This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PT James , R Leach , E Kalamara & M Shayeghi (2001) The worldwide obesity epidemic. Obes Res 9, Suppl., 228S–233S.
4. B Hernández , L Cuevas-Nasu , T Shamah-Levy , EA Monterrubio , CI Ramírez-Silva , R García-Feregrino , JA Rivera & J Sepúlveda-Amor (2003) Factors associated with overweight and obesity in Mexican school-age children: results from the National Nutrition Survey 1999. Salud Publica Mex 45, Suppl., s551–s557.
5. SL Gortmaker , A Must , AM Sobol , K Peterson , GA Colditz & WH Dietz (1996) Television viewing as a cause of increasing obesity among children in the United States, 1986–1990. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 150, 356–362.
6. MH Proctor , LL Moore , D Gao , LA Cupples , ML Bradlee , MY Hood & RC Ellison (2003) Television viewing and change in body fat from preschool to early adolescence: the Framingham Children’s Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 827–833.
7. RE Andersen , CJ Crespo , SJ Bartlett , LJ Cheskin & M Pratt (1998) Relationship of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level of fatness among children: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA 279, 938–942.
8. CS Berkey , HRH Rockett , MW Gillman & GA Colditz (2003) One-year changes in activity and in inactivity among 10- to 15-year old boys and girls: relationship to change in body mass index. Pediatrics 111, 836–842.
9. B Hernández , SL Gortmaker , GA Colditz , KE Peterson , NM Laird & S Parra-Cabrera (1999) Association of obesity with physical activity, television programs and other forms of video viewing among children in Mexico City. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23, 845–854.
10. RJ Hancox , BJ Milne & R Poulton (2004) Association between child and adolescent television viewing and adult health: a longitudinal birth cohort study. Lancet 364, 257–262.
11. LH Epstein , JN Roemmich , JL Robinson , RA Paluch , DD Winiewicz , JH Fuerch & TN Robinson (2008) A randomized trial of the effects of reducing television viewing and computer use on body mass index in young children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162, 239–245.
12. TN Robinson (1999) Reducing children’s television viewing to prevent obesity: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 282, 1561–1567.
13. SL Gortmaker , KE Peterson , JL Wiecha , AM Sobol , S Dixit , MK Fox & N Laird (1999) Reducing obesity via school-based interdisciplinary intervention among youth: Planet Health. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 153, 409–418.
14. EC Lazcano-Ponce , B Hernández , A Cruz-Valdez , B Allen , R Díaz , C Hernández , R Anaya & M Hernández-Avila (2003) Chronic disease risk factors among healthy adolescents attending public schools in the State of Morelos, Mexico. Arch Med Res 34, 222–236.
18. B Hernández , SL Gortmaker , NM Laird , GA Colditz , S Parra-Cabrera & KE Peterson (2000) Validity and reproducibility of a physical activity and inactivity questionnaire for Mexico City schoolchildren. Salud Publica Mex 42, 315–323.
19. BE Ainsworth , WL Haskell , MC Whitt (2000) Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, Suppl., S498–S504.
20. M Hernandez-Avila , I Romieu , S Parra , J Hernandez-Avila , H Madrigal & W Willett (1998) Validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess dietary intake of women living in Mexico City. Salud Publica Mex 40, 133–140.
22. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
24. EA Vandewater , M Shim & AG Caplovitz (2004) Linking obesity and activity level with children’s television and video game use. J Adolesc 27, 71–85.
25. CJ Crespo , E Smit , RP Troiano , SJ Bartlett , CA Macera & RE Andersen (2001) Television watching, energy intake and obesity in US children: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1988–1994. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155, 360–365.
26. J Giammattei , G Blix , HH Marshak , AO Wollitzer & DJ Pettitt (2003) Television watching and soft drink consumption: associations with obesity in 11- to 13 year old schoolchildren. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157, 882–886.
27. JC Eisenmann , RT Bartee , DT Smith , GJ Welk & Q Fu (2008) Combined influence of physical activity and television viewing on the risk of overweight in US youth. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 613–618.
28. NJ Blair , JM Thompson , PN Black , DM Becroft , PM Clark , DY Han , E Robinson , KE Waldie , CJ Wild & EA Mitchell (2007) Risk factors for obesity in 7-year-old European children: the Auckland Birthweight Collaborative Study. Arch Dis Child 92, 866–871.
29. LF Gomez , DC Parra , F Lobelo , B Samper , J Moreno , E Jacoby , DI Lucumi , S Matsudo & C Borda (2007) Television viewing and its association with overweight in Colombian children: results from the 2005 National Nutrition Survey: a cross sectional study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 41.
30. JA Mendoza , FJ Zimmerman & DA Christakis (2007) Television viewing, computer use, obesity, and adiposity in US preschool children. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 44.
31. AM Wolf , SL Gortmaker , L Cheung , HM Gray , DB Herzog & GA Colditz (1993) Activity, inactivity, and obesity: racial, ethnic, and age differences among schoolgirls. Am J Public Health 83, 1625–1627.
33. K Patrick , GJ Norman , KJ Calfas , JF Sallis , MF Zabinski , J Rupp & J Cella (2004) Diet, physical activity, and sedentary behaviors as risk factors for overweight in adolescence. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158, 385–390.
34. V Burke , LJ Beilin , K Durkin , WG Stritzke , S Houghton & CA Cameron (2006) Television, computer use, physical activity, diet and fatness in Australian adolescents. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 248–255.
35. KR Laurson , JC Eisenmann , GJ Welk , EE Wickel , DA Gentile & DA Walsh (2008) Combined influence of physical activity and screen time recommendations on childhood overweight. J Pediatr 153, 209–214.
36. EM Taveras , TJ Sandora , MC Shih , D Ross-Degnan , DA Goldmann & MW Gillman (2006) The association of television and video viewing with fast food intake by preschool-age children. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 2034–2041.
38. JL Wiecha , KE Peterson , DS Ludwig , J Kim , A Sobol & SL Gortmaker (2006) When children eat what they watch: impact of television viewing on dietary intake and body mass Index in youth. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160, 426–442.
39. J Kain , R Uauy , C Albala , F Vio , R Cerda & B Leyton (2004) School-based obesity prevention in Chilean primary school children: methodology and evaluation of a controlled study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 483–493.