This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. A Gupta , G Nadkarni , WT Yang et al. (2011) Early mortality in adults initiating antiretroviral therapy (ART) in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC): a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 6, e28691.
4. JS Stringer , I Zulu , J Levy et al. (2006) Rapid scale-up of antiretroviral therapy at primary care sites in Zambia: feasibility and early outcomes. JAMA 296, 782–793.
7. U Suttmann , J Ockenga , O Selberg et al. (1995) Incidence and prognostic value of malnutrition and wasting in human immunodeficiency virus-infected outpatients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 8, 239–246.
8. DA Wheeler , CL Gibert , CA Launer et al. (1998) Weight loss as a predictor of survival and disease progression in HIV infection. Terry Beirn Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 18, 80–85.
9. DP Kotler , K Rosenbaum , J Wang et al. (1999) Studies of body composition and fat distribution in HIV-infected and control subjects. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 20, 228–237.
10. JR Koethe , A Lukusa , MJ Giganti et al. (2010) Association between weight gain and clinical outcomes among malnourished adults initiating antiretroviral therapy in Lusaka, Zambia. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53, 507–513.
11. SD Lawn , AD Harries , X Anglaret et al. (2008) Early mortality among adults accessing antiretroviral treatment programmes in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 22, 1897–1908.
12. D Jerene , A Endale , Y Hailu et al. (2006) Predictors of early death in a cohort of Ethiopian patients treated with HAART. BMC Infect Dis 6, 136.
13. A Johannessen , E Naman , BJ Ngowi et al. (2008) Predictors of mortality in HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in a rural hospital in Tanzania. BMC Infect Dis 8, 52.
14. R Zachariah , M Fitzgerald , M Massaquoi et al. (2006) Risk factors for high early mortality in patients on antiretroviral treatment in a rural district of Malawi. AIDS 20, 2355–2360.
15. DC Macallan , C Noble , C Baldwin et al. (1995) Energy expenditure and wasting in human immunodeficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med 333, 83–88.
17. K Wiig & C Smith (2007) An exploratory investigation of dietary intake and weight in human immunodeficiency virus-seropositive individuals in Accra, Ghana. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1008–1013.
18. AA Addo , GS Marquis , AA Lartey et al. (2011) Food insecurity and perceived stress but not HIV infection are independently associated with lower energy intakes among lactating Ghanaian women. Matern Child Nutr 7, 80–91.
19. JT Au , K Kayitenkore , E Shutes et al. (2006) Access to adequate nutrition is a major potential obstacle to antiretroviral adherence among HIV-infected individuals in Rwanda. AIDS 20, 2116–2118.
20. SD Weiser , DM Tuller , EA Frongillo et al. (2010) Food insecurity as a barrier to sustained antiretroviral therapy adherence in Uganda. PLoS One 5, e10340.
21. AP Hardon , D Akurut , C Comoro et al. (2007) Hunger, waiting time and transport costs: time to confront challenges to ART adherence in Africa. AIDS Care 19, 658–665.
22. LK Murray , K Semrau , E McCurley et al. (2009) Barriers to acceptance and adherence of antiretroviral therapy in urban Zambian women: a qualitative study. AIDS Care 21, 78–86.
23. DC Heimburger , JR Koethe , C Nyirenda et al. (2010) Serum phosphate predicts early mortality in adults starting antiretroviral therapy in Lusaka, Zambia: a prospective cohort study. PLoS One 5, e10687.
24. NM Laird & JH Ware (1982) Random-effects models for longitudinal data. Biometrics 38, 963–974.
25. WS Cleveland (1979) Robust locally weighted regression and smoothing scatterplots. J the Am Stat Assoc 74, 829–836.
26. RA Cantrell , M Sinkala , K Megazinni et al. (2008) A pilot study of food supplementation to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy among food-insecure adults in Lusaka, Zambia. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49, 190–195.
27. MJ Ndekha , JJ van Oosterhout , EE Zijlstra et al. (2009) Supplementary feeding with either ready-to-use fortified spread or corn–soy blend in wasted adults starting antiretroviral therapy in Malawi: randomised, investigator blinded, controlled trial. BMJ 338, 1867.
28. R Rawat , S Kadiyala & PE McNamara (2010) The impact of food assistance on weight gain and disease progression among HIV-infected individuals accessing AIDS care and treatment services in Uganda. BMC Public Health 10, 316.
29. JR Koethe , BH Chi , KM Megazzini et al. (2009) Macronutrient supplementation for malnourished HIV-infected adults: a review of the evidence in resource-adequate and resource-constrained settings. Clin Infect Dis 49, 787–798.
31. S Rosen , MP Fox & CJ Gill (2007) Patient retention in antiretroviral therapy programs in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. PLoS Med 4, e298.
32. M McGuire , T Munyenyembe , E Szumilin et al. (2010) Vital status of pre-ART and ART patients defaulting from care in rural Malawi. Trop Med Int Health 15, Suppl. 1, 55–62.
33. EH Geng , DR Bangsberg , N Musinguzi et al. (2010) Understanding reasons for and outcomes of patients lost to follow-up in antiretroviral therapy programs in Africa through a sampling-based approach. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53, 405–411.