This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AP Smith (1998) Breakfast and mental health. Int J Food Sci Nutr 49, 397–402.
2. AP Smith (2003) Breakfast cereal consumption and subjective reports of health by young adults. Nutr Neurosci 6, 59–61.
5. GC Rampersaud , MA Pereira , BL Girard , J Adams & JD Metzl (2005) Breakfast habits, nutritional status, body weight, and academic performance in children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 743–760.
6. L Lytle , S Seifert , J Greenstein & P McGovern (2000) How do children’s eating patterns and food choices change over time? Results from a cohort study. Am J Health Promot 14, 222–228.
7. TA Nicklas , W Bao , LS Webber & GS Berenson (1993) Breakfast consumption affects adequacy of total daily intake in children. J Am Diet Assoc 93, 886–891.
8. JM Kerver , EJ Yang , S Obayashi , L Bianchi & WO Song (2006) Meal and snack patterns are associated with dietary intake of energy and nutrients in US adults. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 46–53.
10. KA Wesnes , C Pincock , D Richardson , G Helm & S Hails (2003) Breakfast reduces declines in attention and memory over the morning in schoolchildren. Appetite 41, 329–331.
11. D Benton , R Griffiths & J Haller (1997) Thiamine supplementation mood and cognitive functioning. Psychopharmacology 129, 66–71.
14. RC Kessler , P Berglund , O Demler , R Jin & EE Walters (2005) Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 62, 593–602.
15. JP Newnham , SF Evans , CA Michael , FJ Stanley & LI Landau (1993) Effects of frequent ultrasound during pregnancy: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 342, 887–891.
16. P Crawford , E Obarzanek & J Morrison (1994) Comparative advantage of 3-day food records over 24-hour recall and 5-day food frequency validated by observation of 9- and 10-year-old girls. J Am Diet Assoc 94, 626–630.
17. KG Di Candilo , WH Oddy , M Miller , N Sloan , GE Kendall & NH de Klerk (2007) Follow-up phone-calls increase nutrient intake estimated by three-day food diaries in 13 year old participants of the Raine study. Nutr Diet 64, 165–171.
22. EM Warnick , MB Bracken & S Kasl (2008) Screening efficiency of the Child Behavior Checklist and Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: a systematic review. Child Adolesc Ment Health 13, 140–147.
25. TJ Cole , KM Flegal , D Nicholls & AA Jackson (2007) Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ 335, 194–201.
26. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
27. W Bor , JM Najman , MJ Andersen , M O’Callaghan , GM Williams & BC Behrens (1997) The relationship between low family income and psychological disturbance in young children: an Australian longitudinal study. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 31, 664–675.
29. JM Najman , BC Behrens , M Andersen , W Bor , M O’Callaghan & GM Williams (1997) Impact of family type and family quality on child behavior problems: a longitudinal study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 36, 1357–1365.
30. NB Epstein , LM Baldwin & DS Bishop (1983) The McMaster Family Assessment Device. J Marital Fam Ther 9, 171–180.
31. J Byles , C Byrne , MH Boyle & DR Offord (1988) Ontario Child Health Study: reliability and validity of the General Functioning subscale of the McMaster Family Assessment Device. Fam Process 27, 97–104.
32. SA Paluska & TL Schwenk (2000) Physical activity and mental health: current concepts. Sports Med 29, 167–180.
34. TE Rohan , SJ Record & MG Cook (1987) Repeatability of estimates of nutrient and energy intake: the quantitative food frequency approach. Nutr Res 7, 125–137.
35. PS Haines , AM Siega-Riz & BM Popkin (1999) The diet quality index revised: a measurement instrument for populations. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 697–704.
36. J Aranceta , L Serra-Majem , L Ribas & C Pérez-Rodrigo (2001) Breakfast consumption in Spanish children and young people. Public Health Nutr 4, 1439–1444.
38. D Benton , V Brett & PF Brain (1987) Glucose improves attention and reaction to frustration in children. Biol Psychol 24, 95–100.
39. DH Fishbein & SE Pease (1994) Diet, nutrition, and aggression. J Offender Rehab 21, 117–144.
40. BJ Kaplan , CJ Field , SG Crawford & JSA Simpson (2007) Vitamins, minerals, and mood. Psychol Bull 133, 747–760.
41. A Blokland (1995) Acetylcholine: a neurotransmitter for learning and memory? Brain Res Rev 21, 285–300.
42. P Hartvig , KJ Lindner , P Bjurling , B Långström & J Tedroff (1995) Pyridoxine effect on synthesis rate of serotonin in the monkey brain measured with positron emission tomography. J Neural Transm 102, 91–97.
43. D Benton , J Haller & J Fordy (1995) Vitamin supplementation for 1 year improves mood. Neuropsychobiology 32, 98–105.
45. BR Hutto (1997) Folate and cobalamin in psychiatric illness. Compr Psychiatry 38, 305–314.
46. MM Jimenez Del Rio , CC Velez Pardo , JJ Pinxteren , WW De Potter , GG Ebinger & GG Vauquelin (1993) Binding of serotonin and dopamine to ‘serotonin binding proteins’ in bovine frontal cortex: evidence for iron-induced oxidative mechanisms. Eur J Pharmacol 247, 11–21.
47. H Tanaka , K Taira , M Arakawa , A Masuda , Y Yamamoto , Y Komoda , H Kadegaru & S Shirakawa (2002) An examination of sleep health, lifestyle and mental health in junior high school students. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 56, 235–236.
48. A Smith , C Bazzoni , J Beale , J Elliott-Smith & M Tiley (2001) High fibre breakfast cereals reduce fatigue. Appetite 37, 249–250.
49. D Shahar , I Shai , H Vardi , A Shahar & D Fraser (2005) Diet and eating habits in high and low socioeconomic groups. Nutrition 21, 559–566.
50. L Bond , JW Toumbourou , L Thomas , RF Catalano & G Patton (2005) Individual, family, school, and community risk and protective factors for depressive symptoms in adolescents: A comparison of risk profiles for substance use and depressive symptoms. Prev Sci 6, 73–88.
51. L Christensen (2001) The effect of food intake on mood. Clin Nutr 20, S161–S166.
53. M Liebman , S Pelican , S Moore (2003) Dietary intake, eating behavior, and physical activity-related determinants of high body mass index in rural communities in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 684–692.
54. MG Sawyer , MR Miller-Lewis & JJ Clark (2007) The mental health of 13–17 year-olds in Australia: Findings from the national survey of mental health and well-being. J Youth Adolesc 36, 185–194.