This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. T Lobstein & R Jackson-Leach (2007) Child overweight and obesity in the USA: prevalence rates according to IOTF definitions. Int J Pediatr Obes 2, 62–64.
2. JJ Martin , LS Hernandez , MG Gonzalez , CP Mendez , C Rey Galan & SM Guerrero (2008) Trends in childhood and adolescent obesity prevalence in Oviedo (Asturias, Spain) 1992–2006. Acta Paediatr 97, 955–958.
3. PB Juliusson , M Roelants , GE Eide , R Hauspie , PE Waaler & R Bjerknes (2007) Overweight and obesity in Norwegian children: secular trends in weight-for-height and skinfolds. Acta Paediatr 96, 1333–1337.
4. T Lobstein & ML Frelut (2003) Prevalence of overweight among children in Europe. Obes Rev 4, 195–200.
5. K Bibbins-Domingo , P Coxson , MJ Pletcher , J Lightwood & L Goldman (2007) Adolescent overweight and future adult coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 357, 2371–2379.
6. S Li , W Chen , SR Srinivasan & GS Berenson (2004) Childhood blood pressure as a predictor of arterial stiffness in young adults: the Bogalusa Heart Study. Hypertension 43, 541–546.
7. OT Raitakari , M Juonala , M Kahonen (2003) Cardiovascular risk factors in childhood and carotid artery intima-media thickness in adulthood: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. JAMA 290, 2277–2283.
8. C Thomas , E Hypponen & C Power (2008) Obesity and type 2 diabetes risk in midadult life: the role of childhood adversity. Pediatrics 121, e1240–e1249.
10. GE Voukiklaris , A Kafatos & AS Dontas (1996) Changing prevalence of coronary heart disease risk factors and cardiovascular diseases in men of a rural area of Crete from 1960 to 1991. Angiology 47, 43–49.
11. H Kaur , ML Hyder & WS Poston (2003) Childhood overweight: an expanding problem. Treat Endocrinol 2, 375–388.
14. C Pitsavos , DB Panagiotakos , C Chrysohoou , J Skoumas , I Papaioannou , C Stefanadis & PK Toutouzas (2002) The effect of Mediterranean diet on the risk of the development of acute coronary syndromes in hypercholesterolemic people: a case–control study (CARDIO2000). Coron Artery Dis 13, 295–300.
15. AS Ask , S Hernes , I Aarek , G Johannessen & M Haugen (2006) Changes in dietary pattern in 15 year old adolescents following a 4 month dietary intervention with school breakfast – a pilot study. Nutr J 5, 33.
16. TK Harrell , BM Davy , JL Stewart & DS King (2005) Effectiveness of a school-based intervention to increase health knowledge of cardiovascular disease risk factors among rural Mississippi middle school children. South Med J 98, 1173–1180.
18. G Giannakopoulos , D Panagiotakos , C Mihas & Y Tountas (2009) Adolescent smoking and health-related behaviours: interrelations in a Greek school-based sample. Child Care Health Dev 35, 164–170.
22. C Mihas , A Mariolis , Y Manios , A Naska , D Panagiotakos , A Arapaki , A Alevizos , T Mariolis-Sapsakos & Y Tountas (2009) Overweight/obesity and factors associated with body mass index during adolescence: the VYRONAS study. Acta Paediatr 98, 495–500.
24. D Nemet , S Barkan , Y Epstein , O Friedland , G Kowen & A Eliakim (2005) Short- and long-term beneficial effects of a combined dietary–behavioural–physical activity intervention for the treatment of childhood obesity. Pediatrics 115, e443–e449.
25. HJ Walter & EL Wynder (1989) The development, implementation, evaluation, and future directions of a chronic disease prevention program for children: the ‘Know Your Body’ studies. Prev Med 18, 59–71.
27. A Bandura (2001) Social cognitive theory: an agentic perspective. Annu Rev Psychol 52, 1–26.
29. CL Perry , RV Luepker , DM Murray , C Kurth , R Mullis , S Crockett & DR Jacobs Jr (1988) Parent involvement with children’s health promotion: the Minnesota Home Team. Am J Public Health 78, 1156–1160.
30. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
33. JS Harrell , RG McMurray , SA Gansky , SI Bangdiwala & CB Bradley (1999) A public health vs a risk-based intervention to improve cardiovascular health in elementary school children: the Cardiovascular Health in Children Study. Am J Public Health 89, 1529–1535.
35. A Ferro-Luzzi , WP James & A Kafatos (2002) The high-fat Greek diet: a recipe for all? Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 796–809.
36. PD Angelopoulos , HJ Milionis , E Grammatikaki , G Moschonis & Y Manios (2009) Changes in BMI and blood pressure after a school based intervention: The CHILDREN study. Eur J Public Health 19, 319–325.
37. SD Baxter & WO Thompson (2002) Fourth-grade children’s consumption of fruit and vegetable items available as part of school lunches is closely related to preferences. J Nutr Educ Behav 34, 166–171.
38. MA Aberg , N Aberg , J Brisman , R Sundberg , A Winkvist & K Toren (2009) Fish intake of Swedish male adolescents is a predictor of cognitive performance. Acta Paediatr 98, 555–560.
40. Y Manios , J Moschandreas , C Hatzis & A Kafatos (1999) Evaluation of a health and nutrition education program in primary school children of Crete over a three-year period. Prev Med 28, 149–159.
41. RV Luepker , CL Perry , SM McKinlay (1996) Outcomes of a field trial to improve children’s dietary patterns and physical activity. The Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health. CATCH collaborative group. JAMA 275, 768–776.
42. A Kafatos , Y Manios & J Moschandreas (2005) Health and nutrition education in primary schools of Crete: follow-up changes in body mass index and overweight status. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1090–1092.
43. J Higginbotham (1992) Necessities for evaluating behavior change in health promotion/disease prevention programs: knowledge, skill, and attitude. Fam Community Health 15, 41–56.