This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. R Burge , B Dawson-Hughes , DH Solomon et al. (2007) Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025. J Bone Miner Res 22, 465–475.
3. AL Darling , DJ Millward , DJ Torgerson et al. (2009) Dietary protein and bone health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1674–1692.
4. F Ginty (2003) Dietary protein and bone health. Proc Nutr Soc 62, 867–876.
5. JP Bonjour (2005) Dietary protein: an essential nutrient for bone health. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 6 Suppl., 526S–536S.
6. D Jesudason & P Clifton (2011) The interaction between dietary protein and bone health. J Bone Miner Metab 29, 1–14.
8. TL Butler , GE Fraser , WL Beeson et al. (2008) Cohort profile: the Adventist Health Study-2 (AHS-2). Int J Epidemiol 37, 260–265.
9. K Jaceldo-Siegl , J Fan , J Sabaté et al. (2011) Race-specific validation of food intake obtained from a comprehensive FFQ: the Adventist Health Study-2. Public Health Nutr 14, 1988–1997.
10. AL Adams , J Shi , M Takayanagi et al. (2013) Ten-year hip fracture incidence rate trends in a large California population, 1997–2006. Osteoporos Int 24, 373–376.
11. DR Jacobs Jr, EH Haddad , AJ Lanou et al. (2009) Food, plant food, and vegetarian diets in the US dietary guidelines: conclusions of an expert panel. Am J Clin Nutr 89, issue 5, 1549S–1552S.
13. V Benetou , P Orfanos , D Zylis et al. (2011) Diet and hip fractures among elderly Europeans in the EPIC cohort. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, 132–139.
14. MJ Martínez-Ramírez , AD Delgado-Martínez , M Ruiz-Bailén et al. (2012) Protein intake and fracture risk in elderly people: a case–control study. Clin Nutr 31, 391–395.
15. DL Thorpe , SF Knutsen , WL Beeson et al. (2008) Effects of meat consumption and vegetarian diet on risk of wrist fracture over 25 years in a cohort of peri- and postmenopausal women. Public Health Nutr 11, 564–572.
17. SI Barr , SP Murphy , TD Agurs-Collins et al. (2003) Planning diets for individuals using the dietary reference intakes. Nutr Rev 61, 352–360.
18. H Oxlund , M Barckman , G Ortoft et al. (1995) Reduced concentrations of collagen cross-links are associated with reduced strength of bone. Bone 17, 4 Suppl., 365S–371S.
19. K Parto , R Penttinen , I Paronen et al. (1993) Osteoporosis in lysinuric protein intolerance. J Inherit Metab Dis 16, 441–450.
21. JL Flanagan , PA Simmons , J Vehige et al. (2010) Role of carnitine in disease. Nutr Metab 7, 30–45.
22. PB Geil & JW Anderson (1994) Nutrition and health implications of dry beans: a review. J Am Coll Nutr 13, 549–558.
23. A Cassidy , P Albertazzi , I Lise Nielsen et al. (2006) Critical review of health effects of soyabean phyto-oestrogens in post-menopausal women. Proc Nutr Soc 65, 76–92.
24. DF Ma , LQ Qin , PY Wang et al. (2008) Soy isoflavone intake inhibits bone resorption and stimulates bone formation in menopausal women: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 155–161.
25. J Liu , SC Ho , YX Su et al. (2009) Effect of long-term intervention of soy isoflavones on bone mineral density in women: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Bone 44, 948–953.
26. X Zhang , XO Shu , H Li et al. (2005) Prospective cohort study of soy food consumption and risk of bone fracture among postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 165, 1890–1895.
27. H Vatanparast & PD Chilibeck (2007) Does the effect of soy phytoestrogens on bone in postmenopausal women depend on the equol-producing phenotype? Nutr Rev 65, 294–299.
28. L Keinan-Boker , PH Peeters , AA Mulligan et al. (2002) Soy product consumption in 10 European countries: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study. Public Health Nutr 5, 1217–1226.
29. HJ Wengreen , RG Munger , NA West et al. (2004) Dietary protein intake and risk of osteoporotic hip fracture in elderly residents of Utah. J Bone Miner Res 19, 537–545.
30. D Feskanich , WC Willett , MJ Stampfer et al. (1996) Protein consumption and bone fractures in women. Am J Epidemiol 143, 472–479.
31. S Sahni , LA Cupples , RR McLean et al. (2010) Protective effect of high protein and calcium intake on the risk of hip fracture in the Framingham offspring cohort. J Bone Miner Res 25, 2494–2500.
32. HE Meyer , JI Pedersen , EB Løken et al. (1997) Dietary factors and the incidence of hip fracture in middle-aged Norwegians. A prospective study. Am J Epidemiol 145, 117–123.
33. P Dargent-Molina , S Sabia , M Touvier et al. (2008) Proteins, dietary acid load, and calcium and risk of postmenopausal fractures in the E3N French women prospective study. J Bone Miner Res 23, 1915–1922.
34. Y Zhong , CA Okoro & LS Balluz (2009) Association of total calcium and dietary protein intakes with fracture risk in postmenopausal women: the 1999–2002 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Nutrition 25, 647–654.
36. L Xu , M Phillips , C D'Este et al. (2006) Diet, activity, and other lifestyle risk factors for forearm fracture in postmenopausal women in China: a case–control study. Menopause 13, 102–110.
37. Y Monma , K Niu , K Iwasaki et al. (2010) Dietary patterns associated with fall-related fracture in elderly Japanese: a population based prospective study. BMC Geriatrics 10, 31–35.
38. MP Thorpe & EM Evans (2011) Dietary protein and bone health: harmonizing conflicting theories. Nutr Rev 69, 215–230.
39. JE Kerstetter , AM Kenny & KL Insogna (2011) Dietary protein and skeletal health: a review of recent human research. Curr Opin Lipidol 22, 16–20.
40. JF Chiu , SJ Lan , CY Yang et al. (1997) Long-term vegetarian diet and bone mineral density in postmenopausal Taiwanese women. Calcif Tissue Int 60, 245–249.
41. YM Tantamango , SF Knutsen , WL Beeson et al. (2008) Foods and food groups associated with the incidence of colorectal polyps: the Adventist Health Study. Nutr Cancer 63, 565–572.
42. MM Bergmann , T Byers , DS Freedman et al. (1998) Validity of self-reported diagnoses leading to hospitalization: a comparison of self-reports with hospital records in a prospective study of American adults. Am J Epidemiol 147, 969–977.
43. A Paganini-Hill & A Chao (1993) Accuracy of recall of hip fracture, heart attack, and cancer: a comparison of postal survey data and medical records. Am J Epidemiol 138, 101–106.
44. MC Nevitt , SR Cummings , WS Browner et al. (1992) The accuracy of self-report of fractures in elderly women: evidence from a prospective study. Am J Epidemiol 135, 490–499.