This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. K Yang (2001) The Hmong in America: twenty-five years after the US secret war in Laos. J Asian Am Stud 4, 165–174.
4. L Franzen & C Smith (2009) Acculturation and environmental change impacts dietary habits among adult Hmong. Appetite 52, 173–183.
7. SK Johnson (2002) Hmong health beliefs and experiences in the western health care system. J Transcult Nurs 13, 126–132.
10. PF Clarkin (2008) Adiposity and height of adult Hmong refugees: relationship with war-related early malnutrition and later migration. Am J Hum Biol 20, 174–184.
11. L Franzen & C Smith (2010) Food system access, shopping behavior, and influences on purchasing groceries in adult Hmong living in Minnesota. Am J Health Promot 24, 396–409.
12. KA Culhane-Pera , M Moua , T DeFor (2009) Cardiovascular disease risks in Hmong refugees from Wat Tham Krabok, Thailand. J Immigr Minor Health 11, 372–379.
14. J Stang , A Kong , M Story (2007) Food and weight-related patterns and behaviors of Hmong adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 936–941.
16. A Yang , D Xiong , E Vang (2009) Hmong American women living with diabetes. J Nurs Scholarsh 41, 139–148.
19. H Vue & M Reicks (2007) Individual and environmental influences on intake of calcium-rich food and beverages by young Hmong adolescent girls. J Nutr Educ Behav 39, 264–272.
22. RS McPherson , DM Hoelscher , M Alexander (2000) Dietary assessment methods among school-aged children: validity and reliability. Prev Med 31, issue 2, S11–S33.
23. GC Frank (1991) Taking a bite out of eating behavior: food records and food recalls of children. J Sch Health 61, 198–200.
24. G Marin , F Sabogal , BV Marin (1987) Development of a short acculturation scale for Hispanics. Hispanic J Behav Sci 9, 183–205.
25. AR Frisancho (2008) Anthropometric Standards: An Interactive Nutritional Reference of Body Size and Body Composition for Children and Adults. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
31. K Bibbins-Domingo , P Coxson , MJ Pletcher (2007) Adolescent overweight and future adult coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 357, 2371–2379.
32. A Engeland , T Bjorge , A Tverdal (2004) Obesity in adolescence and adulthood and the risk of adult mortality. Epidemiology 15, 79–85.
34. RP Heaney , S Abrams , B Dawson-Hughes (2000) Peak bone mass. Osteoporos Int 11, 985–1009.
37. M Kirby & E Danner (2009) Nutritional deficiencies in children on restricted diets. Pediatr Clin N Am 56, 1085–1103.
38. S Tan , L Ji , J Tsai (2009) Greater osteoporosis educational outreach is desirable among Chinese immigrants in Chinatown, Chicago. Osteoporos Int 20, 1517–1522.
40. JM Brotanek , J Gosz , M Weitzman (2007) Iron deficiency in early childhood in the United States: risk factors and racial/ethnic disparities. Pediatrics 120, 568–575.
41. S Kirchengast & B Hartmann (1998) Maternal prepregnancy weight status and pregnancy weight gain as major determinants for newborn weight and size. Ann Hum Biol 25, 17–28.
42. MA Grondin , M Ruivard , A Perreve (2008) Prevalence of iron deficiency and health-related quality of life among female students. J Am Coll Nutr 27, 337–341.
44. M Falkingham , A Abdelhamid , P Curtis (2010) The effects of oral iron supplementation on cognition in older children and adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutr J 9, 4.
46. RC Yang & PK Mills (2008) Dietary and lifestyle practices of Hmong in California. J Health Care Poor Underserved 19, 1258–1269.
47. JA Marlett & JL Slavin (1997) Position of the American Dietetic Association: health implications of dietary fiber. J Am Diet Assoc 97, 1157–1159.
48. U Mulasi-Pokhriyal & C Smith (2010) Assessing body image issues and body satisfaction/dissatisfaction among Hmong American children 9–18 years of age using mixed methodology. Body Image 7, 341–348.
49. DA Himmelgreen , R Perez-Escamilla , D Martinez (2004) The longer you stay, the bigger you get: length of time and language use in the US are associated with obesity in Puerto Rican women. Am J Phys Anthropol 125, 90–96.
51. JCN Chan , V Malik , W Jia (2009) Diabetes in Asia: epidemiology, risk factors, and pathophysiology. J Am Diet Assoc 301, 2129–2140.
52. A Moran , AVD Roux , SA Jackson (2007) Acculturation is associated with hypertension in a multiethnic sample. Am J Hypertens 20, 354–363.