) Longitudinal predictors of restrictive eating and bulimic tendencies in three different age groups of adolescent girls. J Youth Adolesc
D Neumark-Sztainer , PJ Hannan , M Story
et al. (2003) Family meal patterns: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc
JJ Thomas , PK Keel & TF Heatherton (2005) Disordered eating attitudes and behaviors in ballet students: examination of environmental and individual risk factors. Int J Eat Disord
FC de Bruin AP Bakker & RRD Oudejans (2009) Achievement goal theory and disordered eating: disordered eating with goal orientations and motivational climate in female gymnasts and dancers. Psychol Sport Exerc
KL Klump , M McGue & WG Iacono (2000) Age differences in genetic and environmental influences on eating attitudes and behaviors in preadolescent and adolescent female twins. J Abnorm Psychol
KL Klump , M McGue & WG Iacono (2002) Genetic relationships between personality and eating attitudes and behaviors. J Abnorm Psychol
56. KL Klump , SA Burt , M McGue et al. (2007) Changes in genetic and environmental influences on disordered eating across adolescence: a longitudinal twin study. Arch Gen Psychiatry 64, 1409–1415.
A Spanos , KL Klump , SA Burt
et al. (2010) A longitudinal investigation of the relationship between disordered eating attitudes and behaviors and parent–child conflict: a monozygotic twin differences design. J Abnorm Psychol
MM Ferguson CJ , B Winegard & B Winegard (2012) Influence of heritability, neuroticism, maternal warmth and media use on disordered eating behaviors: a prospective analysis of twins. Psychiatr Q
59. SI Maharaj , GM Rodin , MP Olmsted et al. (1998) Eating disturbances, diabetes and the family: an empirical study. J Psychosom Res 44, 479–490.
S Maharaj , G Rodin , J Connolly
et al. (2001) Eating problems and the observed quality of mother–daughter interactions among girls with type 1 diabetes. J Consult Clin Psychol
62. R Benedikt , EH Wertheim & A Love (1998) Eating attitudes and weight-loss attempts in female adolescents and their mothers. J Youth Adolesc 27, 43–57.
AJ Hill & JA Franklin (1998) Mothers, daughters and dieting: investigating the transmission of weight control. Br J Clin Psychol
64. H Keery , ME Eisenberg , K Boutelle et al. (2006) Relationships between maternal and adolescent weight-related behaviors and concerns: the role of perception. J Psychosom Res 61, 105–111.
65. AM Lee & S Lee (1996) Disordered eating and its psychosocial correlates among Chinese adolescent females in Hong Kong. Int J Eat Disord 20, 177–183.
66. JL Mensinger , DZ Bonifazi & J LaRosa (2007) Perceived gender role prescriptions in schools, the superwoman ideal, and disordered eating among adolescent girls. Sex Roles 57, 557–568.
LB Shomaker & W Furman (2009) Interpersonal influences on late adolescent girls’ and boys’ disordered eating. Eat Behav
P Espinoza , E Penelo & RM Raich (2010) Disordered eating behaviors and body image in a longitudinal pilot study of adolescent girls: what happens 2 years later?
KM Pike (1995) Bulimic symptomatology in high school girls. Psychol Women Q
70. E Stice (1998) Modeling of eating pathology and social reinforcement of the thin-ideal predict onset of bulimic symptoms. Behav Res Ther 36, 931–944.
I Borjorquez & C Unikel (2004) Presence of disordered eating among Mexican teenage women from a semi-urban area: its relation to the cultural hypothesis. Eur Eat Disord
JA Griffiths & MP McCabe (2000) The influence of significant others on disordered eating and body dissatisfaction among early adolescent girls. Eur Eat Disord
AC Hanna & MJ Bond (2006) Relationships between family conflict, perceived maternal verbal messages, and daughters’ disturbed eating symptomatology. Appetite
K Harrison (2000) Television viewing, fat stereotyping, body shape standards, and eating disorder symptomatology in grade school children. Commun Res
75. K Harrison (2001) Ourselves, our bodies: thin-ideal medial, self-discrepancies, and eating disorder symptomatology in adolescents. J Soc Clin Psychol 20, 289–323.
76. H Keery , K Boutelle , P van den Berg et al. (2005) The impact of appearance-related teasing by family members. J Adolesc Health 37, 120–127.
78. KA Peterson , SE Paulson & KK Williams (2007) Relations of eating disorder symptomology with perceptions of pressures from mother, peers, and media in adolescent girls and boys. Sex Roles 57, 629–639.
79. RF Rodgers , K Faure & H Chabrol (2009) Gender differences in parental influences on adolescent body dissatisfaction and disordered eating. Sex Roles 61, 837–849.
80. CA Sanderson , JM Wallier & JE Stockdale (2008) Who feels discrepant and how does feeling discrepant matter? Examining the presence and consequences of feeling discrepant from personal and social norms related to thinness in American British high school girls. J Soc Clin Psychol 27, 995–1020.
HK Schutz & SJ Paxton (2007) Friendship quality, body dissatisfaction, dieting and disordered eating in adolescent girls. Br J Clin Psychol
82. M Vincent & MP McCabe (2000) Gender differences among adolescents in family, and peer influences on body dissatisfaction, weight loss, and binge eating behaviors. J Youth Adolesc 29, 205–221.
J Haines & D Neumark-Sztainer (2006) Prevention of obesity and eating disorders: a consideration of shared risk factors. Health Educ Res
HP Libbey , MT Story , DR Neumark-Sztainer
et al. (2008) Teasing, disordered eating behaviors, and psychological morbidities among overweight adolescents. Obesity (Silver Spring)
16, Suppl. 2, S24–S29.
D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , PJ Hannan
et al. (2002) Weight-related concerns and behaviors among overweight and nonoverweight adolescents: implications for preventing weight-related disorders. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med
87. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , M Story et al. (2004) Are family meal patterns associated with disordered eating behaviors among adolescents? J Adolesc Health 35, 350–359.
D Neumark-Sztainer , ME Eisenberg , JA Fulkerson
et al. (2008) Family meals and disordered eating in adolescents: longitudinal findings from Project EAT. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med
89. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , M Story et al. (2009) Five-year longitudinal predictive factors for disordered eating in a population-based sample of overweight adolescents: implications for prevention and treatment. Int J Eat Disord 42, 664–672.
D Neumark-Sztainer , KW Bauer , S Friend
et al. (2010) Family weight talk and dieting: how much do they matter for body dissatisfaction and disordered eating behaviors in adolescent girls?
J Adolesc Health
91. J Utter , D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall et al. (2003) Reading magazine articles about dieting and associated weight control behaviors among adolescents. J Adolesc Health 32, 78–82.
DM Ackard & D Neumark-Sztainer (2002) Date violence and date rape among adolescents: associations with disordered eating behaviors and psychological health. Child Abuse Negl
SB Austin , N Ziyadeh , JA Kahn
et al. (2004) Sexual orientation, weight concerns, and eating-disordered behaviors in adolescent girls and boys. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry
AE Field , CA Camargo Jr, CB Taylor
et al. (2001) Peer, parent, and media influences on the development of weight concerns and frequent dieting among preadolescent and adolescent girls and boys. Pediatrics
E Stice & WS Agras (1998) Predicting onset and cessation of bulimic behaviors during adolescence: a longitudinal grouping analyses. Behav Ther
MP McCabe & LA Ricciardelli (2005) A prospective study of pressures from parents, peers, and the media on extreme weight change behaviors among adolescent boys and girls. Behav Res Ther
J Haines , MW Gillman , S Rifas-Shiman
et al. (2010) Family dinner and disordered eating behaviors in a large cohort of adolescents. Eat Disord
P van den Berg , D Neumark-Sztainer , PJ Hannan
et al. (2007) Is dieting advice from magazines helpful or harmful? Five-year associations with weight-control behaviors and psychological outcomes in adolescents. Pediatrics
100. F Ferreiro , G Seoane & C Senra (2012) Gender-related risk and protective factors for depressive symptoms and disordered eating in adolescence: a 4-year longitudinal study. J Youth Adolesc 41, 607–622.
L Tremblay & M Lariviere (2009) The influence of puberty onset, body mass index, and pressure to be thin on disordered eating behaviors in children and adolescents. Eat Behav
ME Eisenberg , M Wall , JJ Shim
et al. (2012) Associations between friends’ disordered eating and muscle-enhancing behaviors. Soc Sci Med
103. SA French , M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer et al. (1997) Ethnic differences in psychosocial and health behavior correlates of dieting, purging, and binge eating in a population-based sample of adolescent females. Int J Eat Disord 22, 315–322.
M Story , SA French , D Neumark-Sztainer
et al. (1997) Psychosocial and behavioral correlates of dieting and purging in Native American adolescents. Pediatrics
MP Levine , L Smolak & H Hayden (1994) The relation of sociocultural factors to eating attitudes and behaviors among middle school girls. J Early Adoles
106. SJ Paxton , HK Schutz , EH Wertheim et al. (1999) Friendship clique and peer influences on body image concerns, dietary restraint, extreme weight-loss behaviors, and binge eating in adolescent girls. J Abnorm Psychol 108, 255–266.
LA Hautala , J Junnila , H Helenius
et al. (2008) Towards understanding gender differences in disordered eating among adolescents. J Clin Nurs
108. H Fonseca , M Ireland & MD Resnick (2002) Familial correlates of extreme weight control behaviors among adolescents. Int J Eat Disord 32, 441–448.
H Goodwin , E Haycraft & C Meyer (2011) Sociocultural correlates of compulsive exercise: is the environment important in fostering a compulsivity towards exercise among adolescents?
H Fonseca , MG Matos , A Guerra
et al. (2009) Are overweight adolescents at higher risk of engaging in unhealthy weight-control behaviours?
SA French , M Story , B Downes
et al. (1995) Frequent dieting among adolescents: psychosocial and health behavior correlates. Am J Public Health
113. C Hodson , MD Newcomb , TF Locke et al. (2006) Childhood adversity, poly-substance use, and disordered eating in adolescent Latinas: mediated and indirect paths in a community sample. Child Abuse Negl 30, 1017–1036.
D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , NH Falkner
et al. (1998) Disordered eating among adolescents with chronic illness and disability: the role of family and other social factors. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med
D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , PJ Hannan
et al. (2000) Disordered eating among adolescents: associations with sexual/physical abuse and other familial/psychosocial factors. Int J Eat Disord
DF Perkins & T Luster (1999) The relationship between sexual abuse and purging: findings from community-wide surveys of female adolescents. Child Abuse Negl
117. R Kaltiala-Heino , A Rissanen , M Rimpela et al. (1999) Bulimia and bulimic behaviour in middle adolescence: more common than thought? Acta Psychiatr Scand 100, 33–39.
118. J White & E Halliwell (2010) Examination of a sociocultural model of excessive exercise among male and female adolescents. Body Image 7, 227–233.
GX Ayala , L Mickens , P Galindo
et al. (2007) Acculturation and body image perception among Latino youth. Ethn Health
DN Kaluski , BK Natamba , R Goldsmith
et al. (2008) Determinants of disordered eating behaviors among Israeli adolescent girls. Eat Disord
SB Austin , TK Richmond , J Spadano-Gasbarro
et al. (2013) The contribution of school environmental factors to individual and school variation in disordered weight control behaviors in a statewide sample of middle schools. Eat Disord
122. A Rundle , AV Diez Roux , LM Free et al. (2007) The urban built environment and obesity in New York City: a multilevel analysis. Am J Health Promot 21, 326–334.
F Li , P Harmer , BJ Cardinal
et al. (2009) Built environment and 1-year change in weight and waist circumference in middle-aged and older adults: Portland Neighborhood Environment and Health Study. Am J Epidemiol
F Li , P Harmer , BJ Cardinal
et al. (2009) Obesity and the built environment: does the density of neighborhood fast-food outlets matter?
Am J Health Promot
NM Oreskovic , JP Winickoff , KA Kuhlthau
et al. (2009) Obesity and the built environment among Massachusetts children. Clin Pediatr (Phila)
127. JL Pomeranz , LM Taylor & SB Austin (2013) Over-the-counter and out-of-control: legal strategies to protect youths from abusing products for weight control. Am J Public Health 103, 220–225.
K Bissell & P Zhou (2004) Must-See TV or ESPN: entertainment and sports media exposure and body-image distortion in college women. J Commun
M Story , SA French , MD Resnick
et al. (1995) Ethnic/racial and socioeconomic differences in dieting behaviors and body image perceptions in adolescents. Int J Eat Disord
D Neumark-Sztainer , R Butler & H Palti (1996) Personal and socioenvironmental predictors of disordered eating among adolescent females. J Nutr Educ
E Stice , L Mazotti , M Krebs
et al. (1998) Predictors of adolescent dieting behaviors: a longitudinal study. Psychol Addict Behav
R Dixon , V Adair & S O'Connor (1996) Parental influences on the dieting beliefs and behaviors of adolescent females in New Zealand. J Adolesc Health
EH Blodgett Salafia & JL Lemer (2012) Associations between multiple types of stress and disordered eating among girls and boys in middle school. J Child Fam Stud
137. D Neumark-Sztainer , N Falkner , M Story et al. (2002) Weight-teasing among adolescents: correlations with weight status and disordered eating behaviors. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 123–131.
D Neumark-Sztainer , MM Wall , M Story
et al. (2003) Correlates of unhealthy weight-control behaviors among adolescents: implications for prevention programs. Health Psychol
139. C Unikel , A Von Holle , CM Bulik et al. (2012) Disordered eating and suicidal intent: the role of thin ideal internalisation, shame and family criticism. Eur Eat Disord Rev 20, 39–48.
140. B Gerner & PH Wilson (2005) The relationship between friendship factors and adolescent girls’ body image concern, body dissatisfaction, and restrained eating. Int J Eat Disord 37, 313–320.
M Lieberman , L Gauvin , WM Bukowski
et al. (2001) Interpersonal influence and disordered eating behaviors in adolescent girls: the role of peer modeling, social reinforcement, and body-related teasing. Eat Behav
143. CM Shisslak , M Crago , KM McKnight et al. (1998) Potential risk factors associated with weight control behaviors in elementary and middle school girls. J Psychosom Res 44, 301–313.
84. JA Fulkerson , J Strauss , D Neumark-Sztainer et al. (2007) Correlates of psychosocial well-being among overweight adolescents: the role of the family. J Consult Clin Psychol 75, 181–186.
145. SR Thomsen , MM Weber & LB Brown (2001) The relationship between health and fitness magazine reading and eating-disordered weight-loss methods among high school girls. Am J Health Educ 32, 133–138.
146. MP McCabe & LA Ricciardelli (2001) The structure of the Perceived Sociocultural Influences on Body Image and Body Change Questionnaire. Int J Behav Med 8, 19–41.
147. ME Procidano & K Heller (1983) Measures of perceived social support from friends and from family: three validation studies. Am J Community Psychol 11, 1–24.
151. L Taranis , S Touyz & C Meyer (2011) Disordered eating and exercise: development and preliminary validation of the Compulsive Exercise Test (CET). Eur Eat Disord Rev 19, 256–268.
SJ Paxton , EH Wertheim , K Gibbons
et al. (1991) Body image satisfaction, dieting beliefs, and weight loss behaviors in adolescent girls and boys. J Youth Adolesc