1. Sharkey, JR (2009) Measuring potential access to food stores and food-service places in rural areas in the US. Am J Prev Med 36, 4 Suppl., S151–S155.
2. Black, JL & Macinko, J (2008) Neighborhoods and obesity. Nutr Rev 66, 2–20.
3. Morland, K, Wing, S & Diez Roux, A (2002) The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents’ diets: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Am J Public Health 92, 1761–1767.
4. Moore, LV, Diez Roux, AV, Nettleton, JA et al. (2008) Associations of the local food environment with diet quality – a comparison of assessments based on surveys and geographic information systems: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Am J Epidemiol 167, 917–924.
5. Zenk, SN, Schulz, AJ, Israel, BA et al. (2005) Neighborhood racial composition, neighborhood poverty, and the spatial accessibility of supermarkets in metropolitan Detroit. Am J Public Health 95, 660–667.
6. Cheadle, A, Psaty, BM, Curry, S et al. (1993) Can measures of the grocery store environment be used to track community-level dietary changes? Prev Med 22, 361–372.
7. Laraia, BA, Siega-Riz, AM, Kaufman, JS et al. (2004) Proximity of supermarkets is positively associated with diet quality index for pregnancy. Prev Med 39, 869–875.
8. Morland, K & Filomena, S (2007) Disparities in the availability of fruits and vegetables between racially segregated urban neighbourhoods. Public Health Nutr 10, 1481–1489.
9. Lytle, LA (2009) Measuring the food environment: state of the science. Am J Prev Med 36, 4 Suppl., S134–S144.
10. Saelens, BE & Glanz, K (2009) Work group I: Measures of the food and physical activity environment: instruments. Am J Prev Med 36, 4 Suppl., S166–S170.
11. Story, M, Kaphingst, KM, Robinson-O'Brien, R et al. (2008) Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches. Annu Rev Public Health 29, 253–272.
12. Brug, J, Kremers, SP, Lenthe, F et al. (2008) Environmental determinants of healthy eating: in need of theory and evidence. Proc Nutr Soc 67, 307–316.
13. Ball, K, Jeffery, RW, Crawford, DA et al. (2008) Mismatch between perceived and objective measures of physical activity environments. Prev Med 47, 294–298.
14. Cummins, S (2007) Neighbourhood food environment and diet: time for improved conceptual models? Prev Med 44, 196–197.
15. Kamphuis, CB, Giskes, K, de Bruijn, GJ et al. (2006) Environmental determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among adults: a systematic review. Br J Nutr 96, 620–635.
16. Moore, LV, Diez Roux, AV & Brines, S (2008) Comparing perception-based and geographic information system (GIS)-based characterizations of the local food environment. J Urban Health 85, 206–216.
17. Sharkey, JR, Johnson, CM & Dean, WR (2010) Food access and perceptions of the community and household food environment as correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among rural seniors. BMC Geriatr 10, 32.
18. Rose, D & Richards, R (2004) Food store access and household fruit and vegetable use among participants in the US Food Stamp Program. Public Health Nutr 7, 1081–1088.
19. Bodor, JN, Rose, D, Farley, TA et al. (2008) Neighbourhood fruit and vegetable availability and consumption: the role of small food stores in an urban environment. Public Health Nutr 11, 413–420.
20. Wang, MC, Cubbin, C, Ahn, D et al. (2008) Changes in neighbourhood food store environment, food behaviour and body mass index, 1981–1990. Public Health Nutr 11, 963–970.
21. Liese, AD, Weis, KE, Pluto, D et al. (2007) Food store types, availability, and cost of foods in a rural environment. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1916–1923.
22. Casey, AA, Elliott, M, Glanz, K et al. (2008) Impact of the food environment and physical activity environment on behaviors and weight status in rural US communities. Prev Med 47, 600–604.
23. Kaufman, L & Karpati, A (2007) Understanding the sociocultural roots of childhood obesity: food practices among Latino families of Bushwick, Brooklyn. Soc Sci Med 64, 2177–2188.
24. Coveney, J & O'Dwyer, LA (2009) Effects of mobility and location on food access. Health Place 15, 45–55.
25. Morland, K, Wing, S, Diez Roux, A et al. (2002) Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. Am J Prev Med 22, 23–29.
26. Diez-Roux, AV, Nieto, FJ, Caulfield, L et al. (1999) Neighbourhood differences in diet: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. J Epidemiol Community Health 53, 55–63.
27. Morland, K, Diez Roux, AV & Wing, S (2006) Supermarkets, other food stores, and obesity: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Am J Prev Med 30, 333–339.
28. White, M (2007) Food access and obesity. Obes Rev 8, Suppl. 1, 99–107.
29. Pearce, J, Hiscock, R, Blakely, T et al. (2008) The contextual effects of neighbourhood access to supermarkets and convenience stores on individual fruit and vegetable consumption. J Epidemiol Community Health 62, 198–201.
30. Cummins, S & Macintyre, S (2006) Food environments and obesity – neighbourhood or nation? Int J Epidemiol 35, 100–104.
31. Giskes, K, van Lenthe, FJ, Kamphuis, CB et al. (2009) Household and food shopping environments: do they play a role in socioeconomic inequalities in fruit and vegetable consumption? A multilevel study among Dutch adults. J Epidemiol Community Health 63, 113–120.
32. Samuel-Hodge, CD, Johnston, LF, Gizlice, Z et al. (2009) Randomized trial of a behavioral weight loss intervention for low-income women: the Weight Wise Program. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 1891–1899.
34. Sharkey, JR & Horel, S (2008) Neighborhood socioeconomic deprivation and minority composition are associated with better potential spatial access to the ground-truthed food environment in a large rural area. J Nutr 138, 620–627.
35. Glanz, K, Sallis, JF, Saelens, BE et al. (2007) Nutrition Environment Measures Survey in stores (NEMS-S): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 282–289.
38. Franco, M, Diez-Roux, AV, Nettleton, JA et al. (2009) Availability of healthy foods and dietary patterns: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 897–904.
39. Moore, LV & Diez Roux, AV (2006) Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores. Am J Public Health 96, 325–331.
40. Mujahid, MS, Diez Roux, AV, Morenoff, JD et al. (2007) Assessing the measurement properties of neighborhood scales: from psychometrics to ecometrics. Am J Epidemiol 165, 858–867.
41. Block, G, Gillespie, C, Rosenbaum, EH et al. (2000) A rapid food screener to assess fat and fruit and vegetable intake. Am J Prev Med 18, 284–288.
42. Zenk, SN, Schulz, AJ, Hollis-Neely, T et al. (2005) Fruit and vegetable intake in African Americans income and store characteristics. Am J Prev Med 29, 1–9.
43. Zick, CD, Smith, KR, Fan, JX et al. (2009) Running to the store? The relationship between neighborhood environments and the risk of obesity. Soc Sci Med 69, 1493–1500.
45. Sturm, R & Cohen, DA (2009) Zoning for health? The year-old ban on new fast-food restaurants in South LA. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, 1088–1097.
46. Rose, D, Hutchinson, PL, Bodor, JN et al. (2009) Neighborhood food environments and body mass index: the importance of in-store contents. Am J Prev Med 37, 214–219.