This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. C Knai , J Pomerleau , K Lock & M McKee (2006) Getting children to eat more fruit and vegetables: a systematic review. Prev Med 42, 85–95.
3. SH Kelder , CL Perry , KI Klepp & LL Lytle (1994) Longitudinal tracking of adolescent smoking, physical activity, and food choice behaviors. Am J Public Health 84, 1121–1126.
4. K Resnicow , M Smith , T Baranowski , J Baranowski , R Vaughan & M Davis (1998) 2-year tracking of children’s fruit and vegetable intake. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 785–789.
5. V Mikkila , L Rasanen , OT Raitakari , P Pietinen & J Viikari (2004) Longitudinal changes in diet from childhood into adulthood with respect to risk of cardiovascular diseases: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1038–1045.
6. M Maynard , D Gunnel , P Emmett , S Frankel & G Davey Smith (2003) Fruit, vegetables and antioxidants in childhood and risk of adult cancer: the Boyd Orr cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health 57, 218–225.
8. PM Guenther , KW Dodd , J Reedy & SM Krebs-Smith (2006) Most Americans eat much less than recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1371–1379.
9. A Margarey , LA Daniels & A Smith (2001) Fruit and vegetable intakes of Australians aged 2–18 years: an evaluation of the 1995 National Nutrition Survey data. Aus N Z J Public Health 25, 155–161.
14. SJ Crockett & LS Sims (1995) Environmental influences on children’s eating. J Nutr Educ 27, 235–249.
15. H Patrick & TA Nicklas (2005) A review of family and social determinants of children’s eating patterns and diet quality. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 83–92.
16. J Shepherd , A Harden , R Rees , G Brunton , J Garcia , S Oliver & A Oakley (2006) Young people and healthy eating: a systematic review of research on barriers and facilitators. Health Educ Res 21, 239–257.
17. M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer & S French (2002) Individual and environmental influences on adolescent eating behaviors. J Am Diet Assoc 102, Suppl. 3, S40–S51.
18. K van der Horst , A Oenema , I Ferreira , W Wendel-Vos , K Giskes , F van Lenthe & J Brug (2007) A systematic review of environmental correlates of obesity-related dietary behaviors in youth. Health Educ Res 22, 203–226.
19. M Rasmussen , R Krolner , KI Klepp , Lytle L, Brug J, Bere E & Due P (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part I: quantitative studies. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Activity 3, 22.
23. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford & KD Hesketh (2007) Australian parents’ views on their 5–6-year-old children’s food choices. Health Promot Int 22, 11–18.
24. MY Kubik , L Lytle & JA Fulkerson (2005) Fruits, vegetables, and football: findings from focus groups with alternative high school students regarding eating and physical activity. J Adolesc Health 36, 494–500.
26. PA Hannon , DJ Bowen , CM Moinpour & DF McLerran (2003) Correlations in perceived food use between the family food preparer and their spouses and children. Appetite 40, 77–83.
27. A Kusano-Tsunoh , H Nakatsuka , H Satoh , Shimizu H, Sato S, Ito I, Fukao A & Hisamichi S (2001) Effects of family-togetherness on the food selection by primary and junior high school students: family-togetherness means better food. Tohoku J Exp Med 194, 121–127.
29. C Befort , H Kaur , N Nollen , Sullivan DK, Nazir N, Choi WS, Hornberger L & Ahluwalia JS (2006) Fruit, vegetable, and fat intake among non-Hispanic black and non-Hispanic white adolescents: associations with home availability and food consumption settings. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 367–373.
30. E Bere & KI Klepp (2005) Changes in accessibility and preferences predict children’s future fruit and vegetable intake. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Activity 2, 15.
31. E Bere & KI Klepp (2004) Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among Norwegian schoolchildren: parental and self-reports. Public Health Nutr 7, 991–998.
33. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford & K Ball (2006) Family food environment and dietary behaviors likely to promote fatness in 5–6 year-old children. Int J Obes 30, 1272–1280.
34. KA Coon , J Goldberg , BL Rogers & KL Tucker (2001) Relationships between use of television during meals and children’s food consumption patterns. Pediatrics 107, E7.
35. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , LM Klesges , Watson K, Sherwood NE, Story M, Zakeri I, Leachman-Slawson D & Pratt C (2004) Anthropometric, parental, and psychosocial correlates of dietary intake of African-American girls. Obes Res 12, (Suppl), 20S–31S.
36. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , E Owens , T Marsh , L Rittenberry & C de Moor (2003) Availability, accessibility, and preferences for fruit, 100% fruit juice, and vegetables influence children’s dietary behavior. Health Educ Behav 30, 615–626.
37. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , L Rittenberry , C Cosart , D Hebert & C de Moor (2001) Child-reported family and peer influences on fruit, juice and vegetable consumption: reliability and validity of measures. Health Educ Res 16, 187–200.
39. GV da Veiga & R Sichieri (2006) Correlation in food intake between parents and adolescents depends on socioeconomic level. Nutr Res 26, 517–523.
40. I De Bourdeaudhuij & P Van Oost (2000) Personal and family determinants of dietary behaviour in adolescents and their parents. Psychol Health 15, 751.
41. I De Bourdeaudhuij , A Yngve , SJ Te Velde , Klepp KI, Rasmussen M, Thorsdottir I, Wolf A & Brug J (2006) Personal, social and environmental correlates of vegetable intake in normal weight and overweight 9 to 13-year old boys. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 37.
42. Z Djuric , WF Cadwell , LK Heilbrun , Venkatramanamoorthy R, Dereski MO, Lan R & Casey RJ (2006) Relationships of psychosocial factors to dietary intakes of preadolescent girls from diverse backgrounds. Matern Child Nutr 2, 79–90.
43. J Edmonds , T Baranowski , J Baranowski , KW Cullen & D Myres (2001) Ecological and socioeconomic correlates of fruit, juice, and vegetable consumption among African-American boys. Prev Med 32, 476–481.
44. EL Gibson , J Wardle & CJ Watts (1998) Fruit and vegetable consumption, nutritional knowledge and beliefs in mothers and children. Appetite 31, 205–228.
46. M Haapalahti , H Mykkanen , S Tikkanen & J Kokkonen (2003) Meal patterns and food use in 10- to 11-year-old Finnish children. Public Health Nutr 6, 365–370.
47. NI Hanson , D Neumark-Sztainer , ME Eisenberg , M Story & M Wall (2005) Associations between parental report of the home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods. Public Health Nutr 8, 77–85.
48. M Hearn , T Baranowski , J Baranowski , C Doyle , M Smith & LS Lin (1998) Environmental influences on dietary behavior among children: availability and accessibility of fruits and vegetables enable consumption. J Health Educ 29, 26–32.
49. D Hoglund , G Samuelson & A Mark (1998) Food habits in Swedish adolescents in relation to socioeconomic conditions. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 784–789.
50. A Johansen , S Rasmussen & M Madsen (2006) Health behaviour among adolescents in Denmark: influence of school class and individual risk factors. Scand J Public Health 34, 32–40.
51. P Kratt , K Reynolds & R Shewchuk (2000) The role of availability as a moderator of family fruit and vegetable consumption. Health Educ Behav 27, 471–482.
52. SP Kremers , J Brug , H de Vries & RC Engels (2003) Parenting style and adolescent fruit consumption. Appetite 41, 43–50.
53. AG Kristjansdottir , I Thorsdottir , I De Bourdeaudhuij , P Due , M Wind & KI Klepp (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable intake among 11-year-old schoolchildren in a country of traditionally low fruit and vegetable consumption. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 41.
54. NI Larson , M Story , ME Eisenberg & D Neumark-Sztainer (2006) Food preparation and purchasing roles among adolescents: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and diet quality. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 211–218.
56. PJ Longbottom , WL Wrieden & CM Pine (2002) Is there a relationship between the food intakes of Scottish 5(1/2)–8(1/2)-year-olds and those of their mothers? J Hum Nutr Diet 15, 271–279.
57. R Lowry , L Kann , JL Collins & LJ Kolbe (1996) The effect of socioeconomic status on chronic disease risk behaviors among US adolescents. JAMA 276, 792–797.
58. LA Lytle , S Varnell , DM Murray , Story M, Perry C, Birnbaum AS & Kubik MY (2003) Predicting adolescents’ intake of fruits and vegetables. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 170–175.
61. DM Matheson , TN Robinson , A Varady & JD Killen (2006) Do Mexican-American mothers’ food-related parenting practices influence their children’s weight and dietary intake? J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1861–1865.
62. TA Melnik , SJ Rhoades , KR Wales , C Cowell & WS Wolfe (1998) Food consumption patterns of elementary schoolchildren in New York City. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 159–164.
63. D Neumark-Sztainer , PJ Hannan , M Story , J Croll & C Perry (2003) Family meal patterns: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 317–322.
64. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , MD Resnick & RW Blum (1996) Correlates of inadequate fruit and vegetable consumption among adolescents. Prev Med 25, 497–505.
65. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , C Perry & M Story (2003) Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among adolescents. Findings from Project EAT. Prev Med 37, 198–208.
66. N Omidvar , M Ghazi-Tabatbaie , S Eghtesadi , G Harrison & S Miinaie (2003) Psychosocial correlates of low fruit and vegetable intake among adolescent boys and girls in Tehran, Iran. Ecol Food Nutr 42, 385–397.
68. EB Roos , T Hirvonen , V Mikkila , S Karvonen & M Rimpela (2001) Household educational level as a determinant of consumption of raw vegetables among male and female adolescents. Prev Med 33, 282–291.
69. Z Shi , N Lien , BN Kumar & G Holmboe-Ottesen (2005) Socio-demographic differences in food habits and preferences of school adolescents in Jiangsu Province, China. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1439–1448.
70. M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer , MD Resnick & RW Blum (1998) Psychosocial factors and health behaviors associated with inadequate fruit and vegetable intake among American-Indian and Alaska-Native adolescents. J Nutr Educ 30, 100–106.
72. CA Vereecken , J Inchley , SV Subramanian , A Hublet & L Maes (2005) The relative influence of individual and contextual socio-economic status on consumption of fruit and soft drinks among adolescents in Europe. Eur J Public Health 15, 224–232.
73. CA Vereecken , L Maes & D De Bacquer (2004) The influence of parental occupation and the pupils’ educational level on lifestyle behaviors among adolescents in Belgium. J Adolesc Health 34, 330–338.
74. TM Videon & CK Manning (2003) Influences on adolescent eating patterns: the importance of family meals. J Adolesc Health 32, 365–373.
75. J Wardle , MJ Jarvis , N Steggles , S Sutton , S Williamson , H Farrimond , M Cartwright & AE Simon (2003) Socioeconomic disparities in cancer-risk behaviors in adolescence: baseline results from the Health and Behaviour in Teenagers Study (HABITS). Prev Med 36, 721–730.
76. M Wind , I de Bourdeaudhuij , SJ Te Velde , C Sandvik , P Due , KI Klepp & J Brug (2006) Correlates of fruit and vegetable consumption among 11-year-old Belgian-Flemish and Dutch schoolchildren. J Nutr Educ Behav 38, 211–221.
77. WS Wolfe & CC Campbell (1993) Food pattern, diet quality, and related characteristics of schoolchildren in New York State. J Am Diet Assoc 93, 1280–1284.
80. DR Woodward , JA Boon , FJ Cumming , PJ Ball , HM Williams & H Hornsby (1996) Adolescents’ reported usage of selected foods in relation to their perceptions and social norms for those foods. Appetite 27, 109–117.
81. B Xie , FD Gilliland , YF Li & HR Rockett (2003) Effects of ethnicity, family income, and education on dietary intake among adolescents. Prev Med 36, 30–40.
82. EM Young & SW Fors (2001) Factors related to the eating habits of students in grades 9–12. J Sch Health 71, 483–488.
83. EM Young , SW Fors & DM Hayes (2004) Associations between perceived parent behaviors and middle school student fruit and vegetable consumption. J Nutr Educ Behav 36, 2–8.
84. MF Zabinski , T Daly , GJ Norman , JW Rupp , KJ Calfas , JF Sallis & K Patrick (2006) Psychosocial correlates of fruit, vegetable, and dietary fat intake among adolescent boys and girls. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 814–821.
85. L Haerens , M Craeynest , B Deforche , L Maes , G Cardon & I De Bourdeaudhuij (2007) The contribution of psychosocial and home environmental factors in explaining eating behaviours in adolescents. Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 51–59.