This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
5. AM Hamelin , M Beaudry & JP Habicht (2002) Characterization of household food insecurity in Quebec: food and feelings. Soc Sci Med 54, 119–132.
6. T Phillips & D Taylor (1990) Optimal control of food insecurity: a conceptual framework. Am J Agric Econ 72, 1304–1310.
9. K Alaimo , RR Briefel , E Frongillo (1998) Food insufficiency exists in the United States: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). Am J Public Health 88, 419–426.
10. J Bartfield & R Dunifon (2006) State-level predictors of food insecurity among households with children. J Policy Anal Manage 25, 921–942.
12. N Chavez , S Telleen , Y Ok (2007) Food insufficiency in urban Latino families. J Immigr Minor Health 9, 197–204.
15. C Cutler-Triggs , G Fryer , T Miyoshi (2008) Increased rates and severity of child and adult food insecurity in households with adult smokers. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162, 1056–1062.
19. M De Marco & S Thornburn (2008) The association between sociodemographic factors, participation in assistance programs, and food insecurity among Oregon residents. J Hunger Environ Nutr 3, 36–50.
21. KL Radimer , R Allsopp , PW Harvey (1997) Food insufficiency in Queensland. Aust N Z J Public Health 21, 303–310.
22. RS Tingay , CJ Tan , NCW Tan (2003) Food insecurity and low income in an English inner city. J Public Health Med 25, 156–159.
25. LL Kaiser , H Melgar-Quionez , MS Townsend (2003) Food insecurity and food supplies in Latino households with young children. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 148–153.
26. K Siefert , CM Heflin , ME Corcoran (2001) Food insufficiency and the physical and mental health of low-income women. Women Health 32, 159–177.
27. K Siefert , CM Heflin , ME Corcoran (2004) Food insufficiency and physical and mental health in a longitudinal survey of welfare recipients. J Health Soc Behav 45, 171–186.
28. AM Pheley , DH Holben , AS Graham (2002) Food security and perceptions of health status: a preliminary study in rural Appalachia. J Rural Health 18, 447–454.
29. JL Walker , DH Holben , ML Kropf (2007) Household food insecurity is inversely associated with social capital and health in females from special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children households in Appalachian Ohio. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1989–1993.
30. M Weigel , R Armijos , Y Posada Hall (2007) The household food insecurity and health outcomes of US–Mexico border migrant and seasonal farmworkers. J Immigr Minor Health 9, 157–169.
31. FA Tayie & CA Zizza (2009) Food insecurity and dyslipidemia among adults in the United States. Prev Med 48, 480–485.
34. P Casey , S Goolsby , C Berkowitz (2004) Maternal depression, changing public assistance, food security and child health status. Pediatrics 113, 298–304.
35. CM Heflin , K Siefert & DR Williams (2005) Food insufficiency and women's mental health: findings from a 3-year panel of welfare recipients. Soc Sci Med 61, 1971–1982.
36. RC Whitaker , SM Phillips & SM Orzol (2006) Food insecurity and the risks of depression and anxiety in mothers and behavior problems in their preschool-aged children. Pediatrics 118, e859–e868.
37. E Fuller-Thomson & J Nimigon (2008) Factors associated with depression among individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome: findings from a nationally representative survey. Fam Pract 25, 414–422.
41. J Bhattacharya , J Currie & S Haider (2004) Poverty, food insecurity, and nutritional outcomes in children and adults. J Health Econ 23, 839–862.
43. HK Seligman , AB Bindman , E Vittinghoff (2007) Food insecurity is associated with diabetes mellitus: results from the National Health Examination and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999–2002. J Gen Intern Med 22, 1018–1023.
45. LM Scheier (2005) What is the hunger–obesity paradox? J Am Diet Assoc 105, 883–886.
46. A Drewnowski (2004) Obesity and the food environment: dietary energy density and diet costs. Am J Prev Med 27, 3 Suppl., 154–162.
48. SA Tanumihardo , C Anderson , M Kaufer-Horwitz (2007) Poverty, obesity, and malnutrition: an international perspective recognizing the paradox. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1966–1972.
49. R Wilkinson (1997) Socioeconomic determinants of health: health inequalities: relative or absolute material standards? BMJ 314, 591–595.
52. JB Temple (2006) Food insecurity among older Australians: prevalence, correlates and well-being. Australas J Ageing 25, 158–163.
55. DP Keenan , C Olson , JC Hersey (2001) Measures of food insecurity/security. J Nutr Educ 33, Suppl. 1, S49–S58.
56. J Prochaska (2008) Multiple health behaviour research represents the future of preventative medicine. Prev Med 46, 281–285.
59. D Dillman (1999) The design and administration of mail surveys. Ann Rev Sociol 17, 225–249.
64. MB Kushel , R Gupta , L Gee (2005) Housing instability and food insecurity as barriers to health care among low-income Americans. J Gen Intern Med 21, 71–77.
65. K Nelson , W Cunningham , R Anderson (2001) Is food insufficiency associated with health status and health care utilization among adults with diabetes? J Gen Intern Med 16, 404–411.
68. SJ Jones & EA Frongillo (2007) Food insecurity and subsequent weight gain in women. Public Health Nutr 10, 145–151.
69. BA Laraia , AM Siega-Riz & KR Evenson (2004) Self-reported overweight and obesity are not associated with concern about enough food among adults in New York and Louisiana. Prev Med 38, 175–181.
72. L McLaren (2007) Socioeconomic status and obesity. Epidemiol Rev 29, 29–48.
73. M Nyholm , B Gullberg , J Merlo (2007) The validity of obesity based on self-reported weight and height: implications for population studies. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 197–206.
74. JL Engstrom , S Paterson , A Doherty (2003) Accuracy of self-reported height and weight in women: an integrative review of the literature. J Midwifery Womens Health 48, 338–345.