This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. NK McGrath-Hanna , DM Greene , RJ Tavernier & A Bult-Ito (2003) Diet and mental health in the Arctic: is diet an important risk factor for mental health in circumpolar peoples? A review. Int J Circumpolar Health 62, 228–241.
6. MJ Chandler & C Lalonde (1998) Cultural continuity as a hedge against suicide in Canada’s First Nations. Transcult Psychiatry 35, 191–219.
11. RH Prince (1993) Psychiatry among the James Bay Cree: a focus on pathological grief reactions. Transcult Psychiatry Res Rev 30, 3–50.
14. G Parker , NA Gibson , H Brotchie , G Heruc , AM Rees & D Hadzi-Pavlovic (2006) Omega-3 fatty acids and mood disorders. Am J Psychiatry 163, 969–978.
15. J Sontrop & MK Campbell (2006) Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and depression: a review of the evidence and a methodological critique. Prev Med 42, 4–13.
16. M Plourde & S Cunnane (2007) Extremely limited synthesis of long chain polyunsaturates in adults: implications for their dietary essentiality and use as supplements. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32, 619–634.
17. M Kobayashi , S Sasaki , T Kawabata , K Hasegawa & S Tsugane (2003) Validity of a self-administered food frequency questionnaire used in the 5-year follow-up survey of the JPHC Study Cohort I to assess fatty acid intake: comparison with dietary records and serum phospholipid level. J Epidemiol 13, 1 Suppl., S64–S81.
19. A Hjartaker , E Lund & KS Bjerve (1997) Serum phospholipid fatty acid composition and habitual intake of marine foods registered by a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, 736–742.
20. S Yehuda , S Rabinovitz & DI Mostofsky (1999) Essential fatty acids are mediators of brain biochemistry and cognitive functions. J Neurosci Res 56, 565–570.
21. M Martinez (1992) Tissue levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids during early human development. J Pediatr 120, s129–s138.
22. RK McNamara & SE Carlson (2006) Role of omega-3 fatty acids in brain development and function: potential implications for the pathogenesis and prevention of psychopathology. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 75, 329–349.
23. S Delion , S Chalon , D Guilloteau , JC Besnard & G Durand (1996) α-Linolenic acid dietary deficiency alters age-related changes of dopaminergic and serotoninergic neurotransmission in the rat frontal cortex. J Neurochem 66, 1582–1591.
27. E Kodas , L Galineau , S Bodard , S Vancassel , D Guilloteau , JC Besnard & S Chalon (2004) Serotoninergic neurotransmission is affected by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the rat. J Neurochem 89, 695–702.
29. JR Hibbeln , M Linnoila , JC Umhau , R Rawlings , DT George & N Salem Jr (1998) Essential fatty acids predict metabolites of serotonin and dopamine in cerebrospinal fluid among healthy control subjects, and early- and late-onset alcoholics. Biol Psychiatry 44, 235–242.
30. CN Serhan (2005) Novel omega-3 derived local mediators in anti-inflammation and resolution. Pharmacol Ther 105, 7–21.
31. AA Farooqui , LA Horrocks & T Farooqui (2007) Modulation of inflammation in brain: a matter of fat. J Neurochem 101, 577–599.
34. LJ Kirmayer , LJ Boothroyd , A Tanner , N Adelson & E Robinson (2000) Psychological distress among the Cree of James Bay. Transcult Psychiatry 37, 35–56.
36. M Preville , L Potvin & R Boyer (1995) The structure of psychological distress. Psychol Rep 77, 275–293.
37. FW Ilfeld Jr (1978) Psychologic status of community residents along major demographic dimensions. Arch Gen Psychiatry 35, 716–724.
38. FW Ilfeld (1976) Further validation of a psychiatric symptom index in a normal population. Psychol Rep 39, 1215–1228.
39. F Martin , S Sabourin & P Gendreau (1989) Les dimensions de la detresse psychologique: analyse factorielle confirmatoire de type hierarchique. Int J Psychol 24, 571–584.
42. MA Babyak (2004) What you see may not be what you get: a brief, nontechnical introduction to overfitting in regression-type models. Psychosom Med 66, 411–421.
43. P Peduzzi , J Concato , E Kemper , TR Holford & AR Feinstein (1996) A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis. J Clin Epidemiol 49, 1373–1379.
44. EW Steyerberg , MJ Eijkemans , FE Harrell Jr & JD Habbema (2001) Prognostic modeling with logistic regression analysis: in search of a sensible strategy in small data sets. Med Decis Making 21, 45–56.
46. A Tanskanen , JR Hibbeln , J Tuomilehto , A Uutela , A Haukkala , H Viinamaki , J Lehtonen & E Vartiainen (2001) Fish consumption and depressive symptoms in the general population in Finland. Psychiatr Serv 52, 529–531.
49. M Lucas , E Dewailly , B Blanchet , S Gingras & BJ Holub (2009) Plasma omega-3 and psychological distress among Nunavik Inuit (Canada). Psychiatry Res (In the Press).
50. MB Raeder , VM Steen , SE Vollset & I Bjelland (2007) Associations between cod liver oil use and symptoms of depression: the Hordaland Health Study. J Affect Disord 101, 245–249.
51. S Suzuki , T Akechi , M Kobayashi , K Taniguchi , K Goto , S Sasaki , S Tsugane , Y Nishiwaki , H Miyaoka & Y Uchitomi (2004) Daily omega-3 fatty acid intake and depression in Japanese patients with newly diagnosed lung cancer. Br J Cancer 90, 787–793.
55. AJ Brown , E Pang & DCK Roberts (1991) Erythrocyte eicosapentaenoic acid versus docosahexaenoic acid as a marker for fish and fish oil consumption. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 44, 103–106.
57. K Mina , L Fritschi & M Knuiman (2007) A valid semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire to measure fish consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 1023–1031.
58. RK Woods , RM Stoney , PD Ireland , MJ Bailey , JM Raven , FC Thien , EH Walters & MJ Abramson (2002) A valid food frequency questionnaire for measuring dietary fish intake. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11, 56–61.
59. WS Harris & C Von Schacky (2004) The Omega-3 Index: a new risk factor for death from coronary heart disease? Prev Med 39, 212–220.
60. R Hakkarainen , T Partonen , J Haukka , J Virtamo , D Albanes & J Lonnqvist (2004) Is low dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids associated with depression? Am J Psychiatry 161, 567–569.
61. A Sanchez-Villegas , P Henriquez , A Figueiras , F Ortuno , F Lahortiga & MA Martinez-Gonzalez (2007) Long chain omega-3 fatty acids intake, fish consumption and mental disorders in the SUN cohort study. Eur J Nutr 46, 337–346.
62. B Lowe , RL Spitzer , K Grafe , K Kroenke , A Quenter , S Zipfel , C Buchholz , S Witte & W Herzog (2004) Comparative validity of three screening questionnaires for DSM-IV depressive disorders and physicians’ diagnoses. J Affect Disord 78, 131–140.
63. RV Bijl , R de Graaf , E Hiripi (2003) The prevalence of treated and untreated mental disorders in five countries. Health Aff (Millwood) 22, 122–133.
64. PY Lin & KP Su (2007) A meta-analytic review of double-blind, placebo-controlled trials of antidepressant efficacy of omega-3 fatty acids. J Clin Psychiatry 68, 1056–1061.
66. P Green , H Hermesh , A Monselise , S Marom , G Presburger & A Weizman (2006) Red cell membrane omega-3 fatty acids are decreased in nondepressed patients with social anxiety disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16, 107–113.
67. L Buydens-Branchey & M Branchey (2006) n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease anxiety feelings in a population of substance abusers. J Clin Psychopharmacol 26, 661–665.
68. M Fux , J Benjamin & B Nemets (2004) A placebo-controlled cross-over trial of adjunctive EPA in OCD. J Psychiatr Res 38, 323–325.
69. B Hallahan & MR Garland (2004) Essential fatty acids and their role in the treatment of impulsivity disorders. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71, 211–216.
70. B Hallahan , JR Hibbeln , JM Davis & MR Garland (2007) Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in patients with recurrent self-harm. Single-centre double-blind randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 190, 118–122.
71. M Kobayashi , S Sasaki , T Kawabata , K Hasegawa , M Akabane & S Tsugane (2001) Single measurement of serum phospholipid fatty acid as a biomarker of specific fatty acid intake in middle-aged Japanese men. Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 643–650.
72. JR Hebert , Y Ma , L Clemow , IS Ockene , G Saperia , EJ Stanek 3rd, PA Merriam & JK Ockene (1997) Gender differences in social desirability and social approval bias in dietary self-report. Am J Epidemiol 146, 1046–1055.