This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MI Schmidt , BB Duncan , G Azevedo e Silva et al. (2011) Chronic non-communicable diseases in Brazil: burden and current challenges. Lancet 377, 1949–1961.
2. RB Levy-Costa , R Sichieri , NS Pontes et al. (2005) Household food availability in Brazil: distribution and trends (1974–2003). Rev Saude Publica 39, 530–540.
3. D Coitinho , CA Monteiro & BM Popkin (2002) What Brazil is doing to promote healthy diets and active lifestyles. Public Health Nutr 5, 263–267.
6. J Kearney (2010) Food consumption trends and drivers. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365, 2793–2807.
7. T Reardon & J Berdegué (2002) The rapid rise of supermarkets in Latin America: challenges and opportunities for development. Dev Policy Rev 20, 371–388.
8. C Hawkes (2006) Uneven dietary development: linking the policies and processes of globalization with the nutrition transition, obesity and diet-related chronic diseases. Global Health 2, 4.
9. JB Lignani , R Sichieri , L Burlandy et al. (2011) Changes in food consumption among the Programa Bolsa Familia participant families in Brazil. Public Health Nutr 14, 785–792.
10. J Reedy & SM Krebs-Smith (2010) Dietary sources of energy, solid fats, and added sugars among children and adolescents in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 1477–1484.
12. CA Monteiro , RB Levy , RM Claro et al. (2010) Increasing consumption of ultra-processed foods and likely impact on human health: evidence from Brazil. Public Health Nutr 14, 5–13.
13. JC Lobato , AJ Costa & R Sichieri (2009) Food intake and prevalence of obesity in Brazil: an ecological analysis. Public Health Nutr 12, 2209–2215.
14. RB Levy , RM Claro & CA Monteiro (2009) Sugar and total energy content of household food purchases in Brazil. Public Health Nutr 12, 2084–2091.
16. R Sichieri , RA Pereira , A Martins et al. (2008) Rationale, design, and analysis of combined Brazilian household budget survey and food intake individual data. BMC Public Health 8, 89.
21. AJ Roodenburg , BM Popkin & JC Seidell (2011) Development of international criteria for a front of package food labelling system: the International Choices Programme. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, 1190–1200.
23. RG Andrade , RA Pereira & R Sichieri (2003) Food intake in overweight and normal-weight adolescents in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Cad Saude Publica 19, 1485–1495.
24. S Nascimento , FS Barbosa , R Sichieri et al. (2011) Dietary availability patterns of the Brazilian macro-regions. Nutr J 10, 79.
25. DB Cunha , R Sichieri , RM de Almeida et al. (2011) Factors associated with dietary patterns among low-income adults. Public Health Nutr 14, 1579–1585.
26. DM Marchioni , MR Latorre , J Eluf-Neto et al. (2005) Identification of dietary patterns using factor analysis in an epidemiological study in Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo Med J 123, 124–127.
27. R Sichieri , JF Castro & AS Moura (2003) Factors associated with dietary patterns in the urban Brazilian population. Cad Saude Publica 19, Suppl. 1, S47–S53.
29. DB Cunha , RM de Almeida , R Sichieri et al. (2010) Association of dietary patterns with BMI and waist circumference in a low-income neighbourhood in Brazil. Br J Nutr 104, 908–913.
32. T Norat , S Bingham , P Ferrari et al. (2005) Meat, fish, and colorectal cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into cancer and nutrition. J Natl Cancer Inst 97, 906–916.
34. S Friel , AD Dangour , T Garnett et al. (2009) Public health benefits of strategies to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions: food and agriculture. Lancet 374, 2016–2025.
35. AJ McMichael , JW Powles , CD Butler et al. (2007) Food, livestock production, energy, climate change, and health. Lancet 370, 1253–1263.
36. M Maillot & A Drewnowski (2011) Energy allowances for solid fats and added sugars in nutritionally adequate US diets estimated at 17–33 % by a linear programming model. J Nutr 141, 333–340.
40. CA Monteiro , RB Levy , RM Claro et al. (2010) A new classification of foods based on the extent and purpose of their processing. Cad Saude Publica 26, 2039–2049.
45. RB Levy , RM Claro , DH Bandoni et al. (2012) Availability of added sugars in Brazil: distribution, food sources and time trends. Rev Bras Epidemiol 15, 3–12.
46. KW Dodd , PM Guenther , LS Freedman et al. (2006) Statistical methods for estimating usual intake of nutrients and foods: a review of the theory. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1640–1650.
48. S Barquera , L Hernandez-Barrera , I Campos-Nonato et al. (2009) Energy and nutrient consumption in adults: analysis of the Mexican National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica Mex 51, Suppl. 4, S562–S573.
49. C Whitton , SK Nicholson , C Roberts et al. (2011) National Diet and Nutrition Survey: UK food consumption and nutrient intakes from the first year of the rolling programme and comparisons with previous surveys. Br J Nutr 106, 1899–1914.