This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. H King , RE Aubert & WH Herman (1998) Global burden of diabetes, 1995–2025: prevalence, numerical estimates, and projections. Diabetes Care 21, 1414–1431.
2. JE Shaw , RA Sicree & PZ Zimmet (2010) Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87, 4–14.
3. S Wild , G Roglic , A Green (2004) Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 27, 1047–1053.
4. JED Diamond (2011) Diabetes in India. Nature 469, 479.
5. A Ramachandran & C Snehalatha (2009) Current scenario of diabetes in India. J Diabetes 1, 18–28.
6. RR Tiwari , PK Deb , A Debbarma (2008) Risk factor analysis in self-reported diabetes in a rural Kerala population. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries 28, 91–94.
8. A Ramachandran , C Snehalatha , A Kapur (2001) Diabetes Epidemiology Study Group in India (DESI): high prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in India: national urban diabetes survey. Diabetologia 44, 1094–1101.
10. A Ramachandran , MV Jali , V Mohan (1986) High prevalence of diabetes in an urban population in South India. BMJ 297, 587–590.
12. TM Knight , Z Smith , A Whittles (1992) Insulin resistance, diabetes and risk markers for ischaemic heart disease in Asian men and non-Asian men in Bradford. Br Heart J 67, 343–350.
13. K Ramaiya , VRR Kodali & KGMM Alberti (1990) Epidemiology of diabetes in Asians of the Indian subcontinent. Diabetes Metab Rev 6, 125–146.
14. R Gupta & A Misra (2007) Type 2 diabetes in India: regional disparities. Br J Diabetes Vasc Dis 7, 12–16.
15. V Mohan , M Deepa , R Deepa (2006) Secular trends in the prevalence of diabetes and glucose tolerance in urban South India – the Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study (CURES-17). Diabetologia 49, 1175–1178.
16. A Misra , RM Pandey , JR Devi (2001) High prevalence of diabetes, obesity and dyslipidaemia in urban slum population in northern India. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1722–1729.
17. A Ramachandran , C Snehalatha , E Latha (1997) Rising prevalence of NIDDM in an urban population in India. Diabetologia 40, 232–237.
19. A Ramachandran , C Snehalatha & V Vijay (2004) Low risk threshold for acquired diabetogenic factors in Asian Indians. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 65, 185–195.
21. R Pradeepa , RM Anjana , R Unnikrishnan (2010) Risk factors for microvascular complications of diabetes among south Indian subjects with type 2 diabetes – the Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study (CURES) Eye Study-5. Diabetes Technol Ther 12, 755–761.
22. A Ramachandran , RCW Ma & C Snehalatha (2010) Diabetes in Asia. Lancet 375, 408–418.
23. JCN Chan , V Malik , W Jia (2009) Diabetes in Asia: epidemiology, risk factors, and pathophysiology. JAMA 301, 2129–2140.
26. FB Hu , MF Leitzmann , MJ Stampfer (2001) Physical activity and television watching in relation to risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus in men. Arch Intern Med 161, 1542–1548.
28. BM Popkin , S Horton , S Kim (2001) Trends in diet, nutritional status, and diet-related non-communicable diseases in China and India: the economic costs of the nutrition transition. Nutr Rev 59, 379–390.
31. GA Colditz , WC Willett , A Rotnitzky (1995) Weight gain as a risk factor for clinical diabetes mellitus in women. Ann Intern Med 122, 481–486.
33. FB Hu , RJ Sigal , JW Rich-Edwards (1999) Walking compared with vigorous physical activity and risk of type 2 diabetes in women: a prospective study. JAMA 282, 1433–1439.
34. J Lynch , SP Helmrich , TA Lakka (1996) Moderately intense physical activities and high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness reduce risk of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in middle-aged men. Arch Intern Med 156, 1307–1314.
35. SP Helmrich , DR Ragland , RW Leung (1991) Physical activity and reduced occurrence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 325, 147–152.
36. JE Manson , EB Rimm , MJ Stampfer (1991) Physical activity and incidence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in women. Lancet 338, 774–778.
37. FB Hu , JE Manson & MJ Stampfer (2001) Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. N Engl J Med 345, 790–797.
38. JE Manson , UA Ajani , S Liu (2000) A prospective study of cigarette smoking and the incidence of diabetes mellitus among US male physicians. Am J Med 109, 538–542.
40. M Wei , LW Gibbons , TL Mitchell (2000) Alcohol intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in men. Diabetes Care 23, 18–22.
41. UA Ajani , CH Hennekens , A Spelsberg (2000) Alcohol consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among US male physicians. Arch Intern Med 160, 1025–1030.
42. L Djoussé , JM Gaziano , JE Buring (2009) Egg consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in men and women. Diabetes Care 32, 295–300.
43. D Aune , G Ursin & MB Veierød (2009) Meat consumption and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Diabetologia 52, 2277–2287.
45. TT Fung , M Schulze , JE Manson (2004) Dietary patterns, meat intake, and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Arch Intern Med 164, 2235–2240.
46. RM van Dam , WC Willet , EB Rimm (2002) Dietary fat and meat intake in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in men. Diabetes Care 25, 417–424.
47. GJV Woudenbergh , AJV Ballegooijen , A Kuijsten (2009) Eating fish and risk of type 2 diabetes a population-based, prospective follow-up study. Diabetes Care 32, 2021–2026.
49. LA Bazzano , TY Li , KJ Joshipura (2008) Intake of fruit, vegetables, and fruit juices and risk of diabetes in women. Diabetes Care 31, 1311–1317.
51. BJ Venn & JI Mann (2004) Cereal grains, legumes and diabetes. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1443–1461.
54. S Ebrahim , S Kinra , L Bowen (2010) The effect of rural to urban migration on obesity and diabetes in India: cross sectional study. PLoS Med 7, e10000268.
55. PC Elwood , DI Givens , D Andrew (2008) The survival advantage of milk and dairy consumption: an overview of evidence from cohort studies of vascular diseases, diabetes and cancer. J Am Coll Nutr 27, issue 6, 723S–734S.
56. RM van Dam , FB Hu , L Rosenberg (2006) Dietary calcium and magnesium, major food sources, and risk of type 2 diabetes in US black women. Diabetes Care 29, 2238–2243.
57. S Liu , HK Choi , E Ford (2006) A prospective study of dairy intake and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes Care 29, 1579–1584.
58. HK Choi , WC Willett , MJ Stampfer (2005) Dairy consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in men: a prospective study. Arch Intern Med 165, 997–1003.
59. R Villegas , YT Gao , Q Dai (2009) Dietary calcium and magnesium intakes and the risk of type 2 diabetes: the Shanghai Women's Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1059–1067.
60. A Vang , PN Singh , JW Lee (2008) Meats, processed meats, obesity, weight gain and occurrence of diabetes among adults: findings from Adventist Health Studies. Ann Nutr Metab 52, 96–104.
61. DA Snowdon & RL Phillips (1985) Does a vegetarian diet reduce the occurrence of diabetes? Am J Public Health 75, 507–512.
62. Y Song , JAE Manson , JE Buring (2004) A prospective study of red meat consumption and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly women: the women's health study. Diabetes Care 27, 2108–2115.
63. EJ Feskens , SM Virtanen , L Rasanen (1995) Dietary factors determining diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. A 20-year follow-up of the Finnish and Dutch cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. Diabetes Care 18, 1104–1112.
64. EJ Feskens , CH Bowles & D Kromhout (1991) Inverse association between fish intake and risk of glucose intolerance in normoglycemic elderly men and women. Diabetes Care 14, 935–941.
65. A Nkondjock & O Receveur (2003) Fish-seafood consumption, obesity, and risk of type 2 diabetes: an ecological study. Diabetes Metab 29, 635–642.
67. JB Ruidavets , V Bongard , J Dallongeville (2007) High consumptions of grain, fish, dairy products and combinations of these are associated with a low prevalence of metabolic syndrome. J Epidemiol Community Health 61, 810–817.
68. AI Adler , EJ Boyko , CD Schraer (1994) Lower prevalence of impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes associated with daily seal oil or salmon consumption among Alaska Natives. Diabetes Care 17, 1498–1501.
69. AH Harding , NE Day , KT Khaw (2004) Habitual fish consumption and glycated haemoglobin: the EPIC-Norfolk study. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 277–284.
70. P Bjerregaard , HS Pedersen & G Mulvad (2000) The associations of a marine diet with plasma lipids, blood glucose, blood pressure and obesity among the Inuit in Greenland. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 732–737.
71. M Kaushik , D Mozaffarian , D Spiegelman (2009) Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, fish intake, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 613–620.
72. PS Patel , SJ Sharp , N Robert (2009) Association between type of dietary fish and seafood intake and the risk of incident type 2 diabetes: the European Prospective Investigation of Cancer (EPIC)-Norfolk cohort study. Diabetes Care 32, 1857–1863.
73. MB Schulze , JE Manson , WC Willett (2003) Processed meat intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in younger and middle aged women. Diabetologia 46, 1465–1473.
75. JN Hall , S Moore , SB Harper (2009) Global variability in fruit and vegetable consumption. Am J Prev Med 36, 402–409.e5.
77. U Kanungsukkasem , N Ng , HV Minh (2009) Fruit and vegetable consumption in rural adults population in INDEPTH HDSS sites in Asia. Global Health Action Supplement 1 , DOI: 10.3402/gha.v2i0.1988.
81. IJ Perry , SG Wannamethee & MK Walker (1995) Prospective study of risk factors for development of non-insulin dependent diabetes in middle aged British men. BMJ 310, 560–564.
82. EB Rimm , J Chan & MJ Stampfer (1995) Prospective study for cigarette smoking, alcohol use, and the risk of diabetes in men. BMJ 310, 555–559.
84. FB Hu , TY Li , GA Colditz (2003) Television watching and other sedentary behaviors in relation to risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. JAMA 289, 1785–1791.
85. SC Maty , SA James & GA Kaplan (2010) Life-course socioeconomic position and incidence of diabetes mellitus among blacks and whites: The Alameda County Study, 1965–1999. Am J Public Health 100, 137–145.
86. KS Reddy , D Prabhakaran & P Jeemon (2007) Educational status and cardiovascular risk profile in Indians. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104, 16263–16268.
87. R Bhopal , L Hayes & M White (2002) Ethnic and socio-economic inequalities in coronary heart disease, diabetes and risk factors in Europeans and South Asians. J Public Health Med 24, 95–105.