1. Patch, C, Tapsell, L & Williams, P (2004) Dietetics and functional foods. Nutr Diet 61, 21–29.
2. Sloan, E (2006) Top 10 functional food trends. Food Technol 60, issue 4, 22–40.
3. Scrinis, G (2007) From techno-corporate food to alternative agri-food movements. Local Global 4, 112–140.
4. American Dietetic Association (2004) Functional foods: Position of the American Dietetic Association. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 814–826.
5. Diplock, AT, Aggett, PJ, Ashwell, M, Bornet, F, Fern, EB & Roberfroid, MB (1999) Scientific concepts of functional foods in Europe: Consensus document. Br J Nutr 81, Suppl. 1, S1–S27.
6. Clydesdale, F (2004) Functional foods: opportunities and challenges. Food Technol 58, issue 12, 35–40.
7. Allen, JL, Abbott, PJ, Campion, SL, Lewis, JL & Healy, MJ (2005) Functional foods: Australia/New Zealand. In Regulation of Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals: A Global Perspective, pp. 321–335. [CM Hasler, editor]. Oxford: Blackwell.
8. National Centre of Excellence in Functional Foods (2005) Functional Foods for the Australian Industry: Definitions and Opportunities. Wollongong: NCEFF.
9. Heasman, M & Mellentin, J (2001) The Functional Foods Revolution: Healthy People, Healthy Profits? London: Earthscan.
10. Holm, L (2003) Food, health policies and ethics: lay perspectives on functional foods. J Agric Environ Ethics 16, 531–544.
11. Jacobs, DR & Murtaugh, MA (2000) It’s more than an apple a day. Am J Clin Nutr 72, 899–900.
12. Nestle, M (2002) Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
13. Katan, M & De Roos, N (2004) Promises and problems of functional foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 44, 369–377.
14. United States General Accounting Office (2000) Improvements Needed in Overseeing the Safety of Dietary Supplements and ‘Functional Foods’. Report to Congressional Committees, July.
15. Scrinis, G (2002) Sorry Marge. Meanjin 61, issue 4, 108–116.
16. Scrinis, G (2008) On the ideology of nutritionism. Gastronomica 8, issue 1, 39–48.
17. Lehenkari, J (2003) On the borderline of food and drug: constructing credibility and markets for a functional food product. Science as Culture 12, 499–525.
18. Lawrence, M & Germov, J (2004) Future food: the politics of functional foods and health claims. In A Sociology of Food and Nutrition: The Social Appetite, 2nd ed., pp. 119–147. [J Germov and L Williams, editors]. Melbourne: Oxford University Press.