This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. LA Bazzano , MK Serdula & S Liu (2003) Dietary intake of fruits and vegetables and risk of cardiovascular disease. Curr Atheroscler Rep 5, 492–499.
2. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , LM Klesges , K Watson , NE Sherwood , M Story , I Zakeri , D Leachman-Slawson & C Pratt (2004) Anthropometric, parental, and psychosocial correlates of dietary intake of African-American girls. Obes Res 12, Suppl., 20S–31S.
3. MG Roseman , WK Yeung & J Nickelsen (2007) Examination of weight status and dietary behaviors of middle school students in Kentucky. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1139–1145.
4. PM Guenther , KW Dodd , J Reedy & SM Krebs-Smith (2006) Most Americans eat much less than recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1371–1379.
5. BA Dennison , HL Rockwell & SL Baker (1998) Fruit and vegetable intake in young children. J Am Coll Nutr 17, 371–378.
6. N Darling & L Steinberg (1993) Parenting style as context: an integrative model. Psychol Bull 113, 487–496.
7. SO Hughes , TG Power , J Orlet Fisher , S Mueller & TA Nicklas (2005) Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in a child-feeding context. Appetite 44, 83–92.
8. SP Kremers , J Brug , H de Vries & RC Engels (2003) Parenting style and adolescent fruit consumption. Appetite 41, 43–50.
9. H Patrick , T Nicklas , T Hughes & M Morales (2005) The benefit of authoritative feeding style: caregiver feeding styles and children’s food consumption. Appetite 44, 243–249.
10. K Rhee , D Appugliese , N Kaciroti & R Bradley (2006) Parenting styles and overweight in first grade. Pediatrics 117, 2047–2054.
11. JO Fisher , DC Mitchell , H Smiciklas-Wright & LL Birch (2002) Parental influences on young girls’ fruit and vegetable, micronutrient, and fat intakes. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 58–64.
12. J Wardle , S Carnell & L Cooke (2005) Parental control over feeding and children’s fruit and vegetable intake: how are they related? J Am Diet Assoc 105, 227–232.
13. CA Vereecken , E Keukelier & L Maes (2004) Influence of mother’s educational level on food parenting practices and food habits of young children. Appetite 43, 93–103.
14. K van der Horst , S Kremers , I Ferreira , A Singh , A Oenema & J Brug (2007) Perceived parenting style and practices and the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages by adolescents. Health Educ Res 22, 295–304.
15. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , L Rittenberry , C Cosart , D Hebert & C de Moor (2001) Child-reported family and peer influences on fruit, juice and vegetable consumption: reliability and validity of measures. Health Educ Res 16, 187–200.
18. MW Morris , K Leung , D Ames & B Lickel (1999) Views from the inside and outside: integrating emic and etic insights about culture and justice judgment. Acad Manag Rev 24, 781–796.
20. D Miller , R Shewchuk , TR Elliot & S Richards (2000) Nominal group technique: a process for identifying diabetes self-care issues among patients and caregivers. Diabetes Educ 26, 305–310, 312, 314.
24. L Lytle , D Murray , C Perry & A Eldridge (1998) Validating fourth-grade students’ self-report of dietary intake: results from the 5 a day power plus program. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 570–572.
26. SO Hughes , CB Anderson , TG Power , N Micheli , S Jaramillo & TA Nicklas (2006) Measuring feeding in low-income African-American and Hispanic parents. Appetite 46, 215–223.
27. WS Agras , LD Hammer , F McNicholas & HC Kraemer (2004) Risk factors for childhood overweight: a prospective study from birth to 9.5 years. J Pediatr 145, 20–25.
28. WB Carey , RL Hegvik & SC McDevitt (1988) Temperamental factors associated with rapid weight gain and obesity in middle childhood. J Dev Behav Pediatr 9, 194–198.
29. C Jacobi , WS Agras , S Bryson & LD Hammer (2003) Behavioral validation, precursors, and concomitants of picky eating in childhood. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42, 76–84.
30. MK Rothbart , SA Ahadi , K Hershey & P Fisher (2001) Investigations of temperament at three to seven years: the Children’s Behavior Questionnaire. Child Dev 72, 1394–1408.
31. SP Putnam & MK Rothbart (2006) Development of short and very short forms of the Children’s Behavior Questionnaire. J Pers Assess 87, 102–112.
32. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , E Owens , T Marsh , L Rittenberry & C de Moor (2003) Availability, accessibility, and preferences for fruit, 100 % fruit juice, and vegetables influence children’s dietary behavior. Health Educ Behav 30, 615–626.
33. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , C Perry & M Story (2003) Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among adolescents. Findings from Project EAT. Prev Med 37, 198–208.
35. KW Cullen , LM Klesges , NE Sherwood , T Baranowski , B Beech , C Pratt , A Zhou & J Rochon (2004) Measurement characteristics of diet-related psychosocial questionnaires among African-American parents and their 8- to 10-year-old daughters: results from the Girls’ health Enrichment Multi-site Studies. Prev Med 38, Suppl., S34–S42.
36. T Marsh , K Cullen & T Baranowski (2003) Validation of a fruit, juice, and vegetable availability questionnaire. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 93–96.
37. R Strahan & KC Gerbasi (1972) Short, homogeneous versions of the Marlowe–Crowne Social Desirability Scale. J Clin Psychol 28, 191–193.
38. R Shewchuk & SJ O’Connor (2002) Using cognitive concept mapping to understand what health care means to the elderly: an illustrative approach for planning and marketing. Health Mark Q 20, 69–88.
39. RM Shewchuk , FA Franklin , KH Harrington , SL Davies & M Windle (2004) Using cognitive mapping procedures to develop a community-based family intervention. Am J Health Behav 28, 43–53.
40. RM Shewchuk , PA Rivera , TR Elliott & AM Adams (2004) Using cognitive mapping to understand problems experienced by family caregivers of persons with severe physical disabilities. J Clin Psychol Med Settings 11, 141–150.
41. RM Shewchuk , SJ O’Connor , ES Williams & GT Savage (2006) Beyond rankings: using cognitive mapping to understand what health care journals represent. Soc Sci Med 62, 1192–1204.
43. H Baghi , S Noorbaloochi & J Moore (2007) Statistical and nonstatistical significance: implications for health care researchers. Qual Manag Health Care 16, 104–112.
44. SE Barlow & Expert Committee (2007) Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 120, Suppl. 4, S164–S192.
46. KD Reynolds , T Baranowski , DB Bishop , RP Farris , D Binkley , TA Nicklas & PJ Elmer (1999) Patterns in child and adolescent consumption of fruit and vegetables: effects of gender and ethnicity across four sites. J Am Coll Nutr 18, 248–254.
47. FE Thompson , D Midthune , AF Subar , T McNeel , D Berrigan & V Kipnis (2005) Dietary intake estimates in the National Health Interview Survey, 2000: methodology, results, and interpretation. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 352–363.
48. S Barger (2002) The Marlowe–Crowne affair: short forms, psychometric structure, and social desirability. J Pers Assess 79, 286–305.