This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AV Diez Roux (2001) Investigating neighborhood and area effects on health. Am J Public Health 91, 1783–1789.
3. AV Diez Roux & C Mair (2010) Neighbourhoods and health. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1186, 125–145.
4. K Morland , S Wing , A Diez Roux et al. (2002) Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. Am J Prev Med 22, 23–29.
5. KE Pickett & M Pearl (2001) Multilevel analyses of neighbourhood socioeconomic context and health outcomes: a critical review. J Epidemiol Community Health 55, 111–122.
6. S Cummins & S Macintyre (2006) Food environments and obesity – neighbourhood or nation? Int J Epidemiol 35, 100–104.
7. JM Patterson , LE Eberly , Y Ding et al. (2004) Associations of smoking prevalence with individual and area level social cohesion. J Epidemiol Community Health 58, 692–697.
8. FJ van Lenthe (2006) Aggregate deprivation and effects on health. In: Social Inequalities in Health: New Evidence and Policy Implications, pp. 167–192 [J Siegrist and M Marmot, editors]. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
9. S Macintyre , A Ellaway & S Cummins (2002) Place effects on health: how can we conceptualise, operationalise and measure them? Soc Sci Med 55, 125–139.
10. E Sellström & S Bremberg (2006) The significance of neighbourhood context to child and adolescent health and well-being: a systematic review of multilevel studies. Scand J Public Health 34, 544–554.
11. M Ezzati , SV Hoorn , A Rodgers et al. (2003) Estimates of global and regional potential health gains from reducing multiple major risk factors. Lancet 362, 271–280.
12. FJ van Lenthe & JP Mackenbach (2002) Neighbourhood deprivation and overweight: the GLOBE study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 234–240.
13. A Hyland , MJ Travers , KM Cummings et al. (2003) Tobacco outlet density and demographics in Erie County, New York. Am J Public Health 93, 1075–1076.
15. M Siahpush , PR Jones , GK Singh et al. (2010) Association of availability of tobacco products with socio-economic and racial/ethnic characteristics of neighbourhoods. Public Health 124, 525–529.
16. M Siahpush , PR Jones , GK Singh et al. (2010) The association of tobacco marketing with median income and racial/ethnic characteristics of neighbourhoods in Omaha, Nebraska. Tob Control 19, 256–258.
17. D Yu , NA Peterson , MA Sheffer et al. (2010) Tobacco outlet density and demographics: analysing the relationships with a spatial regression approach. Public Health 124, 412–416.
18. YC Chuang , C Cubbin , D Ahn et al. (2005) Effects of neighbourhood socioeconomic status and convenience store concentration on individual level smoking. J Epidemiol Community Health 59, 568–573.
19. SC Duncan , TE Duncan & LA Strycker (2002) A multilevel analysis of neighborhood context and youth alcohol and drug problems. Prev Sci 3, 125–133.
20. EM Berke , SE Tanski , E Demidenko et al. (2010) Alcohol retail density and demographic predictors of health disparities: a geographic analysis. Am J Public Health 100, 1967–1971.
21. LV Moore , AV Diez Roux , JA Nettleton et al. (2009) Fast-food consumption, diet quality, and neighborhood exposure to fast food: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Am J Epidemiol 170, 29–36.
22. LV Moore & AV Diez Roux (2006) Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores. Am J Public Health 96, 325–331.
23. NI Larson , MT Story & MC Nelson (2009) Neighborhood environments: disparities in access to healthy foods in the US. Am J Prev Med 36, 74–81.
24. J Pearce , T Blakely , K Witten et al. (2007) Neighborhood deprivation and access to fast-food retailing: a national study. Am J Prev Med 32, 375–382.
25. Y Ogneva-Himmelberger , L Ross , W Burdick et al. (2010) Using geographic information systems to compare the density of stores selling tobacco and alcohol: youth making an argument for increased regulation of the tobacco permitting process in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA. Tob Control 19, 475–480.
26. J Pearce , P Day & K Witten (2008) Neighbourhood provision of food and alcohol retailing and social deprivation in urban New Zealand. Urban Policy Res 26, 213–227.
27. H Morgenstern (1995) Ecologic studies in epidemiology: concepts, principles, and methods. Annu Rev Public Health 16, 61–81.
34. L Anselin & S Rey (2010) Perspectives on Spatial Data Analysis. Berlin: Springer.
35. L Anselin , I Syabri & Y Kho (2006) An introduction to spatial data analysis. Geogr Anal 38, 5–22.
36. A Lake , T Townshend & S Alvanides (2010) Obesogenic Environments. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
38. F Asumda & L Jordan (2009) Minority youth access to tobacco: a neighborhood analysis of underage tobacco sales. Health Place 15, 140–147.
39. FX Gibbons , M Gerrard , LS Vande Lune et al. (2004) Context and cognitions: environmental risk, social influence, and adolescent substance use. Pers Soc Psychol Bull 30, 1048–1061.
40. L Thompson , J Pearce & R Barnett (2007) Moralising geographies: stigma, smoking islands and responsible subjects. Area 39, 508–517.
41. R Jago , T Baranowski & JC Baranowski (2007) Fruit and vegetable availability: a micro environmental mediating variable? Public Health Nutr 10, 681–689.
43. J Pearce , R Hiscock , T Blakely et al. (2008) The contextual effects of neighbourhood access to supermarkets and convenience stores on individual fruit and vegetable consumption. J Epidemiol Community Health 62, 198–201.
44. J Pearce , R Hiscock , T Blakely et al. (2009) A national study of the association between neighbourhood access to fast-food outlets and the diet and weight of local residents. Health Place 15, 193–197.
45. J Dunn , K Frohlich & N Ross (2006) Role of geography in inequalities in health and human development. In Healthier Societies: From Analysis to Action, pp. 237–266 [J Heymann, C Hertzmann, ML Barer et al., editors]. New York: Oxford University Press.
46. R Barnett , J Pearce & G Moon (2009) Community inequality and smoking cessation in New Zealand, 1981–2006. Soc Sci Med 68, 876–884.
47. M Ashe , D Jernigan , R Kline et al. (2003) Land use planning and the control of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and fast food restaurants. Am J Public Health 93, 1404–1408.
48. A Schulz & ME Northridge (2004) Social determinants of health: implications for environmental health promotion. Health Educ Behav 31, 455–471.
50. M Ward & K Gleditsch (2008) Spatial Regression Models. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
51. EC Feighery , NC Schleicher , T Boley Cruz et al. (2008) An examination of trends in amount and type of cigarette advertising and sales promotions in California stores, 2002–2005. Tob Control 17, 93–98.
53. JE Schneider , RJ Reid , NA Peterson et al. (2005) Tobacco outlet density and demographics at the tract level of analysis in Iowa: implications for environmentally based prevention initiatives. Prev Sci 6, 319–325.
54. DW Harrington & SJ Elliott (2009) Weighing the importance of neighbourhood: a multilevel exploration of the determinants of overweight and obesity. Soc Sci Med 68, 593–600.
55. J Pearce , R Hiscock , G Moon et al. (2009) The neighbourhood effects of geographical access to tobacco retailers on individual smoking behaviour. J Epidemiol Community Health 63, 69–77.