This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. RE Patterson , LL Frank , AR Kristal & E White (2004) A comprehensive examination of health conditions associated with obesity in older adults. Am J Prev Med 27, 385–390.
4. KM Flegal , BI Graubard , DF Williamson & MH Gail (2005) Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity. JAMA 293, 1861–1867.
8. S Cho , M Dietrich , CJP Brown , CA Clark & G Block (2003) The effect of breakfast type on total daily energy intake and body mass index: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Am Coll Nutr 22, 296–302.
9. BH Lin , CL Huang & SA French (2004) Factors associated with women’s and children’s body mass indices by income status. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 536–542.
10. B Balkau , JE Deanfield , JP Després (2007) International Day for the Evaluation of Abdominal Obesity (IDEA): a study of waist circumference, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes mellitus in 168,000 primary care patients in 63 countries. Circulation 116, 1942–1951.
11. SA Martin , MT Haren , AW Taylor , SM Middleton & GA Wittert (2008) Chronic disease prevalence and associations in a cohort of Australian men: the Florey Adelaide Male Ageing Study (FAMAS). BMC Public Health 8, 261.
14. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2005) A comparison of three dietary pattern indexes for predicting biomarkers of diet and disease. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 294–303.
15. X Guo , BA Warden & GA Bray (2004) Health Eating Index and obesity. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1580–1586.
18. SJ Weinstein , TM Vogt & SA Gerrior (2004) Healthy Eating Index scores are associated with blood nutrient concentrations in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 576–584.
24. JM Torpy , CL Lynm & RM Glass (2006) The metabolic syndrome. JAMA 295, 850.
30. C Li , ES Ford , LC McGuire & AH Mokdad (2007) Increasing trends in waist circumference and abdominal obesity among US adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 216–224.
31. CP Sanchez-Castillo , O Velasquez-Monroy , A Lara-Esqueda , A Berber , J Sepúlveda , R Tapia-Conyer & WP James (2005) Diabetes and hypertension increases in a society with abdominal obesity: results of the Mexican National Health Survey 2000. Public Health Nutr 8, 53–60.
32. J Laitinen , K Pietiläiene , M Wadsworth , U Sovio & MR Järvelin (2004) Predictors of abdominal obesity among 31-y-old men and women born in Northern Finland in 1966. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 180–190.
34. HS Kahn , LM Tatham , C Rodriguez , EE Calle , MJ Thun & CW Heath (1997) Stable behaviors associated with adults’ 10-year change in body mass index and likelihood of gain at the waist. Am J Public Health 87, 747–754.
36. B Krachler , M Eliasson , H Stenlund , I Johansson , G Hallmans & B Lindahl (2006) Reported food intake and distribution of body fat: a repeated cross-sectional study. Nutr J 5, 11.
38. KL Jen , K Brogan , OG Washington , JM Flack & NT Artinian (2007) Poor nutrient intake and high obese rate in an urban African American population with hypertension. J Am Coll Nutr 26, 57–65.
39. L Azadbakht , P Mirmiran , A Esmaillzadeh , T Azizi & F Azizi (2005) Beneficial effects of a dietary approaches to stop hypertension eating plan on features of the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care 28, 2823–2831.
41. CH Pullen , S Noble Walker , PA Hageman , LS Boeckner & MK Oberdorfer (2005) Differences in eating and activity markers among normal weight, overweight, and obese rural women. Womens Health Issues 15, 209–215.
45. WC Willett & RL Leibel (2002) Dietary fat is not a major determinant of body fat. Am J Med 113, Suppl. 9B, 47–59.