This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. LM Powell & Y Bao (2009) Food prices, access to food outlets and child weight. Econ Hum Biol 7, 64–72.
2. R Sturm & A Datar (2008) Food prices and weight gain during elementary school: 5-year update. Public Health 122, 1140–1143.
3. KM Jetter & DL Cassady (2006) The availability and cost of healthier food alternatives. Am J Prev Med 30, 38–44.
4. A Drewnowski (2010) The cost of US foods as related to their nutritive value. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1181–1188.
5. P Monsivais , J Mclain & A Drewnowski (2010) The rising disparity in the price of healthful foods: 2004–2008. Food Policy 35, 514–520.
8. SJ Sweitzer , ME Briley & C Robert-Gray (2009) Do sack lunches provided by parents meet the nutritional needs of young children who attend child care? J Am Diet Assoc 109, 141–144.
9. KS Bruening , JA Gilbride , MR Passannante (1999) Dietary intake and health outcomes among young children attending 2 urban day-care centers. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 1529–1535.
10. P Monsivais , S Kirkpatrick & DB Johnson (2011) More nutritious food is served in child-care homes receiving higher federal food subsidies. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 721–726.
11. P Monsivais & A Drewnowski (2009) Lower-energy-density diets are associated with higher monetary costs per kilocalorie and are consumed by women of higher socioeconomic status. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 814–822.
12. AM Bernstein , DE Bloom , BA Rosner (2010) Relation of food cost to healthfulness of diet among US women. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1197–1203.
14. E Andrieu , N Darmon & A Drewnowski (2006) Low-cost diets: more energy, fewer nutrients. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 434–436.
15. F Rauber & MR Vitolo (2009) Nutritional quality and food expenditure in preschool children. J Pediatr (Rio J) 85, 536–540.
19. NM Karanja , E Obarzanek , PH Lin (1999) Descriptive characteristics of the dietary patterns used in the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Trial. DASH Collaborative Research Group. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 8 Suppl., S19–S27.
21. D Mozaffarian & DS Ludwig (2010) Dietary guidelines in the 21st century – a time for food. JAMA 304, 681–682.
27. JH Ledikwe , HM Blanck , LK Khan (2006) Low-energy-density diets are associated with high diet quality in adults in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1172–1180.
28. DL Suskind (2009) Nutritional deficiencies during normal growth. Pediatr Clin North Am 56, 1035–1053.
29. SB Roberts & MB Heyman (2000) Micronutrient shortfalls in young children's diets: common, and owing to inadequate intakes both at home and at child care centers. Nutr Rev 58, 27–29.
30. ME Briley , S Jastrow , J Vickers (1999) Dietary intake at child-care centers and away: are parents and care providers working as partners or at cross-purposes? J Am Diet Assoc 99, 950–954.
31. JD Skinner , BR Carruth , KS Houck (1999) Longitudinal study of nutrient and food intakes of white preschool children aged 24 to 60 months. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 1514–1521.
32. C Ballew , S Kuester , M Serdula (2000) Nutrient intakes and dietary patterns of young children by dietary fat intakes. J Pediatr 136, 181–187.
34. T Erinosho , LB Dixon , C Young (2011) Nutrition practices and children's dietary intakes at 40 child-care centers in New York City. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 1391–1397.
35. S Kranz , DC Mitchell , AM Siega-Riz (2005) Dietary fiber intake by American preschoolers is associated with more nutrient-dense diets. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 221–225.
36. JA Mendoza , A Drewnowski & DA Christakis (2007) Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and the metabolic syndrome in US adults. Diabetes Care 30, 974–979.
40. G Turrell , B Hewitt , C Patterson (2002) Socioeconomic differences in food purchasing behaviour and suggested implications for diet-related health promotion. J Hum Nutr Diet 15, 355–364.
50. MA Beydoun & Y Wang (2008) How do socio-economic status, perceived economic barriers and nutritional benefits affect quality of dietary intake among US adults? Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 303–313.