5. C Galani & H Schneider (2007) Prevention and treatment of obesity with lifestyle interventions: review and meta-analysis. Int J Public Health 52, 348–359.
6. RP Mensink , A de Jong , D Lutjohann et al. (2010) Plant stanols dose-dependently decrease LDL-cholesterol concentrations, but not cholesterol-standardized fat-soluble antioxidant concentrations, at intakes up to 9 g/d. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 24–33.
7. WS Harris , PM Kris-Etherton & KA Harris (2008) Intakes of long-chain omega-3 fatty acid associated with reduced risk for death from coronary heart disease in healthy adults. Curr Atheroscler Rep 10, 503–509.
10. D Mozaffarian , LJ Appel & L Van Horn (2011) Components of a cardioprotective diet: new insights. Circulation 123, 2870–2891.
11. LL Moore (2011) Functional foods and cardiovascular disease risk: building the evidence base. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 18, 332–335.
12. X Cleanthous , M Noakes , GD Brinkworth et al. (2011) A pilot comprehensive lifestyle intervention program (CLIP) – comparison with qualitative lifestyle advice and simvastatin on cardiovascular risk factors in overweight hypercholesterolaemic individuals. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 21, 165–172.
13. M Tham & D Young (2008) The role of the general practitioner in weight management in primary care – a cross sectional study in general practice. BMC Fam Pract 9, 66.
16. L Silwer , R Wahlstrom & CS Lundborg (2010) Views on primary prevention of cardiovascular disease – an interview study with Swedish GPs. BMC Fam Pract 11, 44.
18. S Aoun , RJ Donovan , L Johnson et al. (2002) Preventive care in the context of men's health. J Health Psychol 7, 243–252.
19. EG Eakin , SP Lawler , C Vandelanotte et al. (2007) Telephone interventions for physical activity and dietary behavior change: a systematic review. Am J Prev Med 32, 419–434.
20. LJ Damschroder , LD Lutes , DE Goodrich et al. (2010) A small-change approach delivered via telephone promotes weight loss in veterans: results from the ASPIRE-VA pilot study. Patient Educ Couns 79, 262–266.
21. MF Van Wier , GA Ariens , JC Dekkers et al. (2009) Phone and e-mail counselling are effective for weight management in an overweight working population: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health 9, 6.
22. JJ Vanwormer , JL Boucher & NP Pronk (2006) Telephone-based counseling improves dietary fat, fruit, and vegetable consumption: a best-evidence synthesis. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1434–1444.
23. E Eakin , M Reeves , S Lawler et al. (2009) Telephone counseling for physical activity and diet in primary care patients. Am J Prev Med 36, 142–149.
24. NE Sherwood , RW Jeffery , EM Welsh et al. (2009) The drop it at last study: six-month results of a phone-based weight loss trial. Am J Health Promot 24, 378–383.
25. S Hardcastle , A Taylor , M Bailey et al. (2008) A randomised controlled trial on the effectiveness of a primary health care based counselling intervention on physical activity, diet and CHD risk factors. Patient Educ Couns 70, 31–39.
34. CL Craig , AL Marshall , M Sjostrom et al. (2003) International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity. Med Sci Sports Exerc 35, 1381–1395.
27. CS Levesque , GC Williams , D Elliot et al. (2007) Validating the theoretical structure of the Treatment Self-Regulation Questionnaire (TSRQ) across three different health behaviors. Health Educ Res 22, 691–702.
35. GC Williams , VM Grow , ZR Freedman et al. (1996) Motivational predictors of weight loss and weight-loss maintenance. J Pers Soc Psychol 70, 115–126.
36. MN Silva , PN Vieira , SR Coutinho et al. (2008) Using self-determination theory to promote physical activity and weight control: a randomized controlled trial in women. J Behav Med 33, 110–122.
38. BE Ainsworth , WL Haskell , AS Leon et al. (1993) Compendium of physical activities: classification of energy costs of human physical activities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25, 71–80.
40. J LaRosa (2007) Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol reduction: the end is more important than the means. Am J Cardiol 100, 240–242.
42. NE Sherwood , RW Jeffery , NP Pronk et al. (2006) Mail and phone interventions for weight loss in a managed-care setting: weigh-to-be 2-year outcomes. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1565–1573.
43. PM Kris-Etherton , DS Taylor , H Smiciklas-Wright et al. (2002) High-soluble-fiber foods in conjunction with a telephone-based, personalized behavior change support service result in favorable changes in lipids and lifestyles after 7 weeks. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 503–510.
44. SM Byrne , Z Cooper & CG Fairburn (2004) Psychological predictors of weight regain in obesity. Behav Res Ther 42, 1341–1356.
45. DB Wilson , RE Johnson , RM Jones et al. (2010) Patient weight counseling choices and outcomes following a primary care and community collaborative intervention. Patient Educ Couns 79, 338–343.
47. KH Webber , DF Tate , DS Ward et al. (2009) Motivation and its relationship to adherence to self-monitoring and weight loss in a 16-week Internet behavioral weight loss intervention. J Nutr Educ Behav 42, 161–167.
48. JA Linde , AJ Rothman , AS Baldwin et al. (2006) The impact of self-efficacy on behavior change and weight change among overweight participants in a weight loss trial. Health Psychol 25, 282–291.
49. M Bas & S Donmez (2009) Self-efficacy and restrained eating in relation to weight loss among overweight men and women in Turkey. Appetite 52, 209–216.
50. MJ Vale , MV Jelinek , JD Best et al. (2003) Coaching patients on achieving cardiovascular health (COACH): a multicentre randomized trial in patients with coronary heart disease. Arch Int Med 163, 2775–2783.
51. KM Emmons , CM McBride , E Puleo et al. (2005) Project PREVENT: a randomized trial to reduce multiple behavioral risk factors for colon cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14, 1453–1459.
52. WL Hellerstedt & RW Jeffery (1997) The effects of a telephone-based intervention on weight loss. Am J Health Promot 11, 177–182.
54. S Singh , VK Somers , MM Clark et al. (2010) Physician diagnosis of overweight status predicts attempted and successful weight loss in patients with cardiovascular disease and central obesity. Am Heart J 160, 934–942.