This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. FX Pi-Sunyer (1993) Short-term medical benefits and adverse effects of weight loss. Ann Intern Med 119, 722–726.
9. AR Ruelaz , P Diefenbach , B Simon et al. (2007) Perceived barriers to weight management in primary care – perspectives of patients and providers. J Gen Intern Med 22, 518–522.
10. CN Sciamanna , DF Tate , W Lang et al. (2000) Who reports receiving advice to lose weight? Results from a multistate survey. Arch Intern Med 160, 2334–2339.
12. SL Norris , X Zhang , A Avenell et al. (2004) Efficacy of pharmacotherapy for weight loss in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 164, 1395–1404.
16. KM McTigue , R Harris , B Hemphill et al. (2003) Screening and interventions for obesity in adults: summary of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 139, 933–949.
17. AG Tsai & TA Wadden (2009) Treatment of obesity in primary care practice in the United States: a systematic review. J Gen Intern Med 24, 1073–1079.
20. RR Wing , W Lang , TA Wadden et al. (2011) Benefits of modest weight loss in improving cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 34, 1481–1486.
22. PD Martin , PC Rhode , GR Dutton et al. (2006) A primary care weight management intervention for low-income African-American women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 1412–1420.
23. PD Martin , GR Dutton , PC Rhode et al. (2008) Weight loss maintenance following a primary care intervention for low-income minority women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 2462–2467.
26. JM Ashley , ST St Jeor , JP Schrage et al. (2001) Meal replacements in weight intervention. Arch Intern Med 161, 1599–1604.
27. I Willaing , S Ladelund , T Jorgensen et al. (2004) Nutritional counselling in primary health care: a randomized comparison of an intervention by general practitioner or dietician. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 11, 513–520.
28. TA Wadden , S Volger , DB Sarwer et al. (2011) A two-year randomized trial of obesity treatment in primary care practice. N Engl J Med 365, 1969–1979.
29. H Moore , CD Summerbell , DC Greenwood et al. (2003) Improving management of obesity in primary care: cluster randomised trial. BMJ 327, 1085.
30. LJ Appel , JM Clark , H-C Yeh et al. (2011) Comparative effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in clinical practice. N Engl J Med 365, 1959–1968.
31. JG Christian , DH Bessesen , TE Byers et al. (2008) Clinic-based support to help overweight patients with type 2 diabetes increase physical activity and lose weight. Arch Intern Med 168, 141–146.
32. SA Jebb , AL Ahern , AD Olson et al. (2011) Primary care referral to a commercial provider for weight loss treatment versus standard care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 378, 1485–1492.
33. E Logue , K Sutton , D Jarjoura et al. (2005) Transtheoretical model – chronic disease care for obesity in primary care: a randomized trial. Obes Res 13, 917–927.
34. M Bolognesi , CR Nigg , M Massarini et al. (2006) Reducing obesity indicators through brief physical activity counseling (PACE) in Italian primary care settings. Ann Behav Med 31, 179–185.
35. AC Ely , A Banitt , C Befort et al. (2008) Kansas primary care weighs in: a pilot randomized trial of a chronic care model program for obesity in 3 rural Kansas primary care practices. J Rural Health 24, 125–132.
36. NC ter Bogt , WJ Bemelmans , FW Beltman et al. (2009) Preventing weight gain: one-year results of a randomized lifestyle intervention. Am J Prev Med 37, 270–277.
37. DA Pritchard , J Hyndman & F Taba (1999) Nutritional counselling in general practice: a cost effective analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health 53, 311–316.
38. AG Tsai , TA Wadden , MA Rogers et al. (2010) A primary care intervention for weight loss: results of a randomized controlled pilot study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, 1614–1618.
39. A Sayburn (2010) Withdrawal of sibutramine leaves European doctors with just one obesity drug. BMJ 340, c477.
40. BJ Moore (2003) Supersized America: help your patients regain control of their weight. Cleve Clin J Med 70, 237–240.
43. EL Harvey , AM Glenny , SFL Kirk et al. (2002) An updated systematic review of interventions to improve health professionals’ management of obesity. Obes Rev 3, 45–55.
44. EL Harvey , AM Glenny , SF Kirk et al. (1999) A systematic review of interventions to improve health professionals’ management of obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23, 1213–1222.