This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. RB Levy-Costa , R Sichieri , NS Pontes & CA Monteiro (2005) Household food availability in Brazil: distribution and trends (1974–2003). Rev Saude Publica 39, 530–540.
4. JF Guthrie , BH Lin & E Frazao (2002) Role of food prepared away from home in the American diet, 1977–78 versus 1994–96: changes and consequences. J Nutr Educ Behav 34, 140–150.
5. JK Binkley , J Eales & M Jekanowski (2000) The relation between dietary change and rising US obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1032–1039.
8. MA McCrory , PJ Fuss , NP Hays , AG Vinken , AS Greenberg & SB Roberts (1999) Overeating in America: association between restaurant food consumption and body fatness in healthy adult men and women ages 19 to 80. Obes Res 7, 564–571.
9. SA French , L Harnack & RW Jeffery (2000) Fast food restaurant use among women in the Pound of Prevention study: dietary, behavioral and demographic correlates. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1353–1359.
12. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2004) Eating out in America, 1987–2000: trends and nutritional correlates. Prev Med 38, 243–249.
17. JD Douketis , G Paradis , H Keller & C Martineau (2005) Canadian guidelines for body weight classification in adults: application in clinical practice to screen for overweight and obesity and to assess disease risk. CMAJ 172, 995–998.
19. MB Schulze , JE Manson , DS Ludwig , GA Colditz , MJ Stampfer , WC Willett & FB Hu (2004) Sugar-sweetened beverages, weight gain, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in young and middle-aged women. JAMA 292, 927–934.
21. EM Taveras , CS Berkey , SL Rifas-Shiman , DS Ludwig , HR Rockett , AE Field , GA Colditz & MW Gillman (2005) Association of consumption of fried food away from home with body mass index and diet quality in older children and adolescents. Pediatrics 116, 518–524.
23. BM Popkin & SJ Nielsen (2003) The sweetening of the world’s diet. Obes Res 11, 1325–1332.
25. R Sichieri (2002) Dietary patterns and their associations with obesity in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro. Obes Res 10, 42–48.
26. LH Clemens , DL Slawson & RC Klesges (1999) The effect of eating out on quality of diet in premenopausal women. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 442–444.
27. AC Bell & BA Swinburn (2004) What are the key food groups to target for preventing obesity and improving nutrition in schools? Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 258–263.
28. SJ Nielsen , AM Siega-Riz & BM Popkin (2002) Trends in food locations and sources among adolescents and young adults. Prev Med 35, 107–113.
29. JM Kearney , KF Hulshof & MJ Gibney (2001) Eating patterns – temporal distribution, converging and diverging foods, meals eaten inside and outside of the home – implications for developing FBDG. Public Health Nutr 4, 693–698.
30. SJ Nielsen & BM Popkin (2003) Patterns and trends in food portion sizes, 1977–1998. JAMA 289, 450–453.
31. RW Jeffery , S Rydell , CL Dunn , LJ Harnack , AS Levine , PR Pentel , JE Baxter & EM Walsh (2007) Effects of portion size on chronic energy intake. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 27.
32. CA Monteiro , WL Conde & BM Popkin (2007) Income-specific trends in obesity in Brazil: 1975–2003. Am J Public Health 97, 1808–1812.
33. SA Bowman & BT Vinyard (2004) Fast food consumption of US adults: impact on energy and nutrient intakes and overweight status. J Am Coll Nutr 23, 163–168.
35. JL Weber , PM Reid , KA Greaves , JP DeLany , VA Stanford , SB Going , WH Howell & LB Houtkooper (2001) Validity of self-reported energy intake in lean and obese young women, using two nutrient databases, compared with total energy expenditure assessed by doubly labeled water. Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 940–950.
36. FB Scagliusi , VO Polacow , GG Artioli , FB Benatti & AH Lancha Jr (2003) Selective underreporting of energy intake in women: magnitude, determinants, and effect of training. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1306–1313.
37. P Monsivais & A Drewnowski (2007) The rising cost of low-energy-density foods. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 2071–2076.
38. JO Hill , HR Wyatt , GW Reed & JC Peters (2003) Obesity and the environment: where do we go from here? Science 299, 853–855.