This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1.Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (2001) Executive Summary of The Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, And Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 285, 2486–2497.
2. S Malik , ND Wong , SS Franklin , TV Kamath , GJ L’Italien , JR Pio & GR Williams (2004) Impact of the metabolic syndrome on mortality from coronary heart disease, cardiovascular disease, and all causes in United States adults. Circulation 110, 1245–1250.
3. L Guize , F Thomas , B Pannier , K Bean , B Jego & A Benetos (2007) All-cause mortality associated with specific combinations of the metabolic syndrome according to recent definitions. Diabetes Care 30, 2381–2387.
4. C Lorenzo , K Williams , KJ Hunt & SM Haffner (2007) The National Cholesterol Education Program – Adult Treatment Panel III, International Diabetes Federation, and World Health Organization definitions of the metabolic syndrome as predictors of incident cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Diabetes Care 30, 8–13.
5. AS Gami , BJ Witt , DE Howard , PJ Erwin , LA Gami , VK Somers & VM Montori (2007) Metabolic syndrome and risk of incident cardiovascular events and death: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. J Am Coll Cardiol 49, 403–414.
6. T Pischon , H Boeing , K Hoffmann (2008) General and abdominal adiposity and risk of death in Europe. N Engl J Med 359, 2105–2120.
7. CM Schooling , GN Thomas , GM Leung , SY Ho , ED Janus & TH Lam (2007) Is height associated with cardiovascular risk in Chinese adults? Epidemiology 18, 274–278.
8. P McCarron , M Okasha , J McEwen & GD Smith (2002) Height in young adulthood and risk of death from cardiorespiratory disease: a prospective study of male former students of Glasgow University, Scotland. Am J Epidemiol 155, 683–687.
10. CM Lee , RR Huxley , RP Wildman & M Woodward (2008) Indices of abdominal obesity are better discriminators of cardiovascular risk factors than BMI: a meta-analysis. J Clin Epidemiol 61, 646–653.
11. W Aekplakorn , V Kosulwat & P Suriyawongpaisal (2006) Obesity indices and cardiovascular risk factors in Thai adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1782–1790.
12. SD Hsieh & T Muto (2005) The superiority of waist-to-height ratio as an anthropometric index to evaluate clustering of coronary risk factors among non-obese men and women. Prev Med 40, 216–220.
13. SD Hsieh & T Muto (2006) Metabolic syndrome in Japanese men and women with special reference to the anthropometric criteria for the assessment of obesity: proposal to use the waist-to-height ratio. Prev Med 42, 135–139.
14. HJ Schneider , H Glaesmer , J Klotsche , S Bohler , H Lehnert , AM Zeiher , W Marz , D Pittrow , GK Stalla & HU Wittchen (2007) Accuracy of anthropometric indicators of obesity to predict cardiovascular risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92, 589–594.
15. M Ashwell & S Gibson (2009) Waist to height ratio is a simple and effective obesity screening tool for cardiovascular risk factors: analysis of data from the British National Diet and Nutrition Survey of adults aged 19–64 years. Obesity Facts 2, 97–103.
16. WY Lin , LT Lee , CY Chen , H Lo , HH Hsia , IL Liu , RS Lin , WY Shau & KC Huang (2002) Optimal cut-off values for obesity: using simple anthropometric indices to predict cardiovascular risk factors in Taiwan. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 1232–1238.
18. FD Fuchs , M Gus , LB Moreira , RS Moraes , M Wiehe , GM Pereira & SC Fuchs (2005) Anthropometric indices and the incidence of hypertension: a comparative analysis. Obes Res 13, 1515–1517.
20. DR Matthews , JP Hosker , AS Rudenski , BA Naylor , DF Treacher & RC Turner (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–419.
21. AV Chobanian , GL Bakris , HR Black (2003) The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA 289, 2560–2572.
22.Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus (2003) Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 26, Suppl. 1, S5–S20.
23. SM Grundy , JI Cleeman , SR Daniels (2005) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Circulation 112, 2735–2752.
24. ER DeLong , DM DeLong & DL Clarke-Pearson (1988) Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach. Biometrics 44, 837–845.
25. WJ Youden (1950) Index for rating diagnostic tests. Cancer 3, 32–35.
26. NJ Perkins & EF Schisterman (2006) The inconsistency of ‘optimal’ cutpoints obtained using two criteria based on the receiver operating characteristic curve. Am J Epidemiol 163, 670–675.
28. M Ashwell & SD Hsieh (2005) Six reasons why the waist-to-height ratio is a rapid and effective global indicator for health risks of obesity and how its use could simplify the international public health message on obesity. Int J Food Sci Nutr 56, 303–307.
29. W Aekplakorn , V Pakpeankitwatana , CM Lee , M Woodward , F Barzi , S Yamwong , N Unkurapinun & P Sritara (2007) Abdominal obesity and coronary heart disease in Thai men. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 1036–1042.
30. T Shimajiri , M Imagawa , M Kokawa , T Konami , H Hara , I Kyoku , E Sone , M Ishigame & H Kikuoka (2008) Revised optimal cut-off point of waist circumference for the diagnosis of metabolic syndrome in Japanese women and the influence of height. J Atheroscler Thromb 15, 94–99.
32. P Mirmiran , A Esmaillzadeh & F Azizi (2004) Detection of cardiovascular risk factors by anthropometric measures in Tehranian adults: receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve analysis. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1110–1118.
33. AA Mansour & MI Al-Jazairi (2007) Cut-off values for anthropometric variables that confer increased risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension in Iraq. Arch Med Res 38, 253–258.
34. F Hadaegh , A Zabetian , H Harati & F Azizi (2006) Waist/height ratio as a better predictor of type 2 diabetes compared to body mass index in Tehranian adult men – a 3·6-year prospective study. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 114, 310–315.
35. RP Gelber , JM Gaziano , EJ Orav , JE Manson , JE Buring & T Kurth (2008) Measures of obesity and cardiovascular risk among men and women. J Am Coll Cardiol 52, 605–615.
36. AA Mansour & MI Al-Jazairi (2007) Predictors of incident diabetes mellitus in Basrah, Iraq. Ann Nutr Metab 51, 277–280.