This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. WC Heird & A Lapillonne (2005) The role of essential fatty acids in development. Annu Rev Nutr 25, 549–571.
3. T Tamura , RL Goldenberg , J Hou , KE Johnston , SP Cliver , SL Ramey & KG Nelson (2002) Cord serum ferritin concentrations and mental and psychomotor development of children at five years of age. J Pediatr 140, 165–170.
4. IB Helland , L Smith , K Saarem , OD Saugstad & CA Drevon (2003) Maternal supplementation with very-long-chain n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation augments children’s IQ at 4 years of age. Pediatrics 111, e39–e44.
7. J Colombo , KN Kannass , DJ Shaddy , S Kundurthi , JM Maikranz , CJ Anderson , OM Blaga & SE Carlson (2004) Maternal DHA and the development of attention in infancy and toddlerhood. Child Dev 75, 1254–1267.
9. IB Helland , L Smith , B Blomen , K Saarem , OD Saugstad & CA Drevon (2008) Effect of supplementing pregnant and lactating mothers with n-3 very-long-chain fatty acids on children’s IQ and body mass index at 7 years of age. Pediatrics 122, e472–e479.
11. JL Domingo , A Bocio , G Falco & JM Llobet (2007) Benefits and risks of fish consumption Part I. A quantitative analysis of the intake of omega-3 fatty acids and chemical contaminants. Toxicology 230, 219–226.
12. KR Mahaffey (2004) Fish and shellfish as dietary sources of methylmercury and the omega-3 fatty acids, eicosahexaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid: risks and benefits. Environ Res 95, 414–428.
13. JR Hibbeln , JM Davis , C Steer , P Emmett , I Rogers , C Williams & J Golding (2007) Maternal seafood consumption in pregnancy and neurodevelopmental outcomes in childhood (ALSPAC study): an observational cohort study. Lancet 369, 578–585.
14. E Oken , RO Wright , KP Kleinman , D Bellinger , CJ Amarasiriwardena , H Hu & MW Gillman (2005) Maternal fish consumption, hair mercury, and infant cognition in a US cohort. Environ Health Perspect 113, 1376–1380.
15. JL Daniels , MP Longnecker , AS Rowland & J Golding (2004) Fish intake during pregnancy and early cognitive development of offspring. Epidemiology 15, 394–402.
16. E Oken , JS Radesky , RO Wright , DC Bellinger , CJ Amarasiriwardena , KP Kleinman , H Hu & MW Gillman (2008) Maternal fish intake during pregnancy, blood mercury levels, and child cognition at age 3 years in a US cohort. Am J Epidemiol 167, 1171–1181.
17. R Matorras , L Perteagudo , P Sanjurjo & JI Ruiz (1999) Intake of long chain ω3 polyunsaturated fatty acids during pregnancy and the influence of levels in the mother on newborn levels. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 83, 179–184.
21. SM Innis (2004) Polyunsaturated fatty acids in human milk: an essential role in infant development. Adv Exp Med Biol 554, 27–43.
22. GJ Myers , PW Davidson , C Cox (2003) Prenatal methylmercury exposure from ocean fish consumption in the Seychelles child development study. Lancet 361, 1686–1692.
24. D Mozaffarian & EB Rimm (2006) Fish intake, contaminants, and human health: evaluating the risks and the benefits. JAMA 296, 1885–1899.
25. P Grandjean , P Weihe , RF White , F Debes , S Araki , K Yokoyama , K Murata , N Sorenson , R Dahl & PJ Jorgensen (1997) Cognitive deficit in 7-year-old children with prenatal exposure to methylmercury. Neurotoxicol Teratol 19, 417–428.
29. I Romieu , M Torrent , R Garcia-Esteban , C Ferrer , N Ribas-Fito , JM Anto & J Sunyer (2007) Maternal fish intake during pregnancy and atopy and asthma in infancy. Clin Exp Allergy 37, 518–525.
30. J Sunyer , M Torrent , R Garcia-Esteban , N Ribas-Fito , D Carrizo , I Romieu , JM Anto & JO Grimalt (2006) Early exposure to dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene, breastfeeding and asthma at age six. Clin Exp Allergy 36, 1236–1241.
32. L Chatzi , M Torrent , I Romieu , R Garcia-Esteban , C Ferrer , J Vioque , M Kogevinas & J Sunyer (2008) Mediterranean diet in pregnancy protective for wheeze and atopy in childhood. Thorax 63, 507–513.
33. A Lucas , R Morley , TJ Cole , SM Gore , JA Davis , MF Bamford & JF Dossetor (1989) Early diet in preterm babies and developmental status in infancy. Arch Dis Child 64, 1570–1578.
34. G Der , GD Batty & IJ Deary (2006) Effect of breast feeding on intelligence in children: prospective study, sibling pairs analysis, and meta-analysis. BMJ 333, 945.
36. M Alvarez-Pedrerol , N Ribas-Fito , M Torrent , D Carrizo , JO Grimalt & J Sunyer (2008) Effects of PCBs, p,p′-DDT, p,p′-DDE, HCB and β-HCH on thyroid function in preschoolers. Occup Environ Med 65, 452–457.
37. N Ribas-Fito , M Torrent , D Carrizo , L Munoz-Ortiz , J Julvez , JO Grimalt & J Sunyer (2006) In utero exposure to background concentrations of DDT and cognitive functioning among preschoolers. Am J Epidemiol 164, 955–962.
38. ER Boersma & CI Lanting (2000) Environmental exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and dioxins. Consequences for longterm neurological and cognitive development of the child lactation. Adv Exp Med Biol 478, 271–287.
39. J Julvez , N Ribas-Fito , M Forns , R Garcia-Esteban , M Torrent & J Sunyer (2007) Attention behaviour and hyperactivity at age 4 and duration of breast-feeding. Acta Paediatr 96, 842–847.
40. R Ramon , M Murcia , F Ballester (2008) Prenatal exposure to mercury in a prospective mother-infant cohort study in a Mediterranean area, Valencia, Spain. Sci Total Environ 392, 69–78.
41. SL Hart , LM Boylan , SR Carroll , YA Musick , C Kuratko , BG Border & RM Lampe (2006) Brief report: newborn behavior differs with decosahexaenoic acid levels in breast milk. J Pediatr Psychol 31, 221–226.
42. EE Birch , S Garfield , DR Hoffman , R Uauy & DG Birch (2000) A randomized controlled trial of early dietary supply of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and mental development in term infants. Dev Med Child Neurol 42, 174–181.
43. JT Cohen , DC Bellinger , WE Connor & BA Shaywitz (2005) A quantitative analysis of prenatal intake of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and cognitive development. Am J Prev Med 29, 366–374.
45. CM Gibson-Davis & J Brooks-Gunn (2006) Breastfeeding and verbal ability of 3-year-olds in a multicity sample. Pediatrics 118, e1444–e1451.
47. TG Knowles , D Farrington & SC Kestin (2003) Mercury in UK imported fish and shellfish and UK-farmed fish and their products. Food Addit Contam 20, 813–818.
48. P Montuori , E Jover , S Diez , N Ribas-Fito , J Sunyer , M Triassi & JM Bayona (2006) Mercury speciation in the hair of pre-school children living near a chlor-alkali plant. Sci Total Environ 369, 51–58.
49. PW Stewart , J Reihman , EI Lonky , TJ Darvill & J Pagano (2003) Cognitive development in preschool children prenatally exposed to PCBs and MeHg. Neurotoxicol Teratol 25, 11–22.
50. P Grandjean , P Weihe , VW Burse (2001) Neurobehavioral deficits associated with PCB in 7-year-old children prenatally exposed to seafood neurotoxicants. Neurotoxicol Teratol 23, 305–317.
51. JC Bemis & RF Seegal (1999) Polychlorinated biphenyls and methylmercury act synergistically to reduce rat brain dopamine content in vitro. Environ Health Perspect 107, 879–885.
52. CS Roegge & SL Schantz (2006) Motor function following developmental exposure to PCBS and/or MEHG. Neurotoxicol Teratol 28, 260–277.
54. K Seppanen , M Kantola , R Laatikainen , K Nyyssonen , VP Valkonen , V Kaarlopp & JT Salonen (2000) Effect of supplementation with organic selenium on mercury status as measured by mercury in pubic hair. J Trace Elem Med Biol 14, 84–87.
55. C Chen , H Yu , J Zhao , B Li , L Qu , S Liu , P Zhang & Z Chai (2006) The roles of serum selenium and selenoproteins on mercury toxicity in environmental and occupational exposure. Environ Health Perspect 114, 297–301.
56. JR Hibbeln (2002) Seafood consumption, the DHA content of mothers’ milk and prevalence rates of postpartum depression: a cross-national, ecological analysis. J Affect Disord 69, 15–29.