This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AA Hedley , CL Ogden , CL Johnson , MD Carroll , LR Curtin & KM Flegal (2004) Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999–2002. JAMA 291, 2847–2850.
3. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , RJ Kuczmarski & CL Johnson (1998) Overweight and obesity in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1960–1994. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 22, 39–47.
4. JO Hill , HR Wyatt , GW Reed & JC Peters (2003) Obesity and the environment: where do we go from here? Science 299, 853–855.
6. WL Johnson-Taylor & JE Everhart (2006) Modifiable environmental and behavioral determinants of overweight among children and adolescents: report of a workshop. Obes (Silver Spring) 14, 929–966.
7. JK Binkley , J Eales & M Jekanowski (2000) The relation between dietary change and rising US obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1032–1039.
9. SK Kumanyika (2001) Minisymposium on obesity: overview and some strategic considerations. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 293–308.
11. K Glanz , JF Sallis , BE Saelens & LD Frank (2005) Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures. Am J Health Promot 19, 330–333.
12. SL Booth , JF Sallis , C Ritenbaugh (2001) Environmental and societal factors affect food choice and physical activity: rationale, influences, and leverage points. Nutr Rev 59, S21–S39.
19. KA Kirtland , DE Porter , CL Addy , MJ Neet , JE Williams , PA Sharpe , LJ Neff , CD Kimsey Jr & BE Ainsworth (2003) Environmental measures of physical activity supports: perception versus reality. Am J Prev Med 24, 323–331.
20. DD Reidpath , C Burns , J Garrard , M Mahoney & M Townsend (2002) An ecological study of the relationship between social and environmental determinants of obesity. Health Place 8, 141–145.
21. JP Block , RA Scribner & KB DeSalvo (2004) Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: a geographic analysis. Am J Prev Med 27, 211–217.
22. SC Cummins , L McKay & S MacIntyre (2005) McDonald’s restaurants and neighborhood deprivation in Scotland and England. Am J Prev Med 29, 308–310.
23. K Morland , S Wing , A Diez Roux & C Poole (2002) Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. Am J Prev Med 22, 23–29.
24. LV Moore & AV Diez Roux (2006) Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores. Am J Public Health 96, 325–331.
25. SN Zenk , AJ Schulz , BA Israel , SA James , S Bao & ML Wilson (2005) Neighborhood racial composition, neighborhood poverty, and the spatial accessibility of supermarkets in metropolitan Detroit. Am J Public Health 95, 660–667.
26. LB Lewis , DC Sloane , LM Nascimento , AL Diamant , JJ Guinyard , AK Yancey & G Flynn ; REACH Coalition of the African Americans Building a Legacy of Health Project (2005) African Americans’ access to healthy food options in south Los Angeles restaurants. Am J Public Health 95, 668–673.
27. E Winkler , G Turrell & C Patterson (2005) Does living in a disadvantaged area entail limited opportunities to purchase fresh fruit and vegetables in terms of price, availability, and variety? Findings from the Brisbane Food Study. Health Place 12, 741–748.
28. S Macintyre , L McKay , S Cummins & C Burns (2005) Out-of-home food outlets and area deprivation: case study in Glasgow, UK. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2, 16.
29. J Edmonds , T Baranowski , J Baranowski , KW Cullen & D Myres (2001) Ecological and socioeconomic correlates of fruit, juice, and vegetable consumption among African-American boys. Prev Med 32, 476–481.
30. K Morland , S Wing & A Diez Roux (2002) The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents’ diets: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Am J Public Health 92, 1761–1767.
31. T Pearson , J Russell , MJ Campbell & ME Barker (2005) Do ‘food deserts’ influence fruit and vegetable consumption? – a cross-sectional study. Appetite 45, 195–197.
32. BA Laraia , AM Siega-Riz , JS Kaufman & SJ Jones (2004) Proximity of supermarkets is positively associated with diet quality index for pregnancy. Prev Med 39, 869–875.
33. TK Boehmer , SL Lovegreen , D Haire-Joshu & RC Brownson (2006) What constitutes an obesogenic environment in rural communities? Am J Health Promot 20, 411–421.
35. BA Rabin , TK Boehmer & RC Brownson (2007) Cross-national comparison of environmental and policy correlates of obesity in Europe. Eur J Public Health 17, 53–61.
36. SA French & G Stables (2003) Environmental interventions to promote vegetable and fruit consumption among youth in school settings. Prev Med 37, 593–610.
37. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford & K Ball (2006) Family food environment and dietary behaviors likely to promote fatness in 5–6 year-old children. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1272–1280.
38. HL Burdette & RC Whitaker (2004) Neighborhood playgrounds, fast food restaurants, and crime: relationships to overweight in low-income preschool children. Prev Med 38, 57–63.
39. S Inagami , DA Cohen , BK Finch & SM Asch (2006) You are where you shop: grocery store locations, weight, and neighborhoods. Am J Prev Med 31, 10–17.
41. J Maddock (2004) The relationship between obesity and the prevalence of fast food restaurants: state-level analysis. Am J Health Promot 19, 137–143.
42. K Morland , AV Diez Roux & S Wing (2006) Supermarkets, other food stores, and obesity: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Am J Prev Med 30, 333–339.
43. D Simmons , A McKenzie , S Eaton , N Cox , MA Khan , J Shaw & P Zimmet (2005) Choice and availability of takeaway and restaurant food is not related to the prevalence of adult obesity in rural communities in Australia. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 703–710.
44. R Sturm & A Datar (2005) Body mass index in elementary school children, metropolitan area food prices and food outlet density. Public Health 119, 1059–1068.
47. KM Booth , MM Pinkston & WS Poston (2005) Obesity and the built environment. J Am Diet Assoc 105, Suppl. 1, S110–S117.
50. AV Diez Roux (2001) Investigating neighborhood and area effects on health. Am J Public Health 91, 1783–1789.
51. S Kumanyika & S Grier (2006) Targeting interventions for ethnic minority and low-income populations. Future Child 16, 187–207.